x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 Replacement?

1 2
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 6:47 PM
#
Okay well my 720's been out of action for a few months simply because the PC Card slot had seemed to stop functioning.

Well I started thinkering with it again tonight and when I took the stylus out a damn pin fell out. Now my CF card works fine but my PC Card hasn't (I've tried multiple cards of the same brand, many drivers, different wireless cards....(all ORiNOCO and 1 Intel).

Now that I've figured the problem I guess I need to follow the next step: New PC Card slot or a whole new PDA. So my question is anyone have any suggestions for a 720 like device (I know they havn't made them in ages) something like a NEC MP or something similar? Also thought of going up to the J820 just because it had a larger keyboard and bigger screen, USB, VGA out. All tickle me to death

My other option is to buy a busted 720 and try a PC Card Slot transplant.

EDIT:
Anyone have a busted out 720 and willing to sell me the PC Card slot? I miss my 720 and I want it back!

Edited by bobbarker 2006-02-04 7:02 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

newer j720 like and sized device? really only the sigmarions. the others are totally obscure asian machines.

i guess you can get a pc slot or dead j72x on ebay... hm, here in my country the dead j720's go for less than 50$ locally. dunno about ebay as i never look at these listings there because of this. (i do watch ebay for some other jornada stuff though)

oh but i've seen techsmartz's cosmetically challenged j720's, they are 118$ BIN (or they're sold out already??)

j820... it is a whole lot different, you sure don't mind the size difference? also the hvga mobilepro's are twice the size of a nice little jornada.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 8:13 PM
#
I'm scowering my resources for a dead 720 (JLime might have one but their site was hacked so I'm out of luck there).

As far as size as goes I don't really care. Anything smaller then my 10 pound 3ghz P4 laptop I'm happy. I just needed something to take with me to do email and basic web stuff and my 720 was my handy dandy sidekick since 2001-ish. I've even considered stuff like the Sony Picturebooks (tiny full fledged laptops).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah i see. i think for web hpc2000 is better, you may consider a MP 890 (880 with a hpc2000 rom), there's one for sale at pocketpcmag nec mobilepro forums now. or an intermec 6651.
they both have usb and vga and whatnot (but for the intermec the vga cable is rare, hard to get, for the 880 it is easy to buy for 10$ on ebay).
j820 is cool too, but it is hpc pro with PIE3..
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 8:40 PM
#
I like the looks of the Intermec, a tad hard to find but I like the size and the camera.

I emailed HP to see what I might be able to get out of them, maybe a repair that could possibly be cheap (doubtful) but it's worth a shot.

I'll check out the NEC MP you mentioned.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 8:56 PM
#
Found a $90 buy it now 720 that comes with nothing. No adapters, no batteries. Perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Jornada-720-F1816A_W0QQitemZ5862785448QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think I'll go that route.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bobbarker - 2006-02-05 2:56 AM

Found a $90 buy it now 720 that comes with nothing. No adapters, no batteries. Perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Jornada-720-F1816A_W0QQitemZ5862785448QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Package Include :
- HP Jornada 690 Handheld only"

sttrange... but the pic is more like 720... the initial boot screen for example.. the 680/690 does not boot with the hp invent screen (they have this colourful Jornada title...)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bobbarker - 2006-02-05 2:40 AM

I like the looks of the Intermec, a tad hard to find but I like the size and the camera.

I emailed HP to see what I might be able to get out of them, maybe a repair that could possibly be cheap (doubtful) but it's worth a shot.

I'll check out the NEC MP you mentioned.

the camera isnt worth anything for me, it is only vga. similar to a phone camera. (except that intermecs have had it for years!! amazing!)

not so hard to find if you're determined enough i had four intermecs here just a day ago (only two mine... but one isn't always working) yes four.. i even have pics )

well but i see you settled down for the j720...

as for HP, i don't know anything about HP USA, but HP Hungary has a very nice attitude, they will still exchange a dead or non fully functional jornada 720 for a brand new 720 (OK, sitting in the warehouse for years), brand new battery, all this with a new one year warranty. (the original dead j720 does not have to have any warranty afaik)
this of course comes at a price which isn't so bad, around 200$ in our currency.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 10:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-02-04 6:24 PM

bobbarker - 2006-02-05 2:56 AM

"Package Include :
- HP Jornada 690 Handheld only"

sttrange... but the pic is more like 720... the initial boot screen for example.. the 680/690 does not boot with the hp invent screen (they have this colourful Jornada title...)

I think that's a typo. Everything else in the listing matches the 720. Of course, if there's any doubt, bobbarker can always contact the seller.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-04 10:28 PM
#
Yeah if I do go for the Intermec the camera would be used on something like MS Portrait and video confrence kinda stuff or possible robot type uses.

But damn I wish the US had such nice 720 support! Until now I've not had any kind of troubles with my 720 that required any real serivce so I dunno where I'll get.

But over the past year or two most of my PCs have become HP and I've had to deal with them once (Shipped with a faulty DVD burner) and it was Hell. It took 3 weeks to finally convince them that it wasn't a software issue and stuff. I'm hoping this might go better.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 1:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I'd rather undergo a rectal exam than deal with HP US support. They are the most incompetent and untrustworthy outfit I've ever dealed with. IMO

bob, you can try what I did to fix my Casio broken pin problem. With care your problem is solved.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3193&posts=17

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-05 2:04 AM
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 2:20 AM
#
I might try that. The pin I've got doesn't appear bent and just looks like it's fallen out. So I might be able to reinsert it.

Depending on what HP says I'll be breaking the warrenty sticker soon.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 2:22 AM
#
I might try that. The pin I've got doesn't appear bent and just looks like it's fallen out. So I might be able to reinsert it.

Depending on what HP says I'll be breaking the warrenty sticker soon.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 5:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

bobbarker - 2006-02-04 7:28 PM

But over the past year or two most of my PCs have become HP and I've had to deal with them once (Shipped with a faulty DVD burner) and it was Hell.

Maybe that's what the "H" stands for in HP.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 5:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The "H" ain't "helpful", "honest", "hospitable" or "humane".

HP got to kick me hard, twice. There won't be a third time.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9