x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 10:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey all,

My mp 900c has recently glitched on me twice. I have a good battery and backup battery, but I have went to use it and it wouldn't turn on. When I change the battery it came back up as a total wipe of all the current info in memory, all programs etc.

Very frustrating! Any ideas would be appreciated.

That being said, I reinstalled everything, and now my touchscreen is not responding properly. Normally when you touch and hold it opens up a menu as if pressing alt when tapping. Now it doesn't do that and my left alt key is not responding.

Any ideas? I'm hoping I don't have to reinstall everything again to get it working right.

Thanks!
Guyturf
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-30 11:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hum. can you tell me if your 900c is an original 900c or an upgraded 900?

which battery did you change, main battery or backup?

if it was the main battery, your internal battery switch may be broken. not sure... mine is broken yet my 900 doesn't hard reset if i change the battery when the unit is powered off. (if it is powered on, then yeah it will hard reset )

if it was the backup battery... well, that's mysterious... i guess just another glitch of the 900's flaky power system.

oh or was it just the main battery fully discharged when the 900c wouldn't turn on?

dunno about the alt key but if you don't restore from your backup (did you do a restore at all?), just use the machine without anything installed, are the alt key and touch screen all ok? if yes then i won't elaborate on my ideas about the touch screen fault but then list your programs maybe..?

sorry for the many questions but i'm interested... (in the cause of the problems and the solution)
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 6:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey thanks,

It is an original 900c. Never had a problem after almost a year of use until about 4 weeks ago.

That being said, I solved my problem this morning. Sleep is good when you have problems

Turns out, my mucking around with dll's to run stuff for pocket pc was part of the problem. I put a newer aygshell.dll on and everything went wonky. When I deleted the replacement aygshell... all the keyboard and screen problems went away.

I still don't know what's up with the weird power glitch though... very frustrating when that happens, even if I can restore everything from backup in 20 minutes.

Does anyone know how to install all the software, registration keys, dll's etc to a cf card so that the system can run everything with nothing actually installed in the 900c's main memory?

I'm thinking it would be nice if I could run all my progs from the internal flash and cf cards so that even if it does a factory reset I can just carry on. I notice a lot of progs still install to the windows or program directory although I say install to storage card...

any ideas?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh yeah i guessed it could be an aygshell

once i did the same... i did not get touch screen problems or anything but some dialogs got distorted until i deleted the aygshell.

power glitch: i still don't understand, can you answer my questions about it? thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 9:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Guyturf,

When you install a program via Activesync, and it asks if you want to install the program into the default location...just say "NO WAY DUDE." It will then ask you to specify the location and you can direct it to install either to the internal memory or a CF card, or whatever.

However, in the event of a hard reset, you would still need to upgrade the registry to reflect the changes that occured during the install process if any. Plus, all your shortcut links will be gone, so you'd have to copy them over too. I find for myself, just using the bUseful backup that came with the 900C and creating a self-extracting file is by far the easiest thing to do.

I install all of the programs that I can into the internal drive, that is those that don't require any registry changes or extra drivers....

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

as for bsquare backup... it's sooooo slooooooow.

and wally just discovered that it is killing flash very very fast. don't backup to internal flash!
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-01 1:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Rich, but my point is some programs install to the windows folder or program folder even though I say install to the flash or cf card...

As for the note about flash life and backups, that's a good point, I use a 5 gig toshiba pcmcia card for backups myself.

Question though, maybe someone can answer. Are the other memory cards any longer lasting re: life span and read-writes? I'm thinking maybe if they are I should look at an adapter for another format if so.

Any thoughts?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-01 5:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Guyturf - 2006-02-01 11:43 AM

Thanks Rich, but my point is some programs install to the windows folder or program folder even though I say install to the flash or cf card...

I believe programs installed on a storage card do save some files on the actual H/PC...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9