x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 9:58 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a little dilemma I'd like to share with fellow H/PC frantics. Okay, I have a little money (for once!) that I'd like to spend on my very deserving and recently brought HPC. I got a choice between... A Wireless Card or a Storage Card.

WiFi would be good for internet on the go and wardriving (I so wanna do it!!), and Storage would be good cause the poor A-11A only has 6MB of memory. HOWEVER...

Being in Perth... In Australia... There are NO WiFi spots ANYWHERE!!! Well, there are, right in the centre of Perth, *about 2* but they are no use to me. And the Storage Card is cool, but I dunno if I need the storage.... I mean, I ain't gonna buy any software *I wanna! I wanna support a dying industry, but I got no money... *, and documents are only small little things.

So yeah, I'm not sure what to do, so I'm asking you lot. Or, should I wait an age and save up for a Jornada? Colour is such a luxury!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 10:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'd say go for a storage card!

the casio's AA batteries can't last for more than a few minutes with wlan.

if you ever get the jornada you can get a wlan card for it, its li-ion battery won't mind it too much!
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 10:20 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for that And, I suppose, any storage card will work in a Jornada!

BUT... Do I get PCMCIA or get an adapter with a CF card?

Ugh, I didn't know about the AA Bat probs. Thanks. And I'll keep the wireless thing in mind. You never know, Perth might wake up....

Edited by Ryobi 2006-01-12 10:31 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

any CF card... CF card + pcmcia-cf adapter
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sure thing Now, to keep an eye out on EBay...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Get both if you can. They are not too much $. Do you have wifi at your home? I think I missed what HPC you have. Oh I see you have a 720.

Edited by Yoldering 2006-01-12 7:37 PM
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:40 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have WiFi at home, yeah. But there are no hotspots here, this side of Australia is still 'backwards' *dare I say it*. And, I've been told kindly above that AA bateries don't handle it.

Ohhhh, btw, I don't have a 720 Wish I did!! Maybe you should study my signature just that little bit closer.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well if you want to use wifi only at home and have an ac adapter for the casio, you can use wifi, but only with AC power
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ahhh, but alas, by little device has no AC power. What a pity.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I saw it was on the way, so I figured it was a safe bet. It is so nice to use wifi on the Jornada at home. Hope your 720 comes soon.
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 7:53 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Heh heh, sure, on the way. As soon as I find the money.

--If anyone has a cheap J720 for Australia, talk to me!!!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 8:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I vote for buying a flash card instead of a wifi card. Chances are good a CF card will work in any future hpc you get. Like time, work expands to fill the void. Once you have extra memory you'll find a use for it.

I have 512mb in my Tungsten, (a 16mb unit) probably overkill at this point but each day a bit more is stored on the card. It will eventually be filled.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 9:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ryobi - 2006-01-12 6:40 PM

I have WiFi at home, yeah. But there are no hotspots here, this side of Australia is still 'backwards' *dare I say it*. And, I've been told kindly above that AA bateries don't handle it.

Ohhhh, btw, I don't have a 720 Wish I did!! Maybe you should study my signature just that little bit closer.

I need to stop going to work at 5AM; I thought your signature said waiting instead of wanting. I'm tired... There are 720's going on ebay for a good price. I have not checked for a while but there is a thread I started on HPC bay on 720's for $130 or close. I will look and reply to that thread with an update.
EDIT: here is the link. http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2992&posts=17#M29058

Edited by Yoldering 2006-01-12 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
Ryobi Page Icon Posted 2006-01-12 10:34 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

wallythacker - 2006-01-13 9:44 AM

Once you have extra memory you'll find a use for it.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I'm amazed my 3MB storage goes as far as it does. *I like to keep half for Program Memory... I can't stand waiting! *

Yoldering - 2006-01-13 10:37 AM

I need to stop going to work at 5AM; I thought your signature said waiting instead of wanting. I'm tired... There are 720's going on ebay for a good price. I have not checked for a while but there is a thread I started on HPC bay on 720's for $130 or close.

Hahah! Yes, 5AM is bad for you!!! Thanks for that. There seems to be a lot around... Hopefully, when I get my cash, they will still be around.

Stupid PPCs stealing our developers - Rant Over.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10