x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Trouble with vxSniffer

atxero
atxero Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 12:40 PM
#
I have installed vxSniffer on my Jornada 720 which is running HPC2000. The program starts. Then I go to the properties to select the wireless adapter that I am using. I have a Lucent Technologies Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card. So I select from the list the "Agere Wireless Network Driver." That is the driver that I think that I am using. After that is done I confirm it and go to "Start Trace" under the File menu I select that and then I keep getting this error dialogue box that says....

"Cannot open adapter
Agere Wireless Network Driver"

I get that no matter what device or driver that I select from the pull down list, so that is doesn't allow me to sniff. I have searched the net with no answers found yet.... Any ideas?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 1:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It could mean that the agere driver isn't fully NDIS compatible. Can you try with a different driver - an agere ref driver may be or another NIC?

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0031.asp
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 1:54 PM
#
C:Amie probably hit it on the head. I use vxSniffer on my Axim X3i PPC (yes, a piddle pee cee ) and it works very well. It all depends on the card you have. Once you get it running, it is a very sweet little program.
 Top of the page
atxero
atxero Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 6:29 PM
#
Well that did it, vxSniffer is working great now. I installed the drivers from the site here. I think I was using an old driver or something as I had downloaded it from who knows where in a hurry a few days ago. Thanks for the great help.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-01-30 7:06 PM

It could mean that the agere driver isn't fully NDIS compatible.

sorry to ask but i already saw this expression in this context somewhere else. so.. what exactly does NDIS compatibility mean?
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 7:03 PM
#
NDIS is short for the "Network Driver Interface Specification". The primary purpose of NDIS is to define a standard API for "Network Interface Cards" (NIC's). The details of a NIC's hardware implementation is wrapped by a "Media Access Controller" (MAC) device driver in such a way that all NIC's for the same media (e.g., Ethernet) can be accessed using a common programming interface.

http://www.ndis.com/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 11:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just to summarise a practical point on that. NDIS provides the driver interface layer for the areas where Software/Hardware collide on the Standardised Network Communication Model (Called OSI).

It makes the driver 'protocol independent', meaning your LAN adapter can operate with TCP/IP - as is mostly the case, as well as AppleTalk, IPX, SPX, NetBEUI or any other higher level network protocol. Where that protocol comes from is down to the Operating System and the user, the driver, basically, doesn't care.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 28