x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ad Hoc Wifi Connection

alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 5:32 AM
#
The above title is a bit misleading, but I really don't know how to describe it better. I'm going away on holiday soon and the hotel I'm staying at provides free ethernet broadband connection to the net. They don't offer WIFI in the hotel rooms though which is a bummer because my J has only a Wifi card. I have been searching high and low for a compatible ethernet card locally, but they're just not available.

So heres the question, can this be solved by just having a wireless AP plugged into the ethernet cable. Are there any special settings that needs to be done considering that the WAP will probably be recieving a DHCP leased address.

If the abvoe is not possible, are there any gizmos out there that could help? Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just get a 16bit n2000 lan card... ok not all of them will work...
but let me say this: i had a pcmcia lan card sitting somewhere unused, i didnt even think of trying it in the j720, then someone talked me into trying it, and it worked after entering the driver name don't know how lucky i was (or not). really worth a try... C:Amie recommends only the 10 mbps cards though.

don't forget CF lan cards either!
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 9:16 AM
#
Whats an n2000 lan card? And the drivers are the ones on the add hardware tab in control panel yeah??

The trouble with Malaysia is we really have a hard time gettng old legacy type cards, and most of them are taiwanese brands which are not known outside asia... *sigh*
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Your plan of plugging in an AP should work. After all, I imagine that's what they do in the smaller conference rooms when holding business meetings. Just set your wap as though it's connected direct (no ppoe) .

Good tip for the future.

But then again our hotels offer open wifi so if I want a free ride I just sit across the street from one.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2006-01-23 3:16 PM

Whats an n2000 lan card? And the drivers are the ones on the add hardware tab in control panel yeah??

it is ne2000. many lan cards are compatible with this standard or whatever look up the specs of the card..
yes the driver is there in control panel, in the network applet
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The AP should work. NE2000 is the quick and cheap way to go but do have a search of the forum / hcl for recommendations as in my personal experience there seems to be a reasonably high failure rate in the ne2000 implementation under CE - I'm not alone in my asessment of this over the years either.
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 11:57 PM
#
Thanks guys for the reply.

I think for the moment a cheap portable WAP is the way to go. If worst comes to worst, I'll just spend my surfing time down in the hotel lounge where they do have WIFI! Thanks again!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 12