x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

opening documents and powerpoint

rod
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 12:44 PM
#
I'm having trouble opening word documents and powerpoint presentations on my mobilepro 790. When I create and save them on the MP790, they work fine. But when they sync over from my PC, they won't open. Is this a file conversion problem?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know about the PowerPoint files, though I suspect that the desktop hardware requires a somewhat different file structure from CE. Regarding the Pocket Word documents, check the file extensions of the documents. Pocket Word saves them as .pwi files, which desktop Word can't read. But you can save them as .doc files or .rtf files on the H/PC, which both Pocket Word and desktop Word can read. (And if you keep them on your H/PC with those extensions as well, remember to select "All Files (*.*)" when looking for them in the H/PC's My Documents folder so you can find them.)
 Top of the page
takwu@lunch
takwu@lunch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:42 PM
#
While I don't really have an answer, my guess is that the document you create on your PC might be too complicated for Pocket Word in HPC2000 to handle. It's a wild guess tho.

If you do a lot of word processing on your HPC, consider purchasing TextMaker. It has a lot more features than Pocket Word, and no file conversion is required.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/softmaker/textmaker-1-0/
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-01-24 9:06 PM

I don't know about the PowerPoint files, though I suspect that the desktop hardware requires a somewhat different file structure from CE. Regarding the Pocket Word documents, check the file extensions of the documents. Pocket Word saves them as .pwi files, which desktop Word can't read. But you can save them as .doc files or .rtf files on the H/PC, which both Pocket Word and desktop Word can read. (And if you keep them on your H/PC with those extensions as well, remember to select "All Files (*.*)" when looking for them in the H/PC's My Documents folder so you can find them.)

incorrect, pocketword on a hpc saves stuff in pwd (not pwi, thats ppc - and i think thats the inkwriter file type on hpc), and newer ms offices can open pwd (also pwi)
if the powerpoint editor uses a proprietary format thats no good (check the third party developer's site about conversion)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I knew it was .pw-something, but my H/PCs are sleeping right now and I didn't want to disturb them. Thanx for the correction.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey rod, please dont open two identical threads. i just discovered your older one

edit: OK i realized that was about attachments and this one about the files themselves but still..
 Top of the page
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks very much for the advice. Can't get my mobilepro to sync right now, so can't test these ideas, but will try tomorrow.

Regarding new threads: I was conflicted about making the attachments thing and the documents thing separate threads or combining them, but came down on the side of separating them because I was gently chastised by another moderator on HPC Factor for combining two related subjects. The rationale for separation was that the different threads would be allow readers to track them better.

Sorry for starting up a new thread on these topics.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rod - 2006-01-25 5:16 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. Can't get my mobilepro to sync right now, so can't test these ideas, but will try tomorrow.

Regarding new threads: I was conflicted about making the attachments thing and the documents thing separate threads or combining them, but came down on the side of separating them because I was gently chastised by another moderator on HPC Factor for combining two related subjects. The rationale for separation was that the different threads would be allow readers to track them better.

Sorry for starting up a new thread on these topics.

lol sorry this must be really confusing then i think if the subjects are not that much related a new thread is OK
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 5:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rod,

Well, I encouraged you to post elsewhere as you replied with a question about MobilePro 790 file transfer issues in a thread on Jornada 720 PIM sync issues with Outlook 2003.
Not quite as black and white as you suggest.

On your PC do you have Microsoft Office 97/2000/2002/2003 or are you authoring word / powerpoint files in a different suite e.g. Open Office.
Could be a filter presence problem. Please check the conversion filter settings in the last tab in ActiveSync options.
 Top of the page
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK, thanks for the clarification regarding threads.

Saving files made with pocket word as .rtf seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9