x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What home PC browser do you use?

1 2 3 4 5 6
What home PC browser do you use?
OptionResults
Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE11 Votes - [24.44%]
11 Votes [24.44%]
Netscape1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Mozilla Firefox22 Votes - [48.89%]
22 Votes [48.89%]
Opera3 Votes - [6.67%]
3 Votes [6.67%]
Safari0 Votes - [0%]
Lynx0 Votes - [0%]
Konqueror1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Other0 Votes - [0%]
Maxthon1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and IE (Trade Off)1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Safari2 Votes - [4.44%]
2 Votes [4.44%]
Orca1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Off By One1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Konqueor1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Add your own option:

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I need to add to my prior post.

I'm using IE 502 exclusively on my older Libretto and Amity machines. Opera won't work on 95, Mozilla and FF are just too bulky to run properly on the limited ram. IE works great.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

When I was at the Acrobat Reader download page, earlier, I noticed plug-ins for Mozilla and Firefox, but not Opera. What do you Opera users do? Is there a plug-in, hack, etc. or do you do without PDF viewing?

Thanks,
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-23 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-03-23 11:07 PM

When I was at the Acrobat Reader download page, earlier, I noticed plug-ins for Mozilla and Firefox, but not Opera. What do you Opera users do? Is there a plug-in, hack, etc. or do you do without PDF viewing?

Thanks,

i just select open file instead of save file, and opera will open the pdf in acrobat reader for me.

KBoyKool - 2006-03-21 2:37 AM
When I had NS Comm4.79, I upgraded to NS6.? and I agree, it was crap. I uninstalled and reinstalled 4.79. I ran with that with no problems until I couldn't load certain pages. I installed 7.1, used the classic setting and love it.

My girlfriend prefers MSIE and is running 6SP1. She recently had problems (which we later determined to be wink.exe) with popups/adware and I recommended she switch to NS7.1 because it has a popup blocker. IE6SP1 doesn't, though 6.0.2900.2180 does. Reading this thread sounds like Opera may be the way to go. I may recommend that to her.

lol i did the same with NS lol. NS was the first browser i used. then started to use IE, and then opera. someone sent me opera (or a link to it) and i just tried it, liked it. this was in 2001, and opera 6.0. then went back to IE, then used both and opera is the main browser for me because of some great features in it...

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-23 5:36 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 11:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That is the one thing I cannot stand about Acrobat/IE, I just do not see the point of having it render the PDF in the browser session. It's the first thing that I disable on my computers. MS Office doing it drives me up the wall as well to be honest. I must prefer to have them all laid out in the Acrobat application, than sprawled around MSIE drinking RAM.

Anyone using the new IE7 beta yet? (I'm not)

wallythacker.
Still not time to bit the bullet and download 5.5 from this site then? I can provide you with a non-shell upgrade version if you want it.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-03-24 10:11 AM

That is the one thing I cannot stand about Acrobat/IE, I just do not see the point of having it render the PDF in the browser session. It's the first thing that I disable on my computers. MS Office doing it drives me up the wall as well to be honest. I must prefer to have them all laid out in the Acrobat application, than sprawled around MSIE drinking RAM.

You can open PDFs in Office apps? How do you open web PDFs out of browser, other than saving and reopening in native reader?

I believe Clinton said he was in an earlier post.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They refreshed the IE7 beta a couple of days ago, that's what I meant.

Not open them in office apps, but MS Office will do like Acobat reader and load up in the web page. To stop Acrobat from doing it. Open the reader program, Edit > Preferences > Internet and remove Display PDF in browser. That will unregister the ActiveX control. I also disable Allow fast web view, as 99% of the time it irritates me having to see page lag.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-03-24 9:32 PM
How do you open web PDFs out of browser, other than saving and reopening in native reader?

why is this so hard to imagine? i just tell opera to open the pdf! instead of saving it! and it will do that for me. the pdf will be opened in acrobat reader itself. but i don't have to save & reopen manually.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-24 3:56 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 4:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Exactly the same process with IE once you disable the ActiveX
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2006-03-24 3:07 PM

Exactly the same process with IE once you disable the ActiveX :D

Okay, it must be a technology change, then... that is new as of like 10 years ago. ;+) I remember many years ago that if I didn't load the plug-in, I couldn't even open a PDF--not in Netscape, not in the reader, nada. Netscape wouldn't know what to do with it, so it wouldn't do anything. I would have to save and open in order to view--until I ran the plugin installation (which at that time wasn't automatic). My question to Opera users was which version do you download. I think the page had a generic download (which I assumed was for NS/IE users), a link for Foxfire and a link for Mozilla users. Again, not realizing the "new" technology, I assumed if you didn't download the proper version, it would act much as NS did long ago.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-03-24 11:34 PM
Okay, it must be a technology change, then... that is new as of like 10 years ago. ;+ I remember many years ago that if I didn't load the plug-in, I couldn't even open a PDF--not in Netscape, not in the reader, nada. Netscape wouldn't know what to do with it, so it wouldn't do anything. I would have to save and open in order to view--until I ran the plugin installation (which at that time wasn't automatic). My question to Opera users was which version do you download. I think the page had a generic download (which I assumed was for NS/IE users), a link for Foxfire and a link for Mozilla users. Again, not realizing the "new" technology, I assumed if you didn't download the proper version, it would act much as NS did long ago.

Thanks,

i did not download anything.

opera can do this out of the box.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2006-03-24 4:43 PM

i did not download anything.

opera can do this out of the box. :)

ahhhh... there we go. very cool
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-24 6:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-03-24 10:34 PM

C:Amie - 2006-03-24 3:07 PM

Exactly the same process with IE once you disable the ActiveX

Okay, it must be a technology change, then... that is new as of like 10 years ago. ;+) I remember many years ago that if I didn't load the plug-in, I couldn't even open a PDF--not in Netscape, not in the reader, nada. Netscape wouldn't know what to do with it, so it wouldn't do anything. I would have to save and open in order to view--until I ran the plugin installation (which at that time wasn't automatic). My question to Opera users was which version do you download. I think the page had a generic download (which I assumed was for NS/IE users), a link for Foxfire and a link for Mozilla users. Again, not realizing the "new" technology, I assumed if you didn't download the proper version, it would act much as NS did long ago.

Thanks,
Course you can, it's called a system MIME type registration. The control does it for you. All the MIME registration is tell the browser what sort of data stream it's getting, and then to pass it to the operating system as filetype xxx, which then in the case of windows goes off to the reigstry and pokes around for a exe to handle it. Get the mime type right:
application/pdf
application/x-pdf
application/acrobat
applications/vnd.pdf
text/pdf
text/x-pdf

And it'll send the PDF to the file handler.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2006-03-24 11:11 AM

wallythacker.
Still not time to bit the bullet and download 5.5 from this site then? I can provide you with a non-shell upgrade version if you want it.

Yes, please, it's time. I tried a shell upgrade (from here) and it failed I agree the latest IE for my platforms is the way to go.

OTOH, Mozilla is OK on my 166mhz Amity. A bit slow starting but OK once it's loaded.

I have no need for Opera with Mozilla and IE. I didn't find it faster than IE.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14