x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 11:47 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

RandomInsano - 2006-01-22 12:08 AM

Well, I've taken a look at the Mobilpros. They're nice looking machines, but the size of them is what I think is boardering on laptopish size (in fact, there are librettos smaller).

Ooh, a Libretto. Too bad they, along with the micro Sonys, are even more expensive than a decent full size laptop!! o_O I see used Librettos (old series) are about the price of HPC's though. So which is better, Libretto 100/110 running Win98 or HPC?
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 5:09 PM
#
Libretto running Win98 by far if for the same price. You can run well over a decade's worth of applications, be it games from the era of Win95/98, applications you spent good money on, or discounted older software. I mean, to be fair the more popular operating system unfortunatly has the most applications. It's why many people don't switch to linux, or (to a lesser extent) mac OSX. And if the size is the same, hell, why not?

I personally like the small form factor of HPCs and the insane battery life. I don't get them so I can play videos, music, or surf the web. I get them for PIM and PIM alone, and that they do very very well.
 Top of the page
RandomInsano Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 5:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That's the SECOND time I've forgotten to log in. The past two guest are me if you couldn't tell by the poor grammer and oddly phrased sentences.

For anyone interested in the laptop I found, it's a Sharp Widenote 100T (PC-W100T) which is a Pentium 133, 32MB of RAM. I miss using the touch screen...

Edited by RandomInsano 2006-02-16 5:16 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:29 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

What I want to know is: Is a libretto better than a picturebook?
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Problem with the Libretto's is battery life, you just aren't going to get much better than an hour on one of them. I owned one, they're great machines...just so long as your near an electrical outlet.

Edited by Maul 2006-02-16 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

an old libretto? surely not. a new one? yes. but thats much more expensive
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 10:08 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

If I ever get it back from a friend I lent it to I have a (very old!) IBM Butterfly. I upgraded the memory to max (still very small) and put in a larger HDD. It runs Linux 5.2 great and Win95 OK.

I really wish IBM would reintroduce that design - it's really a joy to own. Small yet sweet with a great keyboard that unfolds, it's so nice to carry.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:16 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Windows 95? Sure, that machine sounds great, I would use it as my portable DOS / 3.11 machine. But I would prefer to do that on a machine that can actually do something...

I do not want something that would limit me much this time.

Bad battery life? I can always refurbish.

Anyways, enough of this thread hijack. Sorry.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 5:58 AM
#
I used to have a Sony Picturebook (C1XN), they're very nice. They're light, fairly powerful for the size, battery life is quite good for a laptop. Only problem is the price tag. They also look good.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Faster processor would be good, but hard drive size is not a problem. I can always replace those myself. (Same with cells, they are 18650's)
 Top of the page
RandomInsano Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 4:35 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Indeed. I've ruined my own thread here . So, instead of talking about laptops, why don't we try and list all the sleeper HPCs that some people might find interesting. HP seems to really lead the pack as far as common systems, what about ones that people may not know about. Link to an information page if you can find one.

I really like the PSION series 7 for the screen design. Could probably make decent use of InkWriter on it too.
http://www.geocities.com/epoc_32/general.html

Not saying I'd want one, but it's a nice unit.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Series 7: i had one here just recently (but had no money to buy it..). it is a unique machine with a unique OS. the OS never freezes, never locks up. a soft reset is not entirely unknown but it usually does have some reason for example when i was trying to hack wlan drivers onto the S7.. i got resets.. otherwise very stable .. and powerful multitasking, you can have a lot of apps running and no slowdown. (same for 5mx... i own two .. 5mx and a clone, ericsson mc218).
but the psion OS doesn't know as much as hpc2000 or cenet. its functionality is similar to hpc pro / ce 2.11 in my personal opinion... and of course the S7 does not have any wlan options. only the netbook has it.
but this is not a HPC, in case you weren't aware of that it's a psion.

ok, what other hpc should i talk about ?
 Top of the page
RandomInsano Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 1:38 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

What exactly qualifies an HPC? Is it WinCE?
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 2:41 AM
#
Maul - 2006-02-17 3:49 AM

Problem with the Libretto's is battery life, you just aren't going to get much better than an hour on one of them. I owned one, they're great machines...just so long as your near an electrical outlet.

Under DSL Linux Im getting over 4 hours with the extended battery (Libretto 100), much better than under Win98!
But nothing compares to my Netbook Pro: 6-7 hours with WLAN, over 10 without

Andreas
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 6:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

RandomInsano - 2006-02-18 7:38 AM

What exactly qualifies an HPC? Is it WinCE?

yes, CE and keyboard (ok there are the tablets with CE.. they're hybrids )
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 15