x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

(wtb) Sigmarion 3 extended / normal batt

browsin_ard
browsin_ard Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 10:25 AM
#
I am looking for a sigmarion 3 extended battery or normal slim battery. I have check conics and they are way way overpriced. Anyone has a spare or know a cheaper way to obtain one? Thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 11:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

me too! but only looking for an extended one

ive tried japan, but i couldn't find it cheaper than 21,000 yen. only a used one will be significantly cheaper but no luck yet with that as i dont live there.

my second normal battery is from japan too, 40$ + shipping. but you need some friend located in / visiting japan. otherwise conics around 70$ + shipping (the non original one, thats what i got too)

(btw intermec is nice that i got from you..)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-27 11:24 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't have a Sig3, but I am just curious:
How is the battery life for the Sig3, for either battery? Plus WiFi card? What does the Sig3 look like with the extended battery?

P.S. I can't find a Sig3 forsale (other than that online store) but hey you never know when a sale will pop up
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 4:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i dont have experience with the extended batt but who sold me his sig3 had one (but someone else was quicker and got the batt before me ), and said it was 8 hours or so, with wifi (i assume not with *continuous* wifi).

both of my standard batteries last 5 hours at most, without any connectivity, with screen brightness at 30% (which is usually enough).

with bluetooth & gprs it is 3-4 hours. with continuous wlan: 2-3 hrs (3 hrs if brightness at 20% and if i use power saving mode for the wlan card).

official specs say 8 hours (without internet) but i cannot imagine that for the std batt.

i think it cant look too bad with the extended battery, it is not like the jornada extended batt (lol i ordered one now, i mean jornada ext batt, just to see what it is like!), only twice of the original, and the placement of the extra size is solved in an ingenious way (IMO). i saw only pics of course..

soo all in all i need an extended batt i'll pay a very nice price for a used one! (no, don't expect 200$ from me for a new one!)

hmm and just to compare with intermec (since this hpc has a TFT too), the difference in voltage clearly shows an advantage for the intermec. intermec has a 10.8V battery, capacity in mAh is not much more than the sig3 std battery (1800 vs 1500). also one of my sig3 batteries is brand new, and my intermec battery isn't new at all (clearly not, as it drops from 25% to 7% suddenly!), and it still lasts 3.5 hours with continuous wlan (screen brightness at 40%, and the screen is very bright even then!). amazing compared to sig3, considering that they both have a TFT screen which eats alot of juice.. voltage does matter here!

anyway you can always order a sig3 from conics at a decent price.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 4:23 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I just went and checked... $450 USD is quite a lot! But I guess it's still "decent".

BTW the Intermec's better battery life may have to do with CPU and RAM too?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

450 with a 30 day warranty. you can get a sig3 on ebay hpcbay etc without warranty for 400$. (if you're VERY lucky, then less.) so i'm convinced thats a decent price at conics.

i don't think the ram matters so much, battery life with the j720 and the j728 is absolutely the same. i once read 128 mb needs 7 mA. so whats the difference between 2 (32 mb) and 3.5 mA (64 mb)? not much.. cpu? xscale is supposed to be frugal on battery power.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 5:45 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Monica, have you tried to underclock the Sig to stretch out the battery life? I've seen some programs to adjust the xscale speed out there. I have a feeling they might help.

I have the extended 720 battery and I don't like it at all. It's wayyyy to big and destroys the form factor of the 720. Having said that, I'm probably going to offer it up here for trade once I figure out the runtime it has. The vendor told me it has new cells and it seems to run forever with wifi.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i tried neither overclock nor underclock but it isn't a bad idea i'll try it soon

extended batt: well if i don't like it i'll sell it too but i want to see it for myself at least once..

new cells? maybe better ones than 1500's?! (any idea?) wow... ah i should've waited for your offer

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 9:04 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2006-01-28 2:41 PM

450 with a 30 day warranty. you can get a sig3 on ebay hpcbay etc without warranty for 400$. (if you're VERY lucky, then less.) so i'm convinced thats a decent price at conics.

i don't think the ram matters so much, battery life with the j720 and the j728 is absolutely the same. i once read 128 mb needs 7 mA. so whats the difference between 2 (32 mb) and 3.5 mA (64 mb)? not much.. cpu? xscale is supposed to be frugal on battery power.

Yeah I can't find Sig3 on eBay at all. But there are tons on Yahoo JP auctions, which are more in the $300 range. They don't ship out of Japan, but if they did, even with the costlier shipping, it would be much cheaper. If only I had a Japanese friend

The j728 has a higher capacity battery, so it might have to do with the similar battery life to the j720. XScale doesn't really zip power. Sure it's an improvement over a similar clock speed ARM - my phone has a 200Mhz XScale, and I think it would not last as long if it had a StrongARM at the same speed. But I would say the Intermec's MIPS processor should use much less power than the 400Mhz XScale in the Sig III.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i wasnt talking about the japanese auctions outside japan they are 400$.

hmm, anyway once i should get a spare sig3 from japan but i'm more interested in an extended battery currently

j728: 2000 mAh, sure, but i did have 1500 mAh's (std j720 batt - i had them rebuilt) so i know what the 1500 mAh in a j720 is like. sig3 is also 1500 mAh. same voltage. and nowhere near j720... i think the TFT is the biggest difference.

edit: erm i see now why you mentioned the higher capacity batt for j728. ok, but my j720 came with a j728 battery originally... so no.

even if i don't use the cpu, intermec still lasts longer with wlan than sig3 and i think it's because it has a better battery (higher voltage should handle the high power requirements more easily - also it means more cells actually.)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-29 8:09 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-16 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

still want a sig3 extended battery!!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9