x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 Replacement?

1 2
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 8:25 AM
#
It sucked because my machine was a Media Center PC and since the damn DVD drive didn't work, it wasn't a great Media machine. The actual HP people that work on these machines and take service calls are somewhere in Canada. But to get to Canada, you have to spend 30-45 minutes effing around with the people in India. But once you do get to talk to a Canadian it's smooth sailing. I actually got the same Canadian 3 times while trying to get it fixed which was nice.

I wish my Dell hadn't been stolen and I didn't buy HP gear. Dell's gone down hill in recent years but it's still better then anyone around.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 10:58 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well wait, Dell is opening up 5,000 more jobs in India. I hate trash like that ,outsourcing for some not all.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Elite

double post.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-02-05 11:14 AM
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 10:32 PM
#
I'm starting to get pissed at HP because the only e-mail I've gotton was some auto response crap. So I'm two twitches away from taking it apart and doing it myself.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 12:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya - 2006-02-05 7:58 AM

Well wait, Dell is opening up 5,000 more jobs in India. I hate trash like that ,outsourcing for some not all.

S/F,
CEYA!

Well, you can be sure that politics plays a role in that.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 4:27 PM
#
It may have it may not have. All I know is HP is screwing me over on this here.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 4:47 PM
#
Alright I just watched another pin fall out of my Jornada and I'm pretty sure I hear another rattling in there (not just the modem cover).
I'm takin' a backup and removing the batteries. I don't want the mainboard to go out too....
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Bob, geez, I've never heard of this many pins falling out.

If someone here has taken their 720 apart they can confirm if the pcmcia connector pins are actually bent 90 degrees at the connector where it attaches to the mainboard. So the pins should be one continuous piece from the mainboard to the bare end so I don't understand how they could fall out.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-06 10:43 PM
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 11:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Inserting a card wrong can do it if the card is worn down enough to miss the pin alignment. The plastic of the pin body can break.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 11:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Then are the pins that are falling out actually wires with a 90 degree bend in them? maybe hpcs attach pcmcia connectors to the mainboards different than I'm used to.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 5:08 PM
#
I've got two pins so far and I've kept 'em but I'm sure there are more floating around inside.
The pins are kinda oddly shaped, lemme crack open paint and do a little 'diagram'.
If I get the time I'll grab my scanner and scan the actual pins. But that is the general shape. They don't look like they've snapped off or been bent, or it was really clean. It looks like the PC Card slot is just kinda falling apart and could be possibly put back together. I think I'm gonna take it apart cause I still don't have any response from HP.
Anyone have a good disasembly written up?
www.laurasteele.net/diagram.bmp

Edited by bobbarker 2006-02-07 5:10 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10