x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can't soft reset

woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 2:23 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ever since I upgraded my MP780 to a 790, I have been unable to do a soft reset.

When I press the reset button, the initial NEC logo screen comes up, but nothing else happens, even after twelve hours!

The only way out is a hard reset, which of course necessitates restoring a backup.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem, or have any ideas of a cure?

Thanks for any help,

Kirk Messinger
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 2:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

reseat the rom chip?

once when we (friends + me) experimented with jornada 720 disassembling (fun to watch it ), and we tried a rom in a non working jornada, then it still didnt work, then we put the rom back to the working one, and it would not boot any further than that initial screen. the cause of problem / solution: we did not remove the backup battery when exchanging rom chips, so a rom reseat alogn with a hard reset helped.
of course this is not the same story, but..
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's what I was thinking. Reseat.
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 6:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well, you've given me something to think about. It happened the first time I tried a soft reset after installing the ROM. I only reset because I had followed the seller's instructions and backed-up before swapping ROM's, then restored from the back-up.

Well, of course that didn't work, since the back-up registry didn't match the new ROM. I just went ahead with a hard reset and accepted the necessity of reinstalling everything one piece at a time to get back to my original configuration.

I never thought of the possibility of a mechanical problem with the ROM install.

Since I have just had to do a hard reset, I might as well give reseating the ROM a try.

As far as the back-up battery goes, that's a disassemble job on the MP, I think. Do you really think that is necessary?

Thanks for the help.

K
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 6:39 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That seems to have done the trick!

Now to try messing w/ Pocket Streets.

Thanks again,

K
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

woodnboats - 2006-01-28 12:14 AM

As far as the back-up battery goes, that's a disassemble job on the MP, I think. Do you really think that is necessary?

oops, i forgot about this fact. the jornadas have user accessible backup batteries

looks like it's not necessary then glad that you've been able to sort out the problem!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9