x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Looking for some reader of the CHM files for BSquare PHH

justjust Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 7:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi

is there anybody knows how can PHH read the chm files?
i've try the chmreader.net, it doesn't work and responds with some errors...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 10:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Maybe you can try some chm to html converter and read the html in your hpc. that's how i do it.

Regards
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 11:27 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

(I don't know if there is an easy to find thread or answer for this in the forums. Here is how I got around it!)

I recently wanted to use a CHM file on my CE net handheld, and I couldn't find a reader.

On the Internet I found this information on how to "decompile" the help file to its original html format and files.

I ended up doing. I decompiled the file and copyed the folder containing the files to my handheld. This worked fine for me - you read them in your browser!

If you want to do this it requires a little work on your part. I'll assume that "DOS" is a foreign language!

You can do this with the "hh.exe" file on your Windows machine (It should already be in your PC's "Windows" directory/folder.)

The basic steps:
===========
Assume your CHM file is "MyCHM.CHM"

1. Copy your CHM file to the root directory (or Folder) "C:\". This simplifies commands later! You can use the Windows Explorer to do this. You may want to change the filename if it is long, such as: "This is My CHM.chm" may be renamed to "MyCHM.chm"

2. Make temporary directory / folder in the root directory (again it will be easier to find and type the command!)
You can do this with Windows explorer.
Example: Create a new folder called "MyCHM" (C:\MyCHM)

3. Use the hh.exe file from the "Run" command of the start menu. Click on Start and Run. For our Example filenames and locations, type:

"hh.exe -decompile \MyCHM \MyCHM.chm" <- Without the quotes and note that there are spaces between each command. Remember our example assumes that the folder is MyCHM and the filename is MyCHM.chm and both are in the root directory or folder "\".)

Use the explorer to check the contents of your MyCHM directory. It should have a good number of files in it. If not check your "Run" command syntax, again.

Clear as mud?!

Note: The downside is that files take more ram.

If you find a CHM reader. I would be interested in it as well.

DG
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

After you decompile the CHM, you can get isiloX and compile it for the isilo reader, it compresses it and makes it only one ".pdb" file. That's how i do to read my chms in my sig
 Top of the page
justjust Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 7:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks!! matrixcore and D.G(espeially for your tutorial with so many patience)!!
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 8:43 PM
#
I don't know why you would waste your time decompiling a CHM file when there are already several nice CHM readers for Windows CE. Especially CE 4.x+

There is even one that is designed just for H/PCs!

Champagne for H/PC 2000+ can be found here:
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/software/leisure/champagne.html
If you are on CE 4.x you will need to copy the Handheld PC 2000 versions of the MFC runtimes. (mfcce300.dll/olece300.dll) These can be found in HPC:Factor's Download section.

There is also another CHM reader from the same author as CHMReader.NET called "CHM Reader for Pocket PC." This version, while older, is written in native code (C++ and MFC) and it much faster than the .NET version at times. It also has source code available if you wish to compile it yourself. "CHM Reader for Pocket PC" is pretty comparable to Champagne as far as features. In fact, Champagne may even be based on "CHM Reader for Pocket PC" but I'm not too sure. Its main downside is that since there is not a complete implementation of the doclist control for H/PC, it must be associated with CHM files in order to open them. You will also need to use the Pocket PC versions of the MFCCE300.dll/OLECE300.dll librarys.

"CHM Reader for Pocket PC" can be downloaded here:
http://www.codeproject.com/ce/CHMReader.asp

You will need to first register at Codeproject before you can download it. If you do not wish to do so, I have attached it to this post to save time.

Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 8:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry, I forgot to login.

The above Guest post is mine.

"CHM Reader for Pocket PC 2002/2003" is also attached. ;P

Edited by TFGBD 2006-02-19 8:55 PM
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-04-08 11:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I don't know why you would waste your time decompiling a CHM file when there are already several nice CHM readers for Windows CE. Especially CE 4.x+

There is even one that is designed just for H/PCs!

Champagne for H/PC 2000+ can be found here:
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/software/leisure/champagne.h...
If you are on CE 4.x you will need to copy the Handheld PC 2000 versions of the MFC runtimes. (mfcce300.dll/olece300.dll) These can be found in HPC:Factor's Download section

Hi, I tried out the Champagne

My Neta got a little sick.

Using every MFC I can think of and even a touch of HexEditing, I can get the program to run. However, It won't properly display the files (It will display the "Table of Contents", but none of the actual text will be present.

The file works fine on my Jornada 720.

CHMReader will run but gives a "doclist" error.
CHMReader P2002 caused my Neta to <burp> (probably too many bubbles from the Champagne).

Any other versions out there?

Thanks

DG
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

does the program use htmlview? then thats why you cant see the text under cenet but can with hpc2000..
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 11:07 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

does the program use htmlview?

Yes, it does.

The neta has a copy in the ROM version.

I hexedited the .exe a number of ways:
1. Pointed at the 4.10 versions of mfcce400.dll (that allowed the program to run initially.)
2. Pointed to a number of other 300 versions of mfcce300.dll (some of those allowed the program to start.)

I would guess that the htmlview and/or the imgdecmp.dll's are involved. I tried every version I could get my hands on. Most of them would give errors. --- most gave errors under executabiltycheck about linked files.

I downloaded everything available from your site and this site. ).

By the way, how and what does the rewrite lib name do under executabilitycheck?

DG
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-09 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry but the neta's htmlview isn't compatible

no one managed to find the original hpc2000 one.

rewrite lib name actually does what you'd do with a hexeditor, replacing mfcce300 to 301 and so on.. i heard it isn't always working perfectly so i usually use the hexeditor on the PC except if i get lazy or there's no hexeditor available
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-14 4:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CHM Reader for Pocket PC will not show the doclist because the current homebrew implementation is not yet complete. Did you try opening CHM files with it by associating them with the .exe? It can be used on H/PC 2000, but I suspect it also has the same htmlview issues Champange had...

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10