x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What if Cray builds a HPC device?

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-18 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Imagine that Cray computer decides to make a personal computer. It has a 150 MHz processor, 200 megabytes of RAM, 1500 megabytes of disk storage, a screen resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels, relies entirely on voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What's the first question that the computer community asks?

"Is it PC compatible?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://epore.mit.edu/~tgowrish/tgowrish/comp.html

My first response was "Why does it have to be PC compatible?" I'll use it on its own, provided it has apps I can use. On compatibility, it will have to work with devices like pccards, printers etc.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-19 10:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1024x1024 AND fits in your shirt pocket. I'll get my electron microscope back out I then.

If it fits in your pocket the implication is still PDA. The size is synonymous with it. People what sync and open standards.
The use of "PC" is generally Windows, but is fully interchangeable with Linux, Unix as much as it is with Mac and Amiga.

There are a lot of us that don't use H/PC as laptop replacements - I'm one of them. So long as the sync is there - and it is a good stable junk free sync (Not Palm Desk in other words). I'm happy.

I understand your point... and if Cray released a £160 super computer H/PC - I'd be there

although It'd need a kayboard
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-27 5:34 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Only 150mhz...from a CRAY...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 14