x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Patrick
Patrick Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 4:46 PM
#
Hello,

I have a hitachi eplate that I am trying to figure out. I have a microsoft wireless card and installed the compaq wl100 driver for it. I first did this about two weeks ago when I first got the machine. I was able to connect to my router and access the internet, but was not able to activesync with it (another topic for another day).

Last night I installed a program for controlling the the power up function of the computer. I relized I did not like it but I was unable to remove the program. Being a novice, I thought the best solution was to reset the unit to original state.

To make a long story short....I reloaded the wireless driver, inserted the card and the router and the card are communicating. The wl100 status indicator is green, link quality and signal strength are excellent. but nothing more. I cannot access the internet anymore. After a few minutes, a message appers that says

"DHCP was unable to obtain an IP address. You can reinsert your card later or statically assign an address."

Any thoughts?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 4:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you setup your SSID and WEP keys correctly. Or tried manual IP assignment?
 Top of the page
Patrick
Patrick Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 5:11 PM
#
I think the SSID and WEP are set up correct. I can set up the WEP key with a passphrase that I type into the router control and into the handheld unit and the keys come out identical, so the card and the router are communicating.

I am quite the novice at this, so I have not tried to set the IP adresses manually. If I were, is there somewhere that would explain how.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Patrick - 2004-12-20 3:11 PM

I think the SSID and WEP are set up correct. I can set up the WEP key with a passphrase that I type into the router control and into the handheld unit and the keys come out identical, so the card and the router are communicating.

I am quite the novice at this, so I have not tried to set the IP adresses manually. If I were, is there somewhere that would explain how.

Thanks.

One way to make definite that your unit is connecting with the router right is to check the router via web access through your pc and see if the handheld unit is listed as a wifi client.

If you still want to set your IP manually, refer to your router's manual, though most home wifi/LAN network uses the standard C 192.168.x.x or 192.168.0.x where x is 0 to 255. In most cases, 0 and 1 is reserved for router, and another address like 192.168.0.255 may be used for the DHCP server on the router. Try something like 192.168.0.5 or x in the range from 10 to 100.

Once you get that working ... refer to the tutorial in this site or http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=282&posts=3 for info on how to setup your MP790 for network activesync.
 Top of the page
Patrick
Patrick Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 7:58 PM
#
Bingo

My device was not listed within the attached devices list on my router.
I have a netgear router and it enables me to set up an access list and WEP. I disabled both and the handheld got linked up. Now I wil play around and figure out how to get those things in line with the handheld.

Thank you very much for the help.
 Top of the page
Patrick
Patrick Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 8:19 PM
#
reinstated the access and the WEP...works like a dream - go figure.

thanks for the link to set up activesync, its been a bit agrivating trying to get it to work.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 2.015 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 25