x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do you carry your handheld?

1 2
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What is your preferred way of taking your handheld along with you during the day?

Do you put it in your briefcase?

Or does it have it's own special case?

Which is better?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think there was already such a thread but no problem!

i carry them in my handbag.. thats it.. i do pay attention about placing them in there carefully. so they dont get scratched or damaged.

imo, a separate case would take too much space.. portability is important for me, the handbag is small etc...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 1:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have a padded notebook computer case that I've never used to carry my notebook computer in, and I found that I can fit my Jornada, Clio, and MPs 790 and 800 perfectly inside. My network cards and adapters go in inside pockets, while my two Cassiopeia Palm-size PCs go in an outside pocket. The Phenom fits nicely by itself in a calculator case that cost me $7 at Staples.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 5:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah there used to be a thread for this. At that time I was carrying the j728 in my EagleCreek guide bag.

Now that I carry the SmartBook, I need a slightly bigger one:
http://www.watchroots.com/travel_accessories/july2004-2005_html/rte035.html
But with more room I stuff more things in it In addition to the usual trio (HPC, wallet, and phone), I now also bring a GameBoy Micro, and sometimes a paperback too.

This bag is lightly padded, good enough to "land" the bag without too much cautions; the only thing between my HPC and the floor is that little padding at the bottom of the bag. Also the bag is big enough for my Sony Picturebook, for those rare times when a HPC just won't cut it...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I carry mine by the built in handel
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 1:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My Aero goes everywhere with me in my backpack, so I needed something to give it a little more cushion. I remembered that in a university bookstore I had seen a Tucano "Second Skin Folder" that is actually designed for a 12" i-Book, but looked to be about the right size for the Aero (the Aero's about 8" x 11". I tried it and it's a great fit, and was only about $15.00 U.S.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 4:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Samsonite portable DVD player bag for the larger units (holds 2 with goodies) , $10 @the source.
Targus camera bag for the 720 (holds two with goodies), $10 @walmart
Targus wallet for the W, it came with my E200. No protection, so I'm looking for something better, a custom fit aluminum case maybe.

I don't carry books or anything else so I prefer to keep my carry cases as small as possible while providing protection. I haven't found the perfect case yet, but the Samsonites are darn close.

That reminds me, I need to put ID tags on all my cases. Yea, I know, but there are some honest people who'd return the unit if they found it.

Hey guys, did you ever imagine one day you'd be lugging around a "purse" for all itents and purposes? I never did, but now I don't know how I did without one. My glasses and the other junk that cluttered my pockets now goes in with the hpcs.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-01-26 4:50 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I carry mine in my side pockets. ... ok, my outer "coat"/jacket has medium/large pockets!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-26 10:42 PM

Hey guys, did you ever imagine one day you'd be lugging around a "purse" for all itents and purposes? I never did, but now I don't know how I did without one. My glasses and the other junk that cluttered my pockets now goes in with the hpcs.

exactly!!! i couldnt live without a pruse / bag / whatever it was so even before the hpc's so i didnt need to adapt to anything new at all
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 6:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

As my Mp780 is quite scrated already, i just tote it in-hand.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-26 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2006-01-26 1:42 PM

I know cmonex already did that exact quote, but it's such a good question I just have to quote it again

I actually always wondered about it for as long as I could remember. When I was a kid, I was simply curious what the ladies (grown ups) carry in their handbags. My mom let me go thru it all; some things I would never have use for, like a lipstick ; but some made as much sense for women as for men, like a pack of tissue (Kleenex for Americans ). So I did wonder why men never carried a handbag at the time.

When I first got my own wallet, I found it irritating to always pocket it in my pants. But then you know, "Don't be a sissy, just do as all men do." So I got used to it. But there's only so much space in your pants pockets. What do you do with all the extra stuff you need to carry sometimes? You ask mom (when you're a kid), or whoever lucky lady is with you at the moment. I always found that opposite to the traditional (altho a bit sexist) values; where the men should "carry the load" for the women. It made more sense because on average men are physically stronger.

As I grew even older, I had more and more things I wanted to carry with me. The waist pouch was silly; the backpack was overkill. I really started to become envy of women who carry a handbag with them. It can be so versatile, and such a logical solution to an everyday problem. But like before, I simply lived with it. Do you have a pen? Nope.

And then the cellphone was invented. Eventually, everyone started to carry a cellphone. When I got mine, I had no idea where to put it. Left pocket keys, right pocket wallet, no pocket phone. Ok some guys have wallet in the behind, but that's insecure and looks silly as you look like scratching your butt every time you need money...

Anyway, almost right after the cellphone, came the PDA. My Cassiopeia simply stayed home. Yeah, the Pocket PC can fit in my pocket alright, leaving the pocket no room for an extra penny, while looking like I just shoplifted a box of cookies. I quickly switched to the Toshiba e310, and then the Viewsonic V37 - two of the smallest PDAs for a long time. But still it was not comfortable, so I never carried them in my pocket regularly either.

But still I was very interested in PDAs and what they can potentially do, if I managed to bring them with me that is. When I saw the Jornada 728, I just couldn't resist it. It could do so much more than the PPC, and it did. I started seriously looking for a carrying case for it. I just stumbled upon that Eagle Creek bag and always carried a bag with me ever since.
 Top of the page
haho Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I carry my j720 in an Otterbox 3000 in my coat pocket or in my briefcase.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 1:58 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Usually I carry a PPC(Dell Axim 30) and either my 790, 720 or 820 in one of thse cheap car DVD player bags. I can use the built-in straps to hang it from the steering wheel to access the keyboard. I have not carried a laptop in months.

I carry the 720 or the PPc in my back pocket, almost all the time.

For the 720 check out the sporting goods stores for a handgun sock, they are a very thick knit with a drawstring opening. About 6 bucks.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 6:23 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

takwu - 2006-01-27 4:34 AM

wallythacker - 2006-01-26 1:42 PM

I know cmonex already did that exact quote, but it's such a good question I just have to quote it again

It is mens tendancy to overlook the most simpliest answers to everyday life and are often found by more superior women.

(That quote is AFAIKO is mine, unless someone has seen simliar). I have an interesting problem that comes with me daily. I have 10+ bags, side bags, backpacks, sleves, etc, bust ripped, perfect condition, but the problem is that NONE of them suit my needs. I must be a woman at heart then!

Anyway, my daily problem is usually my laptop, sketchbook and 2(!) PDAs.
To go with the laptop comes my bunch of keys(!), several PC cards, Card reader, extension cable, crap and decent headphones (well, one folding pair and 4 headphones.), headphones for my mobile pro, pencil case, power supply, power cord, Jabra headset, mobilephone and plenty of paper!
I'd love to streamline all of it, but I might need ALL my paper, which is quite difficault for a college student.

When I need little to carry with me, usually, my Jornada goes in my pocket, much smaller than my MP (as those who have seen my pic in another thread). BUT, it also goes in my backpack, when I go to a shop to work, as well as a coffee jar full of coffee!!!!
The next challege is finding a case for all my HPC, including the 880 if I ever get one, that one will be a fun one to find!

Talking of CD cases, I have one somewhere, used to be VERY useful for carrying my old PDA with me, which included an RJ-45 cable, Psion gold card, modem(!), several flashcards and spare stylus. I haven' tried it with my Jornada, but the Mobilepro didn't fit!
Interestingly enough, heres where my flashcards go:
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 7:43 AM
#
My J728 normally stays in my backpocket most of the time. I do carry my laptop bag with me pretty much all the time though theres no more laptop to go in. I find it useful to keep all the cards that supports the J, as well as Airport Express AP that I use for ad hoc ethernet connection, cables,l digital camera and whatever documents I need to carry.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 16