x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What home PC browser do you use?

1 2 3 4 5 6
What home PC browser do you use?
OptionResults
Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE11 Votes - [24.44%]
11 Votes [24.44%]
Netscape1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Mozilla Firefox22 Votes - [48.89%]
22 Votes [48.89%]
Opera3 Votes - [6.67%]
3 Votes [6.67%]
Safari0 Votes - [0%]
Lynx0 Votes - [0%]
Konqueror1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Other0 Votes - [0%]
Maxthon1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and IE (Trade Off)1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Safari2 Votes - [4.44%]
2 Votes [4.44%]
Orca1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Off By One1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Firefox and Konqueor1 Votes - [2.22%]
1 Votes [2.22%]
Add your own option:

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2006-03-12 11:29 AM

Trust you? I thoughtI wrote the book on Windows Millennium being a filler OS... have you read it?

Still using MSIE 6 here

Of cos I read that! That's why they should trust me!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hehehehe, touchet
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie,
I was just thinking of unicode filenames etc. It's a mess if you try to use Chinese or Japanese characters with their own encoding in Win98, not to mention incompatible with CE and XP.

It amazes me that ActiveSync on XP still does not support unicode filenames. It shows all unicode characters as question marks, and Media Player has some problems transferring files with unicode names to a CE device thru ActiveSync, because it cannot properly read the unicode filenames in the list. I have to use memory card reader or use network file share to do it properly But then there are some restrictions for DRM stuff on memory cards... What a mess.

Otherwise, XP does unicode very well, almost everything supports it. Just wondered if Win ME is better in that respect compared to Win9x. I would simply use the old Pentium laptop for web browsing, so basically I will only need unicode when I copy Chinese text off a webpage for example. It's really not a big deal.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Off by One all the way- It's the smallest web browser around!!! You have to go with it to run XP on a p1 subnotebook :-)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2006-02-22 3:23 AM

cmonex: Probably will not make much of a difference, however, have you tried WIndows 98 Second Edition...

late in answering, but

it was already 98SE.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alphacrumb - 2006-02-28 9:03 PM

Hi tenjeangosi. Yes, the ads were awfully distracting--in fact, I ended up purchasing Opera back in 2001 so I could get rid of them.

Fortunately, I'm happy to report that Opera now has NO ADS. Opera became completely FREE sometime last year. And with Opera version 9 coming out this spring, the buzz is that it will be one killer browser.

If you're willing to try it out and compare it to Firefox, you might be surprised by how fast and complete Opera is right out of the package.

NOTE: I hope I don't sound like I'm slamming Firefox. Each to their own (we are HPC users, afterall). It's just that I--and I think other Opera users, too--have a sneaking suspicion that Firefox's popularity is more due to hype, since we've been enjoying the same 'revolutionary' features for the last six years.

ahhh i like this post

cant wait for version 9 (yes some things in 8.5 do need to have fixed)

never cared about the ads though!! started using opera in 2001 and i never even noticed the ads until someone told me they were there. not kidding!

BrianD - 2006-03-12 11:29 PM

Further, the possibility of customizing it with extensions really allows to adapt the browser to everyone's different necessities. At the top of my list of extensions is ScrapBook: a real must have! Second comes SessionSaver, which mimicks Opera's sessions saving feature.

It is a pity that Firefox 1.5 runs considerably slower than previous versions.

hrm... even slower than before? outrageous! i mean even the prev versions were too slow for me. i won't try 1.5 then thanks for saving me the trouble. even if this sessionsaver sounds cool.. if FF crashes, will it still retain everything? opera does. even if you don't ask it to do so! (you can select if you want to restart the session then or start with no page / blank page).

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-12 10:40 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 3:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

so I downloaded the latest Opera and am using it this few days, just to see how it fares to me compared to FF. So far its great! I like the option to enable/disable images with a single click of a button!

EDIT: start up is faster with Opera compared to FF.

Edited by Snappy! 2006-03-13 3:34 AM
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 8:35 AM
#
cmonex - 2006-03-12 10:36 PM
hrm... even slower than before? outrageous! i mean even the prev versions were too slow for me. i won't try 1.5 then thanks for saving me the trouble. even if this sessionsaver sounds cool.. if FF crashes, will it still retain everything? opera does. even if you don't ask it to do so! (you can select if you want to restart the session then or start with no page / blank page).

Yes, Session Saver does save the session even when FF crashes (and I must admit that FF crashes sometimes, above all on Mac OS X... ) )

But believe me, ScrapBook is even cooler: you can save web pages in it, create a folder structure, move pages across folders: in a few words, a virtual filesystem for saved web pages. And you can even annotate & highlight saved pages. A must have!
It allows me to keep a well-organized archive of web pages I need. I can also easily synchronize them across different machines and operating systems.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 12:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2006-03-13 8:33 AM

so I downloaded the latest Opera and am using it this few days, just to see how it fares to me compared to FF. So far its great! I like the option to enable/disable images with a single click of a button!

MSIE used to have a thing to do that, it was in IE 4... they dumped it on the favourites menu for some really odd reason
I don't need that so much as I would like to be able to kill off Flash and JavaScript one touch. Would give a suitable gesture to popup and malware advert scripters to prevent them from getting a look in. I've got so fed up with flash adverts that I have actually completely disabled Macromedia Flash from running. So far, I'm not surrering anything except for faster page loads.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2006-03-13 9:33 AM

ah, finally ...

BrianD - 2006-03-13 2:35 PM

Yes, Session Saver does save the session even when FF crashes (and I must admit that FF crashes sometimes, above all on Mac OS X... ) )

don't worry, all browsers crash sometimes FF isnt god itself.
scrapbook: nice idea, not for me though
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 12:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ok, so after a one day run with Opera ... I kinda decided to go back to FF, although I still have Opera installed. A few sites failed on Opera regardless of the user agent value I used. I'm really surprised! The few sites that failed on FF were IE specific sites.

FF starts up in 4~5secs while I have 11 tabs opened, 8 HPCFactor forum, 1 gmail, 1 yahoo news, 1 sleekgeek.com.

Let me retry that in Opera.

EDIT: ok, about 3~4 secs. Negligible diferences to me really. ah well ...

Edited by Snappy! 2006-03-14 12:54 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2006-03-14 6:49 AM

FF starts up in 4~5secs while I have 11 tabs opened, 8 HPCFactor forum, 1 gmail, 1 yahoo news, 1 sleekgeek.com.

FF starts up for me in 15 secs without any tabs....... opera? much faster..
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Pete P. - 2006-03-12 8:54 PM

Off by One all the way- It's the smallest web browser around!!! You have to go with it to run XP on a p1 subnotebook :-)
I installed OffByOne browser today and have tried it. It is very fast, and very basic. However I cannot log onto HPC factor with it.
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-19 10:46 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

I'm currently using IE 7 B2... Pretty happy with it although it is still clearly beta material....
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-20 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Wessex_nut - 2006-02-21 11:59 AM

Anyway, after having several problems with NS6 (I did use it, but it was crap!), I ditched it and got gatecrashed

When I had NS Comm4.79, I upgraded to NS6.? and I agree, it was crap. I uninstalled and reinstalled 4.79. I ran with that with no problems until I couldn't load certain pages. I installed 7.1, used the classic setting and love it.

My girlfriend prefers MSIE and is running 6SP1. She recently had problems (which we later determined to be wink.exe) with popups/adware and I recommended she switch to NS7.1 because it has a popup blocker. IE6SP1 doesn't, though 6.0.2900.2180 does. Reading this thread sounds like Opera may be the way to go. I may recommend that to her.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 17