x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Charging multiple hpcs?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm sure some of you have the same dilema. Many hpcs, some used sporadically, some used daily. I'm tired of replacing backup cells because some main packs have drained, my bad.

Leaving them on full-time charge is not good from what I read. Letting the lions go flat is equally bad. Some packs last weeks without a charge, others a few days.

Here's my idea. Attach all the non-daily use machines to a large power strip connected to a 7 day timer. So when the timer goes on, all get a charge. When it's off, obviously nothing charges.

Now the tough question. What would a good charging cycle be?

1 hour a day? Some of my hpcs don't lose any charge in a day, so I don't want to heat the batteries for no good reason.

1 hour a week? Again, some of my hpcs won't top up with a hour charge after sitting for a week.

2 hours a week? I think that will top up even my worst packs without unduly cooking my good packs. Hmm, I'd have to alternate my spare packs so maybe the interval is too long. I know some of my packs go flat in about a week.

I'm also thinking ahead to when I have rebuilt all my packs and they have fresh cells. I'll want to baby them for maximum life.

What is your approach or advice to charging multiple hpcs? All suggestions are appreciated.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 8:41 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i dont have any means for taking care of the batteries other than my memory
as all of them need a unique kind of charge cycle i never thought of automating the process. though some database to keep track of them could make it easier for me

so, my routine is that i sometimes check some of the hpc's, those that i suddenly remember that they may need checking. then if the battery is still over 20% i leave them alone (but if close to 20%, i make a mental note to check it soon again), if not i charge them that's it. i've never really let the batteries fully drain yet.
(except the bsquare but that's a different animal i think needs a hard reset because it started to turn on by itself at night and doesn't turn off - battery will last 6-8 hours then at most. i shouldn't use the PIM??? )

i don't know if this helps

edit: new idea: maybe i just think of my hpc's often enough, and that quite helps in itself
also i have to take care of the grayscale hpc's too that doesn't make it easier (i always have to have at least two spare ni-mh's as i charge them in an external universal ni-mh AA charger)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-23 8:58 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 12:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, aren't we all the brilliant bunch. It just dawned on me to pick the most used hpc (in my case my W) and set up recurring tasks in PIM based on what I can remember about what battery needs charging and when.

That's just until I redo all my cells then I think my timer idea is as good as any. All new cells should posess the same basic discharge rate so should need charging about the same time.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 1:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hehe good idea about the PIM... however i'd like some different more specialized app for this.. still thinking.. until that this method is perfect for me..

i think even if you rebuild the batts with the same 2400 mAh cells the hpc's consumptions will not be the same but if you never turn them on, it should not be so much of a problem if all hpc's are 32 mb. except maybe the difference between a 7.2V and a 10.8V battery.. (first is two cells second is three, obviously the second battery will last longer)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hmm, I don't think the discharge rate would change if there were more or less cells. They're in series IIRC so they self balance each other to a degree, or so I remember.

I've set up a basic charging schedule in my W and I'll tweak it as need be. It would be nice having a dedicated program that lets you record runtimes, number of charges and so on but I'm not up to creating it. I guess one could use excel or access to do the same thing but I don't think they can be tied to reminders.

I wonder how enterprises manage their batteries? They should have a system you'd think.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-23 10:25 PM

Hmm, I don't think the discharge rate would change if there were more or less cells. They're in series IIRC so they self balance each other to a degree, or so I remember.

i simply meant that a 1800 mAh @ 10.8V battery holds more power than a 1800 mAh @ 7.2V so it should discharge slower when the device is in suspend of course many other factors can affect it... (ram of device, bugs etc...)
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 10:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just how many PDAs do you use? LOL

For now I only use the Smartbook and the Smartphone. The elderly Casio E-125 is backed up and all batteries removed. The battery when removed can hold a charge for a very long time.

BTW I only need the Casio as a "device backup"; so if for any reason I cannot take my Smartbook when I need to, the E-125 + fold-up keyboard + WiFi card can be ready to go within the day.

Now I could do the same with the 728, but like I said before I would feel guilty if that beautiful device is wasted as a backup unit. Stop hogging HPCs guys, sell them I am planning to sell mine, honest.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 10:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

wallythacker - 2006-01-23 4:34 AM

I'm sure some of you have the same dilema. Many hpcs, some used sporadically, some used daily. I'm tired of replacing backup cells because some main packs have drained, my bad.

Leaving them on full-time charge is not good from what I read. Letting the lions go flat is equally bad. Some packs last weeks without a charge, others a few days.

Here's my idea. Attach all the non-daily use machines to a large power strip connected to a 7 day timer. So when the timer goes on, all get a charge. When it's off, obviously nothing charges.

Now the tough question. What would a good charging cycle be?

1 hour a day? Some of my hpcs don't lose any charge in a day, so I don't want to heat the batteries for no good reason.

1 hour a week? Again, some of my hpcs won't top up with a hour charge after sitting for a week.

2 hours a week? I think that will top up even my worst packs without unduly cooking my good packs. Hmm, I'd have to alternate my spare packs so maybe the interval is too long. I know some of my packs go flat in about a week.

I'm also thinking ahead to when I have rebuilt all my packs and they have fresh cells. I'll want to baby them for maximum life.

What is your approach or advice to charging multiple hpcs? All suggestions are appreciated.

I do just that; 2hrs every week, and have had no issues.
I use it for all of my laptops also... I charge my regular laptop on a more regular schedule though.

Edited by Yoldering 2006-01-23 11:02 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 4:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-23 9:15 AM

Well, aren't we all the brilliant bunch. It just dawned on me to pick the most used hpc (in my case my W) and set up recurring tasks in PIM based on what I can remember about what battery needs charging and when.

All right, when was the Tungsten reclassified as an H/PC?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 9:26 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-01-24 4:52 AM

Just how many PDAs do you use? LOL

too many (...to count them!)

Now I could do the same with the 728, but like I said before I would feel guilty if that beautiful device is wasted as a backup unit. Stop hogging HPCs guys, sell them I am planning to sell mine, honest.

didnt you exchange it for that ppc? you could drop me a PM on how much $$ you have in your mind
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 12