x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Multitasking on a NEC MobilePro 790

1 2
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I finally got my MobilePro 790 hooked up to the internet, via dial-up connection on its internal modem. And I tried a little surfing, using the WorldTalk browser. That went well, then I tried to get up my Winamp player to have music in the background, and the little handheld froze. That is, the Winamp player froze.

So it would seem that you can't surf the Internet and have music playing at the same time - or am I doing something wrong?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Depends on how much program memory you have avalible, the more the better multi tasking will be...I guess the processer helps to, but like i said i noticed the more program memory you provide to the system the better multi tasking will be...
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 12:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

ok, this is the part that is confusing me. There is storage memory - where you install programs, and then there is program memory. You can't install programs into program memory - and it doesn't make a slide adjustment - such as with the PC Pockets on Windows CE 3.0. On the PocketPC you can manually adjust the allotment of RAM space between Storage and Program memory - but as far as I can see, you can't do that with Handheld PCs.

So, how could cut down the program memory?

I'm looking at my WR-Tools ResInfo right now - and Winamp is playing - and it says for Program Memory 5732KB used and 10MB free.

I also see that some programs - like my AppSwitch, TapRight, SoundWidget (all small programs) are running in the background too - but they are not showing up on the traybar. Which has me a little concerned.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

On handhelds you can adjust from Stroage to program . on Jornada 720,728 and 820 you can,. Intermec 6651, LG Phenom 120,220 it has been awhile for that one.

S/F,
CEYA!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

quiche - 2006-01-13 6:48 PM

On the PocketPC you can manually adjust the allotment of RAM space between Storage and Program memory - but as far as I can see, you can't do that with Handheld PCs.
I also see that some programs - like my AppSwitch, TapRight, SoundWidget (all small programs) are running in the background too - but they are not showing up on the traybar. Which has me a little concerned.

you can!!! even CE 1.0 could do it it just won't be automatic, it is always manual. just move the slider in the direction you want it to go. allow as much free program ram and as little storage ram (1-2 MB is usually ok) as possible.

dunno why your apps won't show up in the system tray, too low on program ram? soft reset.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You all are right. I just assumed this was like my Hitachi handheld with the hpcpro.

So, I've begun the tedious process of moving programs onto a storage card. What programs must stay in main memory?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wifi drivers must remain in ram. With dedicated tweaking almost everything else can be relocated to the storage card.

Winamp is a resource intensive player. Try GSplayer, it seems a touch easier on the cpu load.

edit: Does anyone know if hpc modems are hardware or software based? Softmodems are notorious for eating cpu cycles. Hardware based modems use 1-2% of the cpu to do their thing.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-13 4:11 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 4:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmonex - 2006-01-13 11:44 AM

quiche - 2006-01-13 6:48 PM

On the PocketPC you can manually adjust the allotment of RAM space between Storage and Program memory - but as far as I can see, you can't do that with Handheld PCs.

you can!!! even CE 1.0 could do it

Unfortunately WM5 does not let you do it, unless there is some kind of third party utility...
wallythacker

Softmodems are notorious for eating cpu cycles. Hardware based modems use 1-2% of the cpu to do their thing.

maybe that is quiche's problem with multitasking...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-01-13 4:19 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 4:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Most Hpc modems are soft modems, but there are a few out there with hard modems, mainly the subnote sized hpc's
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Winamp is a resource intensive player. Try GSplayer, it seems a touch easier on the cpu load.

I tried GSplayer momentarily - but it's sound wasn't as good as WinAMP. I know, I want everything. And I also fear that the issue might be the CPU usage.

But I'm going to try to increase the Program Memory - that's what I'm working on now.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 5:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

This might not be a viable option, however, have you tried WMP?
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jean - by WMP - I take it you mean Windows Media Player. Yes, it came installed with that. But the sound wasn't so good. Also yesterday I put a PC card in and loaded it with music. Problem with WMP, you have to through the trouble of creating play-lists rather than just choosing directories as you can do with WinAMP. Plus it couldn't do some songs - wrong media. WinAMP is more versatile and can even do OGG music.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 6:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As can TCPMP:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=105

It can also 'do' video, accepts most universal playlist formats and direct file playing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-13 10:14 PM

Unfortunately WM5 does not let you do it, unless there is some kind of third party utility...

WM5 cannot let you do it as everything that's to do with storage goes into ROM, RAM is for running programs only.

however some innovative hackers developed a ramdisk app that will let you use some part of the ram for storage iirc... dunno if it is still in beta. at the beginning it was quite buggy i remember that
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Okay - I download TCPMP as C:Amie recommended. It is better than WinAMP.

First it can be on your storage card. Second, it has a somewhat better sound. Third, and most importantly, it does use less CPU.

I have ITaskMgr that let's you see the CPU usage.

With WINAMP - the CPU usage was around 85%

With TCPMP - it was around 60%

(keeping in mind, during both tests, I had my usual programs running in the background like WR-Tools ResInfo, My Tools, etc.)

I also cleared up 4mb from my program memory by uninstalling and reinstalling programs to the storage card - so I'm running on around 20MB there.

However, the difference between WinAMP and TCPMP did boil down to CPU usage. And as soon as I popped up another program with WinAMP playing - the CPU usage went up to the 100% and WinAMP started acting wonky so I had to do a soft reset.

TCPMP is a nice program. Thanks for referring me to it, C:Amie.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11