x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 12:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi there,
I'm pretty sure that I read a topic here, concerning the advantages of MP 790 versus MP 780, but I can't find it at the moment.

The point is:
nearly a year ago I've bought a MP780 on polish auction service, allegro.pl (feel free to use even if you're outside Poland, btw ). It costed me about 100 Euro. I use it occasionaly, mainly for text writing and playing some games.

Recently I've noticed that MP790 showed up - for as low as 150 Euro (not to much, considering that allegro.pl is the only source for such hardware in PL).

Now: I know that HPC2000 is better system than HPC Pro, but what exactly can I gain by using it? It supports GAPI; maybe I can use sam automap software with it? Or same games? Could you give me an advice?

And yes, I'm geek and I'm willing to spend some cash just to get a newer gadget :-)
 Top of the page
patrick80639 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 1:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm afraid that GAPI won't work on the MP790. It doesn't run on the MIPS processor. But I've heard the version of internet explorer that's native to the 790 is way better than the 780's.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 1:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm well even the 780 can have a gx.dll (i realized it yesterday)
i dont know how good it is, but it works with a few programs

i'll try a 790 rom in my 780 and let you know if its faster or anything after that.

hpc2000 is much better than hpc pro thats for sure! (i know both OS'es)

edit: i checked out allegro.pl hoping to find cheap hpc's but the prices are higher for the 780 than on ebay
but i'll keep looking.. who knows.. or do the people there know the real value of a hpc? in hungary (where i live) they don't and i can often find things cheap
btw how did you mean ppl outside poland can bid too? do polish people have no objections to shipping outside of the country? (btw hungary isnt too far! thats why i like that site even though i dont know a single word of polish)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-25 2:08 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I can confirm the 790 is faster in everyday use, but not everyone will need the extra speed. The newer PIE allows more site access.

Many ppc apps will run, so there's far more software to choose from. The 14mb file store is nice to have. If you need these extra features the 790 is worth getting. If you don't the 780 will probably do you a long time.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 5:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stasheck - 2006-01-25 10:47 AM

maybe I can use sam automap software with it? Or same games? Could you give me an advice?

Which mapping software? I believe Pocket Streets 2005 can be hacked onto the 790.. The programs should work the same on the 790...
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 6:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex: http://www.allegro.pl/new_user.php?mm=1 here you should just select "Kraj = Hungary" and off you go :-) for translation of the rest of the words, I recommend http://e-dict.pl/plen - polish-english dictionary, just copy&paste and you should find everything. As for shipping outside Poland - I guess you just need to find a Seller who will allow you to do so :-) But I guess he'll want you to pay in advance.

OK, folks, so:
- GAPI doesn't work ( ;( )
- noone told anything about any interesting software that works on the HPC2000 and not on HPC Pro :/ (you sure about Pocket Streets?)
- but HPC2000 is way better in multitasking, I guess

Any more comments?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

software that work on hpc2000 and not on hpc pro... depends on your needs i do use some that won't run on a hpc pro machine...

hpc2000 is better in multitasking and cenet is even better and so on..

hm, how would i pay to a polish seller? is there unlimited paypal available? ours is send only..
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 8:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stasheck - 2006-01-25 4:22 PM

you sure about Pocket Streets?

Pocket Streets 2002 is the last to support HPC Pro and the HPC in general... Pocket Streets 2003 and higher are for the PPC, but can be hacked onto HPC2000..
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 9:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You know, maybe I have some needs I don't know just yet :-)

I'd like to have some decent games (but GAPI ), some navigation software (autoroute, not just cities)... Maybe some other things ;-) Could you give me any examples? I thought about Siberian Strike - it has some decent gfx, but GAPI .

Polish PayPal is send only, too :/ I guess the only way is bank money transfer; you only have to check which hungarian banks allow to do so without extra charge (I've had once transferred money from France to my polish bank - first I've asked in my bank, which french bank I have to use to avoid costs and they've told me).

Or maybe... A Netfront?

Edited by stasheck 2006-01-26 9:07 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

stasheck - 2006-01-26 3:01 PM

You know, maybe I have some needs I don't know just yet :-)

I'd like to have some decent games (but GAPI ), some navigation software (autoroute, not just cities)... Maybe some other things ;-) Could you give me any examples? I thought about Siberian Strike - it has some decent gfx, but GAPI .

Polish PayPal is send only, too :/ I guess the only way is bank money transfer; you only have to check which hungarian banks allow to do so without extra charge (I've had once transferred money from France to my polish bank - first I've asked in my bank, which french bank I have to use to avoid costs and they've told me).

Or maybe... A Netfront?

as i said there are MIPS gx.dlls *available*. probably they're not perfectly optimized and will not be compatible with everything (guessing here), but still, they enable some kind of gapi

netfront: yeah you can run even the latest version of netfront under hpc2000..

thanks for the information on the possible money transfer methods.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10