x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 3:19 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I made some inquiries and an associate of a friend of a friend has agreed to use some SMT (surface mount technology) equipment to remove my second 720 ram chips and replace them with higher capacity chips. It's up to me to source and order pin compatible higher capacity chips.

So, here's hoping. 1. I can figure out the correct chips to order. 2. I can get them for a reasonable price. 3. The chain of people doesn't break down. 4. The SMT work all goes well.

I'm aiming to get at least 128mb of ram. I think I can manage that. I'll need quad density chips from what is in there now. I'd like to get 256mb but I don't think I'll find 8x the density chips that are compatible. You never know, maybe. Power consumption is also a factor. If there are 256mb chips but power hungry I'll stay with 128mb.

If this works out I'll attempt the same for my first 720 and my 6651s. (IIRC their ram is on a small board as well). I don't know if I'll bother with the 890 although with a separate ram board it might be easy enough to do.

I don't think the SL4 is a candidate. Something tells me the ram is surface mounted on the mainboard. I'll risk the ramboards from the mentioned machines but I'm reluctant to mangle the SL4.

Same with my W. More memory would be nice but I got it cheap and depend on it a lot so mangling it is not an option.

When I have more information I'll post it up.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 9:09 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow... definitely let us know asap if theres any small progress!

btw i think 128 will be enough
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9