x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

File associations

KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

One of the things I found odd when I moved to the J720 from the 660LX platform was that I could actually open Excel (.xls) files, even though I couldn't save them. It was handy for a while, but now that I have PlanMaker not only is it totally useless, but it's problematic.

Since the xlsfile key associates Excel files with Pocket Excel, that is the default program for opening. I would, of course, like to associate .xls files to PlanMaker, rather than PExcel. Is this possible?

Using Total Commander 2.0, I edited HKCR\xlsfile\Shell\Open\Command\Default to the location of PlanMaker. I tried it both with the replaceable parameter (%1) and without. Neither worked, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this isn't possible.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 6:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Kenny,

While I don't have PM installed to help you fiddle. I would suggest that you have a look at the PMD registration, and copy the command for that directly into the xls one. That would offer you the best chance of success.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-01-10 5:01 PM

Kenny,

While I don't have PM installed to help you fiddle. I would suggest that you have a look at the PMD registration, and copy the command for that directly into the xls one. That would offer you the best chance of success.

What? You couldn't come up with an easier solution? Geesh, I expect more from you, C:Amie! [apply with a heavy dose of sarcasm]

For those of you following along at home, you'll find C:Amie's suggestion to mean the PMC key, not the PlanMaker.Document key, which is merely an alias for PMC.

This is so simple and have used it with success on the desktop. Thanks for illuminating me in the blinding flash of the obvious!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

erm, just use gsfinder or some other program to make the new file association.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

KBoyKool - 2006-01-10 5:51 PM

One of the things I found odd when I moved to the J720 from the 660LX platform was that I could actually open Excel (.xls) files, even though I couldn't save them.

Not sure what you mean, by you couldn't save .xls files?

I use Pocket Excel (all the time) to open. xls files and save .xls files on my J720!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean?

As for File Associations......

Total Commander makes it easy to setup file associations or you can use the File Association program available free from Microsoft in Power Toys for HPC Pro 3.0.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 2:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2006-01-11 10:36 AM

I use Pocket Excel (all the time) to open. xls files and save .xls files on my J720!

Yes, but not without losing formatting. Although, to be fair, this is lost upon opening. So yes, I misspoke. Don't confuse me! I know what I meant! ;+)

Pocket Excel (HPC2000) does open and save .xls files, which its counterpart on 2.0 could not do. However, the reason I made the move to PM was to allow the formatting of cells (and graphic inserts) to remain unchanged. Now if I could just get SoftMaker to add Validation in the next PM release... :+D
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.148 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9