x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 680 sound and backup battery problem

RollingThunder75 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 10:12 AM
#
Avatar image of RollingThunder75
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I have a problem with the sound and the backup battery for my HP Jornada 680. At one point I had sound and the backup battery was working properly. The clumsy person I am, I dropped it and since then I have not had sound and the back up battery warning notification comes up periodically. I am not exactly sure if I should try to disassemble the unit in an attempt to find out if there is an easy fix that I can do on my own or if it is better to leave it alone, as everything else is working properly. The unit acts like it is playing sound, but I hear nothing. The buttons for recording on the front of the unit light up and appear to be functioning, but again, no sound. I would like to know if there are any easy suggestions, so that I can fix this if possible! Any help would be appreciated
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 11:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interesting, ok

First off, the coin cell can be easily replaced, and that will most likely clear up the warning message. In dropping the unit you could have shock discharged the cell. It's not unheard of.

As to the sound. If the coin cell shock discharged, it's not a completely daft idea that it could have damaged something... however it'd most likely hurt the RAM/CPU so I think we can rule it out.
What is more likely in my mind is that simply the speaker terminals have become disconnected. You'll need to opton it up, realign them and with any luck all will be well.
 Top of the page
RollingThunder75 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 11:52 AM
#
Avatar image of RollingThunder75
H/PC Newbie

Ok, I have attempted to get into the area where the internal speaker is and I find that taking the screws out of the CF Card/PCMCIA slot does not allow me to get to the speaker. I do notice that the slot is attached somewhere inside, but I would like to know if I will need to open the whole unit to get to it. Also, if anyone has assembly instruction, I think I could get into it. I have not tried a new backup battery yet, but thought I would tackle the speaker issue first
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 12:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

RollingThunder75 - 2006-01-22 4:52 PM

Ok, I have attempted to get into the area where the internal speaker is and I find that taking the screws out of the CF Card/PCMCIA slot does not allow me to get to the speaker. I do notice that the slot is attached somewhere inside, but I would like to know if I will need to open the whole unit to get to it. Also, if anyone has assembly instruction, I think I could get into it. I have not tried a new backup battery yet, but thought I would tackle the speaker issue first
You have to go in. Start with removing the keyboard and work down.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 12