x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hex Editing Question

Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 8:13 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm using frhed as my hex editor and its character maps don't allow for the insertion of smart quotes, smart apostrophes, and em dashes. Is there any way I can insert those?

I know next-to-nothing about hex editing, so please talk to me like I'm stupid

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm what are you trying to achieve?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 1:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to enter these into an application?

The Hex editor has to use the correct encoding type and character set. Usually this is going to be ASCII 7, you cannot there for enter a Unicode (by the sounds of it you might be) character into the program.

Try it with a different Hex editor just to be sure that it's not an application limitation - or ascertain the encoding type
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

There's some special character abandonware, and I was wondering if I could insert smart quotes and em dashes in place of some of other more arcane characters. From what you say, it doesn't look like it can be pulled off...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 5:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Character information actually comes out of the system page code, rather than from an application library. If I'm understanding you correctly, then all you'd do would be to change the label, not the actual resulting character.

Oh and with CE you dertainly need a Unicode capable Hex Editor.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-01-14 9:17 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I found a hex editor that does unicode, and in place of a small a with an umlaut, I put in a left smart quote. The code was 93. The program ran, but when I put tries to insert the smart quote in a PW document, instead was inserted the ubiquitous "empty square" that character maps seem to show when they can't produce the character. Interesting because smart quotes do show up in PW docs, even if the program can't produce them itself.

I'm working with a Velo 1, CE 2.0. It's no big deal--I just wanted smart quotes and em dashes for my non-Textmaker docs.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.132 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8