x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Launching applications with Volume Keys on J720

ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 2:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Maybe a few people here already know about this but the action performed by the front keys on your jornadas is set in the registry...therefore you can change the action made by these keys with a simply registry editor and even with Total Commander (\\\registry folder)...

WARNING: REGISTRY EDITION NEEDED!!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE REGISTRY PLEASE LEARN THAT FIRST XD!

Ok, how does it work?
Believe it or not, the Volume up/down and play/Pause features are achieved by means of executing programs... actually when you press the "volume up" key, you are executing the file "\Windows\VolumeUp.lnk", that is a windows shortcut....
Similar goes with VolumeDown.lnk and PlayPause.lnk....

How does WindowsCE know WHAT file to launch?
That's stored on the WinCE Registry...
Check out the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Keys key (folder)..
Contains lot of subkeys (subfolders) named like 40BD, 40C1, 40D0, and so on...
We are interested on these: 40D1, 40D2 and 40D3
40D1 = Volume Up
40D2 = Volume Down
40D3 = Play/Pause

The Default value for 40D1 reads "\Windows\VolumeUp.lnk"...
try changing this value to "\Windows\cmd.exe".... save and then hit the volume up key..... the cmd console window should be launched

Well, we can assign ANY executable file to these keys using this method....
Someone asked me this a few moments ago.. and since It may be useful for someone I decided to post it too......
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-06 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Very cool. I have my J-720 hot keys additionally programmed at cntrl-IE, alt-IE, etc. to launch a variety of third-party apps, but hadn't know that the same could be done with the machine's exterior buttons.

But I did reprogram those buttons to skip songs back and forth rather than move the volume up and down. GSPlayer used to include that hack, though not sure if it still does.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9