x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What home PC browser do you use?

1 2 3 4 5 6
What home PC browser do you use?
OptionResults
Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE11 Votes - [24.44%]
11 Votes [24.44%]
Netscape1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Mozilla Firefox22 Votes - [48.89%]
22 Votes [48.89%]
Opera3 Votes - [6.67%]
3 Votes [6.67%]
Safari0 Votes - [0%]
Lynx0 Votes - [0%]
Konqueror1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Other0 Votes - [0%]
Maxthon1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and IE (Trade Off)1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Safari2 Votes - [4.44%]
2 Votes [4.44%]
Orca1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Off By One1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Konqueor1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Add your own option:

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have not seen this here yet so here it is... A little poll to see what browser folks here use. I have used Windows mostly, but I have become fed up with the problems I have encountered. I also used Firefox in my computer that died awhile back. I am using a very very old 366mhz Celeron running XP. Windows explorer is very bad on this system; I got sick of it and downloaded Firefox tonight. It is a lot faster on this older system than I thought it would be. So what do ya'll use? Poll will be for the most used. I realize I did not include every one so if it is other please name.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 8:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I've always used IE, since version 3 I think. Didn't like Netscape back in its days, and don't like Firefox now. So I'm very happy to have IE6 in my Smartbook too

BTW, you can use CE.Net emulator and IE6 in it. Perhaps it could be a bit faster than PC version of IE on your system? Actually running XP on a Celeron 366 is quite a stretch in itself, you might want to try Win 9x or 2000.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 8:40 PM
#
Glad to see lynx on that list!

I personally use a few machines... so for most use, Firefox has it. I use Firefox on my Win XP desktop, Safari on my Mac (sometimes Camino), and at work we use Firefox inside Linux (sometimes Konqueror for having 2 sessions at once).

If you want some speed on that 366, I'd recommend going wild and popping an Ubuntu CD in there. That or go off the deep end and install Gentoo and compile everything for that CPU. [I sound like ProgramSynth.. ]
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I am about to upgrade it to a 64bit AMD chip. I At the time my dad built this computer it was the top of the line and it still has over a gig of memory, with a very fast HD, hence the XP OS he changed the chip down to a Celeron and gave it to my grandfather to use. This computer is very quick for what the processor is. IE just does not seem to work well.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 9:19 PM
#
Hehe, I can whole heartily recommend the AMD64 line. My desktop is an AMD64 3000+ and I couldn't live without it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 10:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2006-02-08 2:19 AM

I have not seen this here yet so here it is... A little poll to see what browser folks here use. I have used Windows mostly, but I have become fed up with the problems I have encountered. I also used Firefox in my computer that died awhile back. I am using a very very old 366mhz Celeron running XP. Windows explorer is very bad on this system; I got sick of it and downloaded Firefox tonight. It is a lot faster on this older system than I thought it would be. So what do ya'll use? Poll will be for the most used. I realize I did not include every one so if it is other please name.

well, firefox is horrible on a true P1/P2 (i can see your system is more like a hybrid). IE was the best on a 300 Mhz P2ish (but in reality more like P1 mmx) subnote, with 64 mb edo ram. opera was nice as well, at least opera 6.0. version 7.54 wasnt as nice and i uninstalled it fast. but IE6 worked very well!

i do admit i like IE and hate firefox (bad bad experiences with performance) yet i use opera the most. it is offering wonderful little features and options that i cant live without such as remembering all the tabs i opened in a session and starting with them the next time. or the excellent download manager. or the pasteandgo ... etc.. even the standard opera skin is very nice. it does not have such a good rendering ability as IE6 but it is on par with firefox so im ok with it
i do still use IE as i left it as the default browser so it opens when i click on a link... and because its rendering is the best and i sometimes need it. also via rdp it is better behaving than opera at the resolutions of my hpcs. but firefox is the best when using hvga resolution thats the only thing i use firefox for, sometimes.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-07 10:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use AMD 64's in my new pc and my "big laptop". Both have multi-boot OS's, SOHO Linux, xp and DSL (damn small linux). For compatability I use Firefox a lot. I run Opera 8.5 on my PPC.
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 9:29 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Firefox all the way. Anybody who's done any amount of XHTML/CSS web design should know how poor Internet Explorer really is. I'll reserve judgement for IE7 though...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 11:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

MSIE all the way here. I dip my toe into FF every other relese just to have a look, and always uninstall it after an hour. I don't like the UI, I don't like methodology, I don't like its font rendering system and above all its CSS methodology irritates me. I will use it under Linux installations though.

I'm currently using MSIE 7.0.5296.0, and it's horrific. It'll be coming off once I've finished beta testing.

skyfox01_99 - 2006-02-08 2:29 PM

Firefox all the way. Anybody who's done any amount of XHTML/CSS web design should know how poor Internet Explorer really is. I'll reserve judgement for IE7 though...
There is a good argument for who has the correct CSS interpretation, and granted FF's is on paper further ahead... but lets not pretend that it's W3C OK. Both fail the ACID test on that one.

If Microsoft/Opera Firefox/Mozaic would only agree on the same CSS methodology (and microsoft can go off and bolt on whatever junk they like to the specification - we'll never use it so let them play) I would be a happy bunny. As it stands, give MSIE a width command in a delimited element and it displays, do the same with FF and it goes off and does its own thing. That's not progress.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-02-08 5:38 PM

but lets not pretend that it's W3C OK. Both fail the ACID test on that one.

what about opera, does it fail the ... whatever test too?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 1:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-02-08 6:15 PM

C:Amie - 2006-02-08 5:38 PM

but lets not pretend that it's W3C OK. Both fail the ACID test on that one.

what about opera, does it fail the ... whatever test too?
Yes it fails, same engine.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what kind of strange browser does not fail at that test?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 2:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that Safari was written to pass ACID2
Konqueror, iCab and Prince too.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 3:42 PM
#
Just took it on my Mac whilst in class and can confirm Acid2 compliance for Safari.

http://www.webstandards.org/act/acid2/test.html
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't care all that much if a page renders perfectly or not. It's not like this is medically critical stuff or anything.

So, with that out, I use Firefox all the time. I got tired of updating IE and whatnot. I still use IE for rare sites where Firefox downloads binary files as text, but they're pretty few.

I use opera on my little librettos and it's about all they can handle. I tried Firefox on them and it got ugly after awhile, but opera is pretty zippy. Firefox really isn't for first gen pentiums IMO.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 17