x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I started bidding!

1 2
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 4:38 PM
#
Well, I was reluctant to get myself started on the HPC bandwagon again, but today on eBay I started bidding on things for the first time since I opened my account. Already lost on a MP880, and am currently winning on a Vadem Clio. Sheesh, its really bugging me that there's 2 Intermec 6651s on eBay, and I can't afford to bid on either one! Anyways, just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm trying to take it slow and gentle on eBay so I don't go crazy and buy everything... Even if I want to.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 4:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why are you reluctant? you can tell us the problem, we may be able to help!

anyway, certainly try to be careful with ebay, i always have to remind myself i don't have enough funds to buy every hpc there

about the intermecs, the bids are quite low currently, i think you should try. what is your max bid for any hpc? if the intermec prices dont go too high, try to bid in the last 10 secs, with your max bid. thats how i helped two friends get intermec's at low prices: around 150-250$ (depending on accessories and condition - the 150$ one has a dead camera and no ac adapter or sync cable). well well they didnt arrive yet, i'm soo impatient but hope everything will be ok. oh, also mine was 250$ with everything.
sorry if 200-250$ is already too high

i think the clio shouldnt get too pricey, hope you're aiming for the 1050, not the older clio. but its still ce 2.11, not the best idea. apart from that the clio is a great machine though too big for me
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 5:26 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Even though you remind yourself, it doesn't seem to slow you down any!

I remember when you started out with more psions than H/PC's....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

uh, well, well, you're right, and i remember it too pic from the past: http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc004.jpg
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 6:09 PM
#
I bid a max of $60 on a Clio 1050. It's check or money order only, which bothers me, but its a sweet deal if I get it. It is HPC Pro, but I was planning on putting BSD on it or just using it as a tablet.

I'm looking at $100 as a max for any machine for right now, might go higher for an Intermec though. A lot of the listings are 'as-is', so I am trying to avoid them if I can.

Any tips for eBay? Oh, and if anyone just has any of these lying around, PM me or post it on HPCbay!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

60$ won't be enough probably also bid only in the last secs.

100$? whew... intermec: hmmm below 200$ not much chance.

ebay tips: as i said don't bid too early, also avoid scams. can't recall anything else now.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 7:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You never know. I got mine for $86 last year (tho it didn't come with the AC adapter). I was looking at the one that abyssknight is bidding on, but I won't bid now that I know that AK wants it. (Good luck.)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 7:14 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Bidding early is a great way to end up spending $100 more than you want to.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 7:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok folks, to show you an ebay example:

i just won a simpad sl4 for a friend. placed the bid (the amount that was his max + 0.50, imo not a good idea to place an exact amount of x.00$) in the last 20 secs or so (maybe i hurried a little too much) and won it.

someone else placed another bid in the last two secs. an exact amount. so he bid almost the same amount as my max bid. but he did not have time to correct it, so i won. that's why i don't place my bid in the last two secs - to have time for correction. the ideal way of bidding would be to place it in the last 5-10 secs: then there's time for (a LITTLE) correction, and the others don't really have time if they're not ready for such cases.
or if the other bidder had not placed such an exact amount he again could've won it.

ok maybe all this isn't worth anything but it works for me (it is not the first time that i won something with this strategy)

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 7:52 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 8:03 PM
#
Thanks guys! Actually, my max bid is using the auto-bid thing so its actually at $47 or so right now. I may not scoop it up for $60, but I'd be alright with that considering it is HPC Pro and I'd have to do the money order business. I much prefer PayPal, but I guess that's just me. I'm hoping to get this Clio, or... a MobilePro 780/790/880, Intermec 6651, IBM z50, or something along those lines. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep it in mind while I search!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 8:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah i prefer paypal too.. it's not just you. but i think this method of payment is still covered by buyer protection up to 200$. (paypal is covered up to 1000$)
so don't worry but paypal is so much faster, easier free and etc...

oh btw the nec 780 can fit in your 100$ easily with shipping.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 9:01 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 9:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-01-28 4:50 PM

ok folks, to show you an ebay example:

i just won a simpad sl4 for a friend. placed the bid (the amount that was his max + 0.50, imo not a good idea to place an exact amount of x.00$) in the last 20 secs or so (maybe i hurried a little too much) and won it.

someone else placed another bid in the last two secs. an exact amount. so he bid almost the same amount as my max bid. but he did not have time to correct it, so i won. that's why i don't place my bid in the last two secs - to have time for correction. the ideal way of bidding would be to place it in the last 5-10 secs: then there's time for (a LITTLE) correction, and the others don't really have time if they're not ready for such cases.
or if the other bidder had not placed such an exact amount he again could've won it.

ok maybe all this isn't worth anything but it works for me (it is not the first time that i won something with this strategy)

But it's hard for us working stiffs to be logged onto eBay right at the right moment when we can't access it at work. That's been a frequent problem for me. But I agree with the advice about not using round dollar amounts.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 9:10 PM
#
Hehe, you guys should start a service if you are that good! I wouldn't mind getting another 7X0 if the price was right. When I had my 790 it was pretty good for browsing and everything but it was rather large. If I wanted to get something that big, I might as well get the 880, or similar. That's why this time I am going for anything that's in my budget.

EDIT: Oh man, now I'm really considering splurging on an Intermec or a 720. Sheesh, eBay is bad for me! Anyways, if anyone wants to scoop up an Intermec, there's one at 18hrs. I want to bid on it, but I shouldn't...

Edited by abyssknight 2006-01-28 9:38 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 10:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i usually have the time / chance to go online when the auction is near the end. thats my good luck... hehe

what is a right price for a 7x0 ? do you mean 790 or 720?

get that intermec!!

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-28 10:10 PM
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 10:11 PM
#
I believe the 720's are going for about $200-250 and the 780's are going for $100, while the 790's go for a tad more at $150. I think.

I am going to stalk those Intermecs. If anyone wants to grab one and sell it to me for a markup, thats fine too!

There are quite a few 720's on eBay going for around $200, which I find odd. When I was looking before they were at least $300. I believe they are the 'cosmetically-challenged' ones, but still...

EDIT: Oh, you meant 'right'! Sheesh, clicking a little too fast on here... For a MP780, I'd probably want to pay less than $100, and would expect it to be in very good condition. For a 790, probably on par with $100 and also in decent condition. Personally, for $150 I expected a sharp machine when I bought my first 790. Maybe I'm a little too picky, who knows!

Edited by abyssknight 2006-01-28 10:15 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8