x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-01 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If you have an arm hpc2k or better machine Sprite Backup (a ppc app) should work. I remember reading the guy that owned cmonex's Sig III had it working.

Why Sprite? It offers a ton of choices and features, but probably most important, it's very fast and doesn't seem to destroy flash cards. (Bsquare backup is very slow IMO and I'm pretty sure it's what killed a pair of 256mb CF cards.)

I've used it on my Casio for a long time and it's not failed yet.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-01 9:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow what does it need to work, aygshell?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-01 11:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

dunno, I did a minihack with some success. It began to run then said I should reinstall.

I'm busy with the sl4 & 720 standby prob at the moment. Let us know how sprite works out

ps. Wow, using my sl4 bites, This stylus input stinks. I hope the sl4 works for my primary reason, navigation when flying. If not, I'll flog it.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 3:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I just use EzBackup on my SmartBook. Works like a charm.
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html?/j7xx/software/util/ezbackup.html

And HP backup was nice and built-in for the Jornada too. (so you don't need to have the setup for the backup program always on your CF, in case of an unexpected hard reset.)

How does Sprite compared to those two? I mean, a backup is only useful when it can be restored With EzBackup, I just need to keep an 80KB cab file (and make sure it's flagged read-only), plus the backup files on the CF card. Can you easily setup Sprite from memory card after a hard reset? If you can it would be worth a look.

BTW, doesn't Casio have a good backup utility built-in too? I have an E-125 and I only ever used it's built-in backup.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 5:16 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Where to start?

I like the HP backup program too. Fairly quick and seems reliable. Casio didn't include a backup program in flash for the E200. It's on the CD which I don't have.

Sprite can create executable backups so the program isn't needed to restore. Sprite is very fast, allows a multitude of schedules, daily, weekly, low battery, etc. You can define your schedule and forget it . It is very granular with lots of options, it has decent logging, the backup files are small and compressed (compared to HP backup).

Here's hoping cmonex gets it running on hpc2k/cenet so my SL4/720s can be easily restored. The SL4 doesn't have a backup program and I'm very tired scratch building each time it messes up.

edit: Sprite runs from flash or file stores. Thanks for the ezbackup link. It looks good.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-02 5:20 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 6:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I tried Ez. It's like a super flyweight version of Sprite. I found enough bugs and missing essentials to pass on it for serious use. IMO, It's OK for casual users who backup infrequently.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-02-02 11:16 AM

Where to start?

I like the HP backup program too. Fairly quick and seems reliable. Casio didn't include a backup program in flash for the E200. It's on the CD which I don't have.

Sprite can create executable backups so the program isn't needed to restore. Sprite is very fast, allows a multitude of schedules, daily, weekly, low battery, etc. You can define your schedule and forget it . It is very granular with lots of options, it has decent logging, the backup files are small and compressed (compared to HP backup).

Here's hoping cmonex gets it running on hpc2k/cenet so my SL4/720s can be easily restored. The SL4 doesn't have a backup program and I'm very tired scratch building each time it messes up.

edit: Sprite runs from flash or file stores. Thanks for the ezbackup link. It looks good.

ah yes, HP backup is cool, it is much faster than bsquare backup and the restore is incredibly faaast.

i'll try sprite soon would be really funny somehow this is the only working backup program for WM5.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 11:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-02-02 5:17 AM

ps. Wow, using my sl4 bites, This stylus input stinks. I hope the sl4 works for my primary reason, navigation when flying. If not, I'll flog it.

SL4: it does have an unresponsive touch screen i did notice that when trying out a SL4. if it doesn't work out for you, definitely let me know when you're getting rid of it, a friend of mine is dying to have one
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2006-02-02 3:27 AM
I found enough bugs and missing essentials to pass on it for serious use.

BUGS!? Please tell me because I am always scared of bugs

I only use backup for programs and settings. All data file should be in memory card anyway. Why would anyone need to backup frequently?
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 1:22 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I’m currently using EZBackup but it does have a few problems. My J720 suspends because of no activity in the middle of backing-up. Any way to prevent this? I also used the old free version of Sprite backup on my E310 and it worked very well. I looked in the install folder and there are three cab files: Pocket Backup.PPC300_2577.cab, Pocket Backup.PPC300_4000, and Pocket Backup.PPC300_10003. Which file should I try?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

slick204 - 2006-02-02 7:22 PM

Which file should I try?

Pocket Backup.PPC300_2577.cab
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-02 11:01 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks! To satisfy my own curiosity, how can you tell which one to use? The last set of numbers is obviously the clue. I'm just wondering what they mean.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-03 5:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

2577 = ARM
3000/4000 = MIPS
10003 = SH3
also, 10005 = SH4
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-03 2:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks That's good to know. I'll file it away for later.
Did you ever finish the "Beginners Guide to Hex Editing"?
I hope to get time to play with Sprite backup this weekend.
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-03 2:59 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks That's good to know. I'll file it away for later.
Did you ever finish the "Beginners Guide to Hex Editing"?
I hope to get time to play with Sprite backup this weekend.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9