x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 2:35 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

For some reason, I keep thinking of the 720 as a larger H/PC. I guess that is from my compaq C-810 experiences...

Obviously, it is the smallest of the bunch.

Wow, the Sig 2's performance blows the 728 away. It run Linux?

(Hahah, just kidding)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 8:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that the SigIII wins hands down on the looks front in CmoneX's photos, followed by the NEC.

Anyone for a beauty pagent?
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 1:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ceya - 2006-02-12 8:10 AM

http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_sig2.shtml

if you can read German they have a good review.

no i can't remember. most paper work is in storage, I will look to see if I have it.

S/F,
CEYA!

Oh I posted FOMA by Sony but it is NTT DoCoMo by Foma phone was Sony.

hehe, this review was written by me in English and English only. I know zero German.

here, http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_sig2_english.shtml

the German version was prepared by rothberger.net.

As I started to use TFT LCD HPC long and long time ago, i was not satisfied with the screen of S2, the so-called HPA screen. for me, still, lots of ghosts.

The screen simply wastes the powerful CPU and its separate VIDEO Card, MediaQ 200. unfortunately, MQ200 is outdated and TCPMP's author PIcard long ago indicated that he could not make optmizations for it.

some good news:

1.there is dummy GX.dll from JP. it can significantly boosts S2's video performances. Playing original VCD files in full screen style (not 100% scale) is more than 100% in TCPMP.

this performance Simply kick the axxs, if only the screen can be improved.

2. the foma converter can be (easily, at least for some) home-made. Some detailed explanations available on the net.

Just read my English Review and u will surely get the most out of this cutie.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

geez posts disappeared sorry for that
hope they'll reappear

ok, now only my replies are missing........

PS: linux is available for the sig2 and the compaq c series isnt any smaller than the j72x IMO
i'll test video in GAPI too, and with newer tcpmp versions and larger video files, etc.

iamjoe: i dont see whats this hype about TFT, i have several (four + a half) tft hpc's and i dont see it...
surely a tft monitor is better for the pc than the crt, but on a pda dstn is ok for me
true, the sig2 is not tft, but it is a nice dstn, as i said less ghosting than on j72x! so i1m happy with that! very nice really.
thanks for reminding me of gx.dll and for the foma idea, do you have some good link about making a foma-usb converter?? thanks.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 2:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2006-02-12 5:06 AM
Anyone for a beauty pagent?

Yes I think Sig III is probably the prettiest HPC of all. MP900/900C are good with the colors too (similar scheme, reversed compared to Sig3), but shape-wise they are a bit too blocky.

*OT* Actually one of the NEC laptops has a very similar color scheme to these two HPCs.
http://121ware.com/product/pc/200405/lavie/common/gallery/lvrx/index.html
The palm rest area was even coated with black textured rubber. I liked it a lot when I saw it in Hong Kong. Too bad I was not in the market for a laptop.
http://www.nec.com.hk/english/prod_ser/product/product_notebook_detail.php?product_id=36&product_cat_id=5&product_sub_cat_id=23&discon=N
*/OT*

I think the Jornada 728 is really very pretty in its own way. The slightly curved silver exterior with the blue metallic graphics strip is simply artistic. You don't see that kind of design in computer products anywhere else.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 12:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-02-13 8:08 AM

*OT* Actually one of the NEC laptops has a very similar color scheme to these two HPCs.

wow...

I think the Jornada 728 is really very pretty in its own way. The slightly curved silver exterior with the blue metallic graphics strip is simply artistic. You don't see that kind of design in computer products anywhere else.

yes!!!
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 12:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Speaking of the 728 besides the memory increase of 32 megs, is there really a difference between the 720? I've read the screen brightness is improved as is the battery life. Any truth to that?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The battery has a higher capacity, so even with the increased RAM, it should theoretically last longer.

The OS is also a little bit more updated than the 720 build.

And as I keep saying, the exterior looks way better. I wish I could take better pictures, but these are what I have. The blue strip is metallic and you can sort of see the reflection in the angled shot.

(exterior.JPG)

(angled.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments exterior.JPG (64KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments angled.JPG (54KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 12:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Here's my next question, would $400.00 dollars be a reasonable offer for one. I would be looking for one in MINT condition for that price, but it would only have to be the unit itself, AC, sync cables, would be a plus but not required. Thoughts on pricing?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Maul - 2006-02-13 6:34 PM

Speaking of the 728 besides the memory increase of 32 megs, is there really a difference between the 720? I've read the screen brightness is improved as is the battery life. Any truth to that?

well i did compare my j728 to a few j720's and it (728) was always brighter! so maybe there's some truth to that..

as for the pricing, i think (just my humble opinion!) it a little ridiculous to pay 400$ for a j728 when a 720 is so much cheaper. it IS worth the extra money but not 400 for me. (got mine for 300$, and that price was really pushing the limits for me)

but it's true they often go fot 400$.
 Top of the page
RandomInsano Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 7:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Heh. $200 is probably the most I will ever spend on an HPC. Or anything non-x86. I'm sorry to say, but it's not worth it for me otherwise. Battery life is nice, as is size... but they're rather limited in software (compared to librettos).

I still think the SigII is best looking. I'm just a sucker for white electronics. Makes me miss my Compaq Armada 7370...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow! Sig2 looks really nice! From the pics, it has a very polished finish huh, cmonex? Congrats on your new gadget!

One more member to the family!

I was reading the review ... so Taiwanese are having access to it easily??
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2006-02-14 1:35 AM

Wow! Sig2 looks really nice! From the pics, it has a very polished finish huh, cmonex? Congrats on your new gadget!

One more member to the family!

yes it is a nice finish! unit is in like new condition.. and it (design, everything) seems it was really meant for geeky girls huh (this is not my idea, but i have to agree with it!)
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 11:07 PM
#
Meant for girls it may be, but I still like it. Just an aside, whoever redesigned the site and made the forums faster (new server mayhaps?) needs serious congrats.

Oh, on the topic of the hugenormous Mobilpros, I got a laptop yesterday for about $20 that's only 2 inches longer and two inches wider. Needless to say, it's battery life doesn't last nearly as long. Though with a battery rebuild I think I might be able to push it to ~6 hours. Take that you MP fenatics! Heh heh heh.

PS: the MPs are nice, I'll admit it. But I'd like to keep the facade of hating them
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 11:41 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Interesting feedback. I was considering upgrading from my 660LX but really, nowadays, I barely use it. I used it every day, constantly throughout the day, in my prior job of travel agent doing both contact info and later PCAnywhere to book flights (!). Yeah, it was fun to sit with a client and book a flight for a multi-thousand dollar package on a small palmtop - got the client's eyes looping, for sure.

I used it, instead of my laptop, when I was on the motorcycle. Didn't want to risk my laptop with the abuse. I have the 660LX inside a hard foam-lined pistol case and yes, it has protected the unit, even during 1 accident (!)

So, anyway, I wonder if for a very occasional user (again, I want it around only when I need a computer paired with my motorcycle) - is it worth the upgrade?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 16