x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 660LX want to setup WiFi

1 2
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 1:52 PM
#
Hi there everybody.. I just came across this most excellent forum full of information.. Its a bit hard to sort through the masses of people with driver issues and so forth, so I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right thread, or maybe provide me with a quick, straight answer..

first, here's a little story.. Back in 1997 I bought an HP 620LX for about $750.00.. Needless to say a couple years later the powerjack broke off the mother board, and I probably broke the damn thing trying to fix it.. But whatever, recently I purchased an HP 660LX on ebay for a whopping $12.16 !!! Yes I'm very stoked.. Unfortunately I don't have any of the original software that came along with the hpc.. so setting up the network might be a bit tricky..

All I want to know is, what is a good, fully functioning, Wifi card to get for this bad boy, and what process do I need to go through to get things set up correctly?? I checked the HLC list, but there are quite a few cards listed, and lots of people here had many problems with even the cards that are listed as WinCE 2.0 compatible.. So any straight answer for the best and easiest card to use for my HPC, along with set up information, would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for your time..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 2:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

12$??? oh lucky man (it is still worth a *little* more... or not? )

wlan card i tried and worked in a 620lx: senao SL-2511CF. i have a senao 2511-CD plus ext2 too, i think this works too but i can test... i forgot to test the lucent wavelan when it was here but that should work too because it works on another CE 2 machine. (the senao CD pcmcia card works too on that other CE2 hpc)
i guess also dlink dcf660w is compatible too, i'll have to test it but again, as it worked on the other CE2 hpc it should ...
 Top of the page
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 2:33 PM
#
thanks much for the message.. I might be placing a bid on the WaveLAN Silver card if it'll definitely work.. I've been looking everywhere for the senao SL-2511CF card, but I'm having absolutely no luck.. not even on ebay.. maybe I should take the chance with the WaveLAN?? once I get that, is there a general HOWTO on how to get WiFi working under Windows CE?? thanks again for your help
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cant test the wavelan but i know others got it to work... and me too on another CE2 stuff

senao: it is just a senao branded CF wlan card try searching this way

howto is in the support section (install SP1, NSP, then the wlan driver)
 Top of the page
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 7:59 PM
#
most excellent. everything sounds good so far.. i've never even setup a regular network card on a windows ce device before, so i went ahead and bought a wired nic as well..

i got the Linksys PCMCIA Network Card NP10T, and a Lucent Wavelan Orinoco WiFi 802.11 Turbo Silver.. its gonna be a week or so before these guys come in the mail, so i'm sure you'll be hearing back from me when the time comes.. i'll either post my success story, or my failure story hahaha..

i must say though, thank CHRIST for this website.. there is hardly any information out on the net regarding this obsolete machines.. but thanks to all this info, I can finally make use of a PDA that I once used for nothing but boring games of Solitaire..
 Top of the page
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 9:04 AM
#
I also wanted to add that the Support and Tutorials are freakin great.. right down to the point.. very self explainatory.. I didn't even know there was a service pack for windows ce 2.0 !!! or an NSP for that matter !!! so its a damn good thing there's a site out there that keeps up with everything.. and its a damn good thing that I don't need CE Services anymore )))

thanks again..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

glad to hear you found the site useful

looking forward to hearing about your success
 Top of the page
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 9:45 AM
#
man.. i've been loosing the auctions on every wifi card that's compatible!! i don't really want to spend more than $25 so that kind of lessens my chances even more..

but in other news, I did get my spare Kingston 10/100 wired ethernet card to work.. i was very excited that it works.. although, webpages still load pretty slow even on my 3mbit DSL network.. the SP1 and NSP installations were a piece of cake, and I really enjoy the newest version of ActiveSync..

my other problem is with DoomCE... it worked on my 620LX years ago, but it doesn't run at all on my 660LX.. just says doomce3.exe is not a valid windows application.. and it was the SH3 version.. strange shit.. had the wad file and all.. ahh well.. next step is still to find a good wifi card for cheap!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 12:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Did you know you can sync your 660LX with ActiveSync via ethernet? I heard it is much faster..
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-01-23 11:22 AM

i guess also dlink dcf660w is compatible too, i'll have to test it but again, as it worked on the other CE2 hpc it should ...

Am I hearing you right? You got the D-Link card to work in CE 2.0? I thought it only worked with H/PC Pro and up. I've been looking for that card, and now you've really got me interested. (But I thought the 660LX is H/PC Pro.)

The Agere ORiNOCO Classic should work fine with the Lucent WaveLAN driver. But I don't know if you'll find one for $25. I paid about $35 for mine, but it's been a godsend - best investment I ever made.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

danzigism - 2006-01-28 3:45 PM

but in other news, I did get my spare Kingston 10/100 wired ethernet card to work.. i was very excited that it works.. although, webpages still load pretty slow even on my 3mbit DSL network.. the SP1 and NSP installations were a piece of cake, and I really enjoy the newest version of ActiveSync..

great news! did you get it to work with the default NE2000 driver?

wlan: be patient, wlan cards can be as cheap as that, just watch out for them & wait

doomce: maybe you downloaded the ce 2.11 version? you need 2.0.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-01-28 8:19 PM

cmonex - 2006-01-23 11:22 AM

Am I hearing you right? You got the D-Link card to work in CE 2.0? I thought it only worked with H/PC Pro and up. I've been looking for that card, and now you've really got me interested. (But I thought the 660LX is H/PC Pro.)

The Agere ORiNOCO Classic should work fine with the Lucent WaveLAN driver. But I don't know if you'll find one for $25. I paid about $35 for mine, but it's been a godsend - best investment I ever made.

umm, yes with a ce2 prism driver. the dlink is prism. i tried it with MIPS hpc's should work on SH3 too but who knows i'll test.

lucent: maybe the older wavelan is cheaper? and its signal strength is nice, better than the senao ive been using but i chose the senao (and sold the lucent) because it's CF and i need wlan in CF format. the dlink again has very good sensitivity, probably i'll buy it. why not have two wlan cards.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 2:31 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Or more . . . .
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well. i have four here now (to stay on topic: three work on CE2: senao CF, senao PCMCIA and the D-link ... the senao pcmcia has to go though)
the fourth works only with hpc2000 but it is a nokia D211 so i will keep it it would be *perfect*, if it were CF and if it had cenet drivers.
 Top of the page
danzigism
danzigism Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 8:18 PM
#
wow which Dlink works for CE 2.0 again??? those seem to go for cheap prices.. i noticed a Belkin was compatible too.. however, only Ver1.0 which is basically impossible to find nowadays haha.. ahh well

strange about DoomCE.. i went to http://revolution.cx/DoomCE.htm and downloaded the SH3 version.. it didn't say wether it was the 2.11 version or not.. however, i think the executable is supposed to be universal among 1.x-2.x.. I have a sneaking suspicion that trying to execute this version of DoomCE using SP1 is causing some issues.. i don't know for sure though.. anyone have a doomce3.exe file that they know for sure works under ce 2.0?? maybe the site is out dated...

i've been trying to find some good games, but they too are hard to come by.. Invaders of course is fun, and so is a little Pocket Chess, but thats about the extent of freeware thats worth any while.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

by the way, yes the NE2000 driver worked for the Kingston KNE-PC2 EtheRx IC PCMCIA card.. it says in the HCL that its NOT compatible with CE 2.0, however, when you click on more info, it says to use the NE2000 driver.. it uses that driver automatically when I plug in the card.. don't have to do anything except plug in the cable!

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.214 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8