x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wi-Fi Scanner

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Frozen
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 11:58 PM
#
Well I was delighted to know that it (PocketWinc) actually works so was happily walking around and testing it. Is there any way that my neigbors could have detected me?

I can see their SSIDs. Some of the networks show signal strength and when I tap on it, it has this pop up box.."associating ..." Thats when I could get onto the various networks.

I did try going through the list of networks but I was either getting the Access denied message or my browser just cant get connected although there were signal strength from various networks.

Also there were some icons. Is there any place that I can search to tell me what all those icons mean? Those with the antennas...sometime it goes green sometimes red and sometimes with rings around them.

I shall try again using another browser...I cant use Ministumbler as I am using Aironet 350.

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 12:19 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If your neighbors do not have their network locked down, it is their fault. Just a reminder that people need to keep their networks secure! If you want to use their connection, if it is locked down ask them.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 6:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is possible to detect you, but in most setups that would require someone to be monitoring the WAP connections list / MAC address list.

Get yourself some chalk and go have some fun
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 6:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

heheh, i've just tested pocketwinc with a secured network and it said just the same "requesting IP", so i suppose if you get that message then the network is secured. you can be sure about it if you see the wep icon (if you can't find out which one is that just tell me..)
can we try to clarify an important detail? have you ever succeeded in connecting to a wlan and using the browser (IE of course) for browsing? if not, then you're just out of luck, as you can't see an unsecured network lol i recommend you buy a wlan router for your home..
yep, they could've discovred you if they had listened but i don't believe anyone actually does it so no need for worrying (though you're better off if you avoid potential honeypots hahaha).
ah about the icon meanings, i can't remember them just now as i'm online via gprs, and don't want to go back testing with pocketwinc again i promise i'll tell you about them later.
oh and it wasn't the browser's fault! anyway you have only one worthy alternative and that is netfront and only if you have at least hpc2000 - ok with pocketwinc running happily on your device i can guess it is
 Top of the page
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 4:53 AM
#
I tried using FTXBrowser...no luck!! I was able to get onto wlan before and using IE...so I am not too sure what is the problem??

I installed netfront 3.0 but it (the browser) doesnt work...*Scream* Cmonex: can you help me? You had a thread on Netfront and managed to get it to work..Right now I have 3 messages which appeared consecutively:

"Constructing environment file" and "Cannot save file" and then it prompts for license key?!?

I have the aygshell (16.5KB), doclist (6.5KB), mfcce300 (404KB), mfcce301, olece300 (254KB). Do i have the right dlls???

As for Pocketwinc, initially I had installed the free version..but now i have installed 2.0 version as supplied on this thread. The version 2.0 comes with a guide so it helps to explain the icons...Thanks Cmonex for offering to check it out for me...

Using the free or 2.0 versions, I can see the networks available...even in my office I can see the various access points but I cant get onto it. Thats frustrating.....Is the WEP icon the one with a key next to the lock icon? Because if it is, I dont see them at all? And is an unsecured network is the icon with an unlocked lock right? If it is, I see them...so what is wrong? I have a good mind to buy a wlan router!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 5:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh. so many problems.. but i hope i can help somehow.
as i said its not likely that IE was the problem. even if IE is, using ftxbrowser won't solve as it uses
IE's engine, it just provides you with some more features (tabbed browsing, saving images, etc..).
if you want to make sure if it's the browser, try pinging a web address with pocketwinc.. if you don't get a reply, then IE isn't the culprit..

well it's interesting that you could use some of the networks before. try harder or reinstall your wlan driver..

about netfront: hey it's working! yes, right dlls. you just need the license key, as it's the full version... hahaha. try the trial version, that will give you 30 days' usage before it expires... then you can decide if you want to buy it or..
trial version is available on netfront's site or here: http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php (ready for install with dll's).

i think it's the wep icon, yes. you mean they're not locked? hmmm .... then i suggest you try reinstalling the driver.. but before you do that, check if you get an IP at all. pocketwinc will show it to you ("view ip properties". i'm just curious because it could mean something..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 5:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh i forgot one thing: if there're several available networks, then your device will just connect to one of them and if it's locked or doesn't have internet at all that could be a problem. try giving an SSID in the cisco utility (or connect with pocketwinc) that's not secured. still you cant be sure if it has internet available... just try...
 Top of the page
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 6:41 AM
#
I dont see any IP address.. The IP address and subnet mask is 0.0.0.0

I have re-installed the new wlan driver...now I can see internet availability but still can't gain access to the Net..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 9:41 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

so pocketwinc says its 0.0.0.0? well forget it, they won't let you in... try another network
maybe it's the easiest solution if you just buy a wlan router
 Top of the page
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 12:01 PM
#
Hey Cmonex....I did get an IP address when trying another network. it has these two icons next to it: unlocked icon and a tick. Which means its unsecured network and there is internet availability, right? Which means I should be able to access the network, right? But I'm still not able. In this case, any idea why?

Yeah maybe its time to get a wlan router....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe mac address filtering is blocking you out (though i'm not sure if you should get an IP then at all). what is the IP? a normal 192.168.xx.xx or something else?
i have no other idea now...
 Top of the page
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 10:08 PM
#
When i have PocketWinc on, it tends to show all the networks available in the vincity. they all will have the unsecure icons and crosses next to the networks. And after a long while, some of the crosses that are next to the networks will become ticks. Which I take to mean I should be able to access the internet.

Some of the IP address would be 0.0.0.0 and some would have the 192.168.XX.XX. Sometimes this message pops up "A DHCP server could not be contacted. Using cached lease information".

I dont really know what all these mean or translate in layman's term....

Sorry Cmonex for asking too many questions....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well it can't always find a dhcp server (dhcp server gives the IP to you), at least mine can't, though i have dhcp enabled here at home but it still can get on the internet. so don't care about it.
i don't know exactly what the problem is in your case, but i've had it once or twice that my 720 wouldn't connect properly, it was associated but not online - just as in your case. i edited the registry and it worked after that but when the problem arised again, i got tired of it and just did a hardreset. neither of these solutions are too appealing i'm sure of course if it's been solved since then, let me know!
 Top of the page
Alex
Alex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 10:08 PM
#
I'm tired of meddling with it as well... I have VxUtil installed. PocketWinc seems to interfere with VxUtil though. Decided to just stick to vxUtil although its all too manual. Maybe should do a hard reset...very tempting...

Thanks for all your advice. Cheers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

vxUtil won't be enough as you can't specify which SSID to connect to and that can cause problems easily..
how do they interfere? i have both of them and have no problems.
if you do a hardreset please report back if you succeeded after that or not. thanks
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8