x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Another interesting MIPS CPU WinCE.net 4.2-based 20G PMP hits the market

iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 1:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nowdays, more and more brands are launching wince.net-based PMPs. Most are from Chinese makers.

I come across an interesting PMP recently: Degen dE-877. Too new to be included in its official website. But seemingly this is an OEM device and u could find some specs. of a simliar product in this page. (in Chinese, but the English terms help you get the main specs.)

http://www.cooview.com/cp1.asp

Interesting facts:

1. AMD Alchemy AU1100 CPU, 400MHz. some might not be familar with this CPU. but for anyone familar with the German maker Demolux, this cpu is not unknown.

In demolux's apparently high-end mobile device dpad2 (industrial or just a concept product??), there is also an au1100 at 500mhz with a highest BMQ score on HPCs. check out here. http://www.rothberger.net/pages/hardware/hardware_benchmark.shtml

So high performance is also expected from a 400mhz au1100. Again, BMQ score is not everything, but it does matter.

No doubt, MIPS CPU means Zero fun of hacking PPC2003 appz to work on ce.net 4.2 coz not a single PPC2003 software supports MIPS CPU. Better stick with ur classic MIPS HPC Pro softwares.

2. Expandable. with Cf1 and sd slots, could act as a digital tank. Optional GPS add-on. 1.8-inch 20G hdd.

Price? intro. price @ US$360. of coz, deemed pricey for intl. market. unfortunately, the prices of PMPs in China are way higher than the international level. So i could not give u a more competitive price

More Pics, http://www.imp3.net/article/article.php?articleid=7608

(mips pmp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mips pmp.jpg (22KB - 4 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 1:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

iamjoe - 2006-01-27 10:09 AM

1. AMD Alchemy AU1100 CPU, 400MHz. some might not be familar with this CPU. but for anyone familar with the German maker Demolux, this cpu is not unknown.

I've been wondering when AMD was going to enter the PDA processor market, since they're gaining on Intel in the PC processor market. This looks like a good sign that a revival of the H/PC may be just around the corner. With any luck, maybe MIPS versions of software will even start coming out for CE 4 .net and CE 5. (It doesn't hurt to dream, as long as one doesn't drool on the pillow.)
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 1:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2006-01-28 1:29 AM

I've been wondering when AMD was going to enter the PDA processor market, since they're gaining on Intel in the PC processor market. This looks like a good sign that a revival of the H/PC may be just around the corner. With any luck, maybe MIPS versions of software will even start coming out for CE 4 .net and CE 5. (It doesn't hurt to dream, as long as one doesn't drool on the pillow.)

Unfortunately, the mobile CPU AMD currently boasts is all MIPS-core, meaning no room for it in mainstream pda market, coz PPC 2003 and wm5.0 no longer support MIPS CPU. (not very sure. at least, there is defintely zero mips ppc 2003 software)

Only wince.net 4.x (how about ce 5.0?) still supports MIPS coz .net os is meant for broader range of devices including embedded ones and industrial devices.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 5:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I want the PMP
 Top of the page
takwu@out
takwu@out Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 5:24 PM
#
Very interesting. I don't have a Chinese decoder installed on my g138 at the moment, so I'll take a look at the websites when I get home.

Are you sure it's MIPS? That would seem a bit strange. Anyway, even if it's MIPS it'd still be as compatible as an MP790 or i6651. And if it has GAPI, I'm sure MAME would fly with that kinda processor speeds. Plus, CE.net means there's IE6. Altho I doubt this PMP will have WiFi inside; thank goodness for a good old CF slot.

Finally, it seems it has a QVGA screen - big disappointment. I thought most PMP would have at least VGA resolution.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 5:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

The PMP does look cool, although I will check if it has a MIPS processor...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-01-27 5:54 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Interesting ... that AMD did not come up with a ARMs based cpu, but a MIPS ... hmmm
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 8:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe it wants to compete with intel
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 1:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-28 5:52 AM

The PMP does look cool, although I will check if it has a MIPS processor...

No doubt, mips based. just check out rothberger's web page or google au1100 on the net.

Before being bought out by AMD, ALchemy solely developed MIPS CPU.

Long before that, AMD did have its own arm cpu, which was unsuccessful on the market and seemed to have disspeared from the mainstream market long ago.

My previous statement was not precise. AMD might still have ARM based CPU, but just in embedded or industrial products, rarely seen in mainstream mobile products.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 8:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

This pmp is something I'd really like to play about with. Part of the interface looks English. And I see a mouse pointer but how to move it? dpad? Is it qvga or better?

I can't access the links properly as my desktop is sick now
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 9:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It doesn't float my boat I'm afraid
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-01-29 9:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-01-29 8:15 AM

This pmp is something I'd really like to play about with. Part of the interface looks English. And I see a mouse pointer but how to move it? dpad? Is it qvga or better?

I can't access the links properly as my desktop is sick now

for sure, its qvga. 3.5-inch display with 262k colors. From the pic, it does have a Dpad coz the manufacturer stresses this pMP can also play emulator games under wince.net, like NES files.

but this is a new product and the web page for a PMP could not be very detailed for PDA uses. at the moment, no much detailed PDA information for these devices.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11