x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

neat little freeware program for handhelds

quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-19 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You all might have heard of it. Today I discovered a neat little freeware handheld program - which is an application manager -- Taskmaster. Here's the link -

http://www.truedimensions.com/taskmaster/overview.htm

You can put a shortcut to it in your start-up menu and it comes up replacing your "show desktop" icon with a menu bar that allows you to switch to another opened window or close windows or show the desktop.

It's always nice to find another program that works on handhelds. Especially when it is free. The handheld version comes in the SH3 and MIPs variant. Then there is a version for Palm Sized and one for pockets (the one for pockets has the arm type).
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 2:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I personally don't find this program that useful... BUT...

Man, look at all his Lego creations... I have yet to watch the stop motion movies, but if it's anything like those on lego.com... I saved the link, so I'll watch them soon.

P.S. sorry for going OT on this thread; hope you see my reasons tho
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 2:43 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had TaskMaster for a few months now. I like it too. Very helpful for closing and switching tasks, a major shortcoming in CE for Palm-size PCs. Relatively small footprint too.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 3:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2006-01-19 11:43 PM
Very helpful for closing and switching tasks, a major shortcoming in CE for Palm-size PCs.

If you said Pocket PC, then I would agree, and so do dozens of authors who wrote something just to close a program in PPC (yes I know it's laughable).

But CE? Ok, my experiences are limited to HPC2000 and CE.Net, but isn't it simple enough as is?

Switching tasks - a single tap on the taskbar OR alt-tab
Closing a task - a single tap on the X button OR alt-F4
(ok most of you don't have an F4, but I do )

So why do we need this program again?

Edited by takwu 2006-01-20 3:05 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 3:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It doesn't sound like you have a Palm-size PC. A lot of apps for that platform never bothered to add an "Exit" command (or an "X" button on the app bar) to their apps. Alt+tap? Where's "Alt" (or for that matter F4) on the Palm-size PC (which has no keyboard)?

This all shows the great advantage of the H/PC, to be sure. But some of us have some curiosity for the other side, and have picked up some of those toys too.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek,

I see in your signature that you have a Dell Axim X5. Just got one myself. Any tips or problems???

The Axim is rather overwhelming me now. So much to it. I've been avoiding setting it up.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 3:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah I never had a Palm-size PC. I thought the interface was pretty much like HPC, except that the taskbar has no texts, just icons. And I thought the X button was a standard thing, like you can only get rid of it (or grey it out) if you specifically coded that window as non-closable.

Of course, in the case of Pocket PC, the X or OK button was clearly an optional feature, until WM2003 I think.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 3:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

quiche - 2006-01-20 12:20 AM

CE Geek,

I see in your signature that you have a Dell Axim X5. Just got one myself. Any tips or problems???

The Axim is rather overwhelming me now. So much to it. I've been avoiding setting it up.

I don't recall having much trouble. But I've had it 2 years, so it's been a while since I've done anything major (except a couple of restores). Only advice I can think of at the moment is: Don't carry one on your belt while riding a motorcycle. The innards held up when I picked up a nasty case of road rash in 2004, but the screen was broken pretty bad. (Hitting the pavement on that side didn't help.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 5:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-01-20 9:03 AM

Closing a task - a single tap on the X button OR alt-F4
(ok most of you don't have an F4, but I do )

don't worry, everyone can have F4 with a little program (not this little program in this thread )
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 5:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-01-20 9:34 AM

Yeah I never had a Palm-size PC. I thought the interface was pretty much like HPC, except that the taskbar has no texts, just icons. And I thought the X button was a standard thing, like you can only get rid of it (or grey it out) if you specifically coded that window as non-closable.

Of course, in the case of Pocket PC, the X or OK button was clearly an optional feature, until WM2003 I think.

well well even palmsize pc's used aygshell so what do you expect

it is still an optional feature. still no real exit. (dunno aboit WM5, only WM2003(SE))

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-20 5:21 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 10:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WM5 has no real exit either
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-20 2:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

SnoopSoft's KillMe works well too. Just a double-tap on the tray icon. (Don't know if it works in Windows Mobile 5, but I imagine it's worth a try.) It's on a lot of sites - I'm pretty sure I saw it in PocketPCCity and Tucows among others.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10