x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linksys WPC11 series Wireless cards

Jorkapp Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 1:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello everyone,

I was browsing at wireless cards for my H/PC, and consulted to the HCL when checking choices. I noticed that you have the WPC11 series listed as Unknown compatibility with anything beyond CE 1.x.

I consulted Linksys, and dug up this page:
Linksys Link

Looks like Linksys has official drivers for the WPC11 series cards - good news for us H/PC users! Perhaps the HCL should be updated to include this new information.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 2:26 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well as far as i know, the linksys isn't listed as compatible because when wifi was still a new thing to the hpc community, and the many pieces of information about chipsets and drivers (not all drivers are created equal not even for the same chipset) were most confusing, many people had issues with linksys cards.

i'm however sure that they're as fully compatible as, say, a senao so i agree hcl could contain more definitive information maybe
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 3:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

For one thing, there are 4 versions of the WPC11. The official driver is only for "ver 2.5" and "ver 3", both having the PRISM chip. The original (no ver number) is not supported, and "ver 4" is a CardBus so it wouldn't work. And chances are if you buy one from the net, it is a "ver 4" unless explicitly stated. For this reason alone I think a lot of caution is required to list the compatibility of this card.

I have a ver 3, and I can confirm that it works for my Jornada 728. Please see this thread for more info:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=622

And as you can see from that thread, I also have a WCF12 which works just fine with a CF-PCMCIA adapter on the Jornada. Furthermore it also works with my Smartbook using the built-in BUFFALO drivers.

So if you are a big Linksys fan, and trust no other brand, your best bet is getting the WCF12. You would need a lot of luck to locate a WPC11 ver 3.

By the way, there is also a WCF11 which I still haven't gotten my hands on. And finally there's the WCF54G, which only one HPC user has tried so far - Rich:
http://www.hpcnec.com/802g.htm
 Top of the page
chasmanor
chasmanor Page Icon Posted 2006-01-16 9:36 AM
#
There are lots of WPC11 cards on eBay for arounc $20. I have them for both of my Jornada 720s and they work great. One is available here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-WPC11-version-3-v3-Wireless-802-11b-PCMCIA-card_W0QQitemZ5854452011QQcategoryZ45000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.136 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9