x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bsquare backup = bad?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 8:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

This is all empirical.

Note that the following doesn't apply to any other backup program other than bsquare. The backup programs for my 6651 and 720 and ppcs don't exhibit this behaivour.

I noticed while doing a backup to my microdrive that the seeking never stopped. The microdrive was kept busy clicking away for 15 minutes or better. This is while bsquare was busy backing up the various registry keys.

I got to thinking if I was backing up to a flash card and each seek I heard was also a write operation then the flash card is getting thoroughly pounded. As we know, flash has a limited write cycle life, so keeping writing down is a good thing.

But it would appear bsquare backup is accelerating the demise of flash cards with intensive writing during a backup.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

good grief. bsquare backup on the bsquare phh backs up to the internal flash by default.

hey the good news it is nand flash which can bear 10x more writing than nor flash.

btw, each bit can be written x times, not the whole card.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 9:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yea, I was aware of the bit business.

I solved my problem by doing the backup to the network share. It goes much faster. After it's finished I copy the backup file to my hpc. I'm guessing I'm saving a ton of wear on the microdrive/flash cards.

I was backing up a lot to flash (before the new year) and I killed two 256mb Sandisk CFs. I'll bet bsquare played a role in the dead cards. I'm going to make sure I buy lifetime warranty flash cards from now on. (pny for example)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-21 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-22 3:34 AM

Yea, I was aware of the bit business.

I solved my problem by doing the backup to the network share. It goes much faster. After it's finished I copy the backup file to my hpc. I'm guessing I'm saving a ton of wear on the microdrive/flash cards.

I was backing up a lot to flash (before the new year) and I killed two 256mb Sandisk CFs. I'll bet bsquare played a role in the dead cards. I'm going to make sure I buy lifetime warranty flash cards from now on. (pny for example)

geez. i will never backup to flashrom again if possible (not always )!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you say this is just exemplary of the registry backup phase, may be skipping that part and manually exporting the registry from a registry editor would perform the same operation.
Of course if it does something else in that process, then it is going to be a bad idea.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9