x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What is good mapping program for handhelds?

1 2
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 12:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Didn't work.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 1:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

For anyone who cares, I just saw Pocket Streets 2005 for a buck (starting bid) on eBay.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Has anyone ever posted a screenshot of Pocket Streets 2005 running on there H/PC?

If not, can someone do that....I'm curious to see what the interface looks like?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Here's a shot of a map I exported from ST 2005. What I personally like about ST 2005 is the ability to choose the export area (within reason) so you can have 1 huge map of a large area or several smaller maps of the same area. Large maps = slower, small maps = more total space but faster

Best of all, as mentioned, all the features like lookup and contact linking work.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-26 2:48 PM

(Screen001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screen001.jpg (83KB - 11 downloads)
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Wally, that is a nice looking map.

Which PDA were you using with that map?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 12:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks, that was captured from my 6651. To me, PS & my 6651 are the ideal navigation tool. The TFT screen is OK in daylight and big enough for me to see at a distance without my glasses. However, PS2005 looks fine on MPs as well, just not as large.

Have you decided on the version of PS you will get?
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 12:30 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Wally,

I've got a bid at Ebay on MS Streets 2005 that comes with Pocket Streets 2005. But I may not get it as it ends tomorrow while I'm working. So it may take a while, if I have to bid on another one. Right now, I installed 2001 ... but what good will it do, if I don't have the right maps.

What about OziExplorer? I have that installed and the desktop version comes with a converter to convert any map into Ozi format.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ozi is a great program but IMO it's best suited to off-road use. I use it for flying with a friend in the summer and it is fabulous for that job.

Yes, you can convert maps to Ozi format but I don't think it creates a database of streets that you can look up or links to contacts.

For the few dollars ST2k5 (and I guess ST2k6 would work) costs they save a lot of time and the headaches of conversion.

Good luck on ebay, I hope you get a copy for a good price
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 2:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

stftclmshell - 2006-01-26 12:30 AM

Didn't work.

What part didn't work? Exporting from an older version of Streets?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 9:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

wallythacker

Nice map of Hamiltion, Ont....I worked at McMaster U for a couple of years, so I'm fimiliar with the area.

Anyway - I have one more dumb question! I followed the links from the old forum posts to Monica website to get the necessary dll files, but (since it's not in english) how do I know what to download?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2006-01-27 3:07 PM

Anyway - I have one more dumb question! I followed the links from the old forum posts to Monica website to get the necessary dll files, but (since it's not in english) how do I know what to download?

sorry but the hpc part of my site is all english. what links did you follow?

it's http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2006-01-27 11:23 AM

Hurricane John - 2006-01-27 3:07 PM

sorry but the hpc part of my site is all english. what links did you follow?

it's http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php

Thank you for your help - the link you just posted worked great!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 11:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

glad to hear that.

btw my site was down yesterday (server maintenance), and i wasnt even noticed of it in time. i almost thought they deleted my site
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 2:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

quiche - 2006-01-26 10:30 PM

Wally,

I've got a bid at Ebay on MS Streets 2005 that comes with Pocket Streets 2005. But I may not get it as it ends tomorrow while I'm working. So it may take a while, if I have to bid on another one. Right now, I installed 2001 ... but what good will it do, if I don't have the right maps.

What about OziExplorer? I have that installed and the desktop version comes with a converter to convert any map into Ozi format.

I'm SOOO befuddled

I'd like to wait to hear from Wally how his purchase works, but I see several similar offerings on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MICROSOFT-STREETS-TRIPS-2005-WITH-POCKET-STREETS_W0QQitemZ7206730180QQcategoryZ51342QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ), available buy-it-now.

What I'd really like to know is, will this work with my MP780 upgraded to MP790?

I don't understand all the .dll talk, nor how to get maps for Pocket Streets.

If someone could point me to a good, clear discussion of the subject, I'd really appreciate it. This looks like a pretty good deal, if it will work with WinCE 2000 on a MIPS processor in the hpc platform.

Thanks, Kirk Messinger
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Small world eh? My first post secondary teaching job was in Hamilton.

wooden, the short answer is yes. For details please follow the link referencing (1st page of this thread IIRC) my original thread of getting Ps2005 to work on hpc2k. That thread pretty well answers all the questions for each platform.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-27 4:39 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11