x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Network share lag

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-17 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It takes my MP880 anywhere from 45-60 seconds to ask for a password after I click on a network resource. My J690 had the same intolerable lag. My hpc2k/ppc units respond instantly. Normal internet activity is fine with quick responses.

Are there any patches to 2.11 to specifically address the long wait to access network shares? Anything I can adjust configuration wise to reduce the delay?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-17 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, be glad that they at least can access shares with passwords. my win98 subnote couldn't
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-17 9:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Really, that very weird. The lag is my only major issue with the 880. If I could only get the stubborn rom out of my 790 and into the 880 the problem would go away.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 4:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wallythacker, the issue is usually down to a DNS problem. The uber-accurate answer is to install a WINS server... but I'm sure you were not looking to spend £600 to do it.

The second option may be in the form of putting the IP address of the pc you're attempting to connect to in the primary WINS server IP on your LAN adapters configuration. This however will only do for one PC.

A third option would be to use a Hosts file. Instructions on doing that are here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0014.asp
Note that there is a link to a Hex calculator (runs off of the web server) which I wrote on the page to make things nice and easy for you.

You may not see a huge improvment in load times, but you should see something.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Chris, thanks for the tips.

I set wins to my desktop and that helped a fair bit. Adding the host entry didn't seem to improve or degrade the time lag.
If/when I get the rom swap done (790->880) this issue will be moot. Fow now I will bear the 20 second lag.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11