x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wet digitizer - PEBKAC error

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't believe the stupid things people do at times.

I had a call from my ex. She was a little frantic and with good reason. She foolishly sprayed Windex on the screen of her 565 and got some under the screen. The digitizer doesn't work now.

I told her to remove both batteries and place the 565 somewhere warm to dry it out.

Anyone here have experience with getting liquid in a digitizer? What was the outcome? Did it work after it was dried out? Or was it shorted out and killed?

Man, I can't believe it. The 565 was my first ppc and it appeared to be indestructible. It's been dropped, lost and found a few times, sat on, and pounded on by her kids who think they're driving nails when they use it. The original battery stills holds 100% and shows no signs of fading.

Good grief. It's a good thing she didn't decide to clean her 789. It would be fritzed instead.

She's my ex for a good reason
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh dear :-(

There is a strong chance that the problem wil be with what the evaporated fluid leaves behind. I couldn't get a chemical list off of a very quick google, suffice it to say from what little I know of British brand window cleaners is they are highly acidic, and probably wont get along too well with the soft membranes of a digitiser. Once that's gone you'll have all the formerly dissolved chemicals powdered over the inside of the device.

If you pull it apart, some 100% distilled water and a anti-static brush may be your best hope.

p.s. shouldn't it be a PEBKAX error
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

what is PEBKAC (or PEBKAX)?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 2:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-01-22 12:59 PM

what is PEBKAC (or PEBKAX)?
Problem Exists Betweek Keyboard And Chair or in this case Problem Exists Betweek Keyboard And eX
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, eX, I never thought of that....

Yea, I'm concerned the ammonia base will dissolve a variety of needed things. In hindsight I should have told her to remove the batteries and immerse the 565 in a pot of pre-boiled water until I got to it. Oh well, I'll head over there tomorrow and see what I can do.

I'd better bring a shovel and work on a eulogy to prepare for the worst.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11