x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Bluetooth GPRS

zacnici Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am thoroughly pleased with my 720 particularly with the Softmaker apps, Adobe etc etc.

I am now trying to use my SE K700i with a Socket Bluetooth CF (120G drivers) so that I can use it for email primarily and occassionaly surfing.

I have been able to pair them and can dial up but cannot configure my phone /720 for GPRS.

The nearest I can find about it is a reference about dialling *99"

Sorry I am being incredibly thick, could some kind soul please talk me through it simple steps

Regards
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

don't worry this is possible to do, i have been able to achieve the same though with a different BT phone.

first, you have to acquire the exact APN from your gprs provider. specify that in your phone and then just setup a new dialup connection in remote networking with *99# or *99***1# if the simple 99 doesn't work.

if that stil ldoesn't help, let us know
 Top of the page
charliet
charliet Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 9:14 PM
#
You should also be able to set the phone up as a dial up modem. I have on occassion used my phone to connect to my isp via dialup. Slower than GPRS but still useful. You can probably check with your service provider as to data and dial up options and get help on setting them up. Seems as every provider has something slightly different that is required.

Top of the page
zacnici Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for above, now making progress. HP dialler was insisting on adding my local code in front of *99#

So I have bonded my phone and J720, I can now dial up (which is better than a poke in the eye) and I can now establish a connection - hoorah...

The only thing is that I cannot connect to the web or send and receive emails from my J720.

I am using the same account details on the J720 and phone. I know the GPRS settings work on the phone.

Just for further info, I am using a SE K700i phone on Virgin Mobile.

Thanks in anticipation

(PS also have queries about synching contacts and transferrring files but will do a seperate post).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

try maybe ispfix?

also, what do you mean by "same account details"? may be important, once i did it wrong, i specified a fixed DNS both on the j720 and in the phone, and i had to delete it on the J720 - or install ispfix, that also helped. (the DNS setting itself was correct.)
 Top of the page
charliet
charliet Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 6:08 PM
#
Not to curb your enthusiam, but looking on Virgin Mobile's UK site, I don't see where they offer GPRS Data services. They appear to have WAP ( Bites) available. If thats the case, you may be limited to so called CSD Circuit Swithced Data or basically use the phone as a modem and dial out to your ISP for your email. In this case you would have to put your ISP's phone number in the remote networking or HP Dialup utility so it could be dialed. Also would have to enter user name and password most likely.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

charliet - 2006-02-10 12:08 AM

Not to curb your enthusiam, but looking on Virgin Mobile's UK site, I don't see where they offer GPRS Data services. They appear to have WAP ( Bites) available. If thats the case, you may be limited to so called CSD Circuit Swithced Data or basically use the phone as a modem and dial out to your ISP for your email. In this case you would have to put your ISP's phone number in the remote networking or HP Dialup utility so it could be dialed. Also would have to enter user name and password most likely.

sorry to ask, but cant you forget about csd? slow, expensive (at least in my country). if virgin mobile (i don't know them btw) is unable to offer GPRS they're very very much behind the times!

edit: i checked out that page and it is unusable

but they do have GPRS.
 Top of the page
charliet
charliet Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 11:33 AM
#
CSD is indeed slow, but if you only need to check email its not bad. I also had to connect via CSD one time for my wife to send a payroll to their payroll processing center when her company's cable modem went down. I happened to have my T68i and my bluetooth dongle with me. Set up a connection and used CSD to connect to the payroll service and save the day. My incentive was that her paycheck would have been late if she didn't get the hours in on time. So you never know.....

Top of the page
charliet
charliet Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 12:21 PM
#
Ah yes, I see the WAP service uses GPRS. This is often referred to as tethering your handheld to your phone to get a data connection over the GPRS signal. You can get use this connection to browse the web if the service provider has not locked down port 80. WAP normally uses port 9201 for communication. I use Netfront to access a different port that allows http use instead of Pocket Explorer. While you can set up a proxy to use a different port on Pocket IE, I have never been able to use it to access the web over my phone. I have Netfront configured to use port 8080, and my service providers proxy IP address. In order to access WAP data, you have to have WAP service. Usually the service can automatically send the right connection information to your phone. You then must have a browser or other programs that you can change the ports on to use what port the information is coming from. Do a web search on google for setting up tethering and you will find plenty of information.
 Top of the page
zacnici Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 4:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the above. I did several posts in other NG's but no response. Also mailed SE and Virgin. Virgin replied the next working day as follows:

"At the moment, the GPRS service Virgin Mobile uses is for Enhanced WAP only - we've not yet updated this service to allow connections to external devices or for use as a modem.

The good news is that this is a service we hope to launch at a future date."

However, it is strange that I have seen a reference to achieving a BT connection to Virgin GPRS using a PPC.

http://www.foxpop.co.uk/articles/pocket-pc/335.htm

Still I will keep an eye on things and upadate if/when Virgin introduce this functionality.

Regards
John
 Top of the page
carmelo42
carmelo42 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:01 PM
#
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

carmelo42 - 2006-02-19 11:01 PM

Hi !

Do you think tha this BT adapter is ok for a jornada 680 ?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Belkin-Bluetooth-PDA-PC-Adapter-CF-Combo-Network-Card_W0QQitemZ5868759921QQcategoryZ44999QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

no. get a socket brand!
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 4:59 AM
#
Don't mean to mine the topic, but I'm having this problem where the instead of the required *99# that I need to get GPRS access, my remote connection keeps on trying to dial 011,0 *99# . Where can I turn off the prefix?? It sure as hell bugging me!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-29 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2006-03-29 10:59 AM

Don't mean to mine the topic, but I'm having this problem where the instead of the required *99# that I need to get GPRS access, my remote connection keeps on trying to dial 011,0 *99# . Where can I turn off the prefix?? It sure as hell bugging me!

in dialing patterns - did you find it since then?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12