x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Deciding tween a MP790 and J720

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 11:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yoldering - 2006-02-07 6:58 PM

I know English (of course) Spanish, and am in my second ASL (American Sign Language) class. I hope to be fluent in more soon. I am trying to learn Chinese.

When I was at college in Washington DC, I was so lost in my Spanish classes that I petitioned to become the first person at George Washington to take ASL as a foreign language. I won the petition and studied at Galludet, and it was the hardest language I've ever encountered, and I've lived in many countries since. At Galludet, I was miserable, had to hire TWO tutors, and barely made it through. This was after sailing through my ASL classes at GW--I guess it was like learning high school Spanish and then trying it out in Chile

But I never regretted going to Galludet; it was the most interesting thing I did in college.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yoldering - 2006-02-07 6:58 PM

I know English (of course) Spanish, and am in my second ASL (American Sign Language) class. I hope to be fluent in more soon. I am trying to learn Chinese.

When I was at college in Washington DC, I was so lost in my Spanish classes that I petitioned to become the first person at George Washington to take ASL as a foreign language. I won the petition and studied at Galludet, and it was the hardest language I've ever encountered, and I've lived in many countries since. At Galludet, I was miserable, had to hire TWO tutors, and barely made it through. This was after sailing through my ASL classes at GW--I guess it was like learning high school Spanish and then trying it out in Chile

But I never regretted going to Galludet; it was the most interesting thing I did in college.

Jake
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Is there such a thing as a single Chinese language? I thought there were two main dialects, Cantonese and Mandarin? I'm learning a bit of Mandarin using a neat program on my ppc.

I also have studied ASL and find it fascinating. I'm not fluent but getting closer every day.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 3:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-02-07 3:16 PM

CE Geek - 2006-02-07 8:17 PM

Trouble is, it's been so long (neunundzwanzig Yahren) that I don't know how much I remember. But after learning a second language, I really came to appreciate how hard a language English is to learn.

nope, english isnt that hard to learn.
german is much harder regarding the more complicated grammer.. it is very logical actually but you have to remember the gender of nouns and probably it is not easy to handle the 48 cases for adjectives put before nouns especially if you want to be able to do that *automatically*. on the other hand after a little practice now i can use english grammar automatically (..does not necessarily mean perfectly ) .. if you understand what i mean..
then we didnt even mention french ok i never studied french but the grammar seems to be more difficult than german (not sure if it's logical at all.)
at least the vocab is easy after english

finally, the most cool thing to do is totally OFF'ing a thread

Well, for some reason German was easy for me. I took first-year German as a high school sophomore, then skipped to third-year German as a junior. Then I skipped my senior year to go to college at the tender age of 16, and passed the German test at USC to exempt myself from all three required semesters of foreign language.

Boy, have I taken us off topic!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow this amount of OT hrrrm.. should consider opening a new thread in the OFF forum
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 5:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Let size be your deciding factory between the two. If you need portability, go with the 720. If you need typeability, go with the 790. Or if you need a specific application, make sure it runs on whatever machine you select.

I too took German in high school...1968 and 1969. Then when I was stationed in Weisbaden in 1974, I spent some evenings communicating with some German lasses (I WASN'T MARRIED YET).

I have since forgotten 99% of the language, but never forgot the girls....

Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Monica, it might be easier to just rename this thread
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-02-09 1:29 AM

Monica, it might be easier to just rename this thread

sorry, i dont have mod rights here

also it really belongs to the off forum. oh and this thread did have some ontopic answers...

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-08 8:32 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I never had a 790 but the 720 is good to go. The the recording is awesome. if the J720 had a screen like the mobile play station it would kick butt.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-02-08 11:13 PM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2006-02-07 11:18 PM

I guess it was like learning high school Spanish and then trying it out in Chile

mm.. maybe is a bad example.... what did u try to say with that?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ShadowMaster - 2006-02-08 9:14 PM

Jake - 2006-02-07 11:18 PM

I guess it was like learning high school Spanish and then trying it out in Chile

mm.. maybe is a bad example.... what did u try to say with that?

Learning a language in a classroom and using it in real life are two different things, the latter much more difficult.
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 11:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Try polish, it has even funnier grammar than german :-)
(in polish: "Spróbujcie polskiego, ma jeszcze zabawniejszą gramatykę od niemieckiego :-)".

I didn't have any Jornada in my hands - JLime sounds nice, so is stereo 3.5" jack - but now I have MP780, going for the 790 soon and I love it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

stasheck - 2006-02-09 5:00 PM

Try polish, it has even funnier grammar than german :-)
(in polish: "Spróbujcie polskiego, ma jeszcze zabawniejszą gramatykę od niemieckiego :-)".

I didn't have any Jornada in my hands - JLime sounds nice, so is stereo 3.5" jack - but now I have MP780, going for the 790 soon and I love it

polish.. hmm ok

definitely upgrade to 790!! i just did it and my 780 (now 789) is much better now.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10