x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

A Sigmarion III is on my list, and I've started a fund for it, but I have some spare dollars in the interim.

Looking at my collection I see I favor ARM/MIPS cpus. I find software easier to find for these platforms. I also prefer hpc2k for software choice and better overall speed but I own a couple of exceptions (781/800). I really like an 800 wide display but 640 is pretty good. Scrolling isn't as bad as it seems.

What I think is mandatory to me is 64k colors. I'm so used to it I don't think I could go backwards on this spec. I know that rules out a fair bit, like Pencentra 200s and some others.

Thanks to everyones help and suggestions last year I got an SL4 and once I iron out the bugs it will be perfect for the intended purpose, navigation.

So, what hpc2k/cenet device should I buy for fun? It has to be in the cost range of a 720/6651. I won't dip into my Sig III fund so things like the wibook are out.

What about a Maui? Were they ever made for the North American market? It strikes me as a neat secondary, maybe, primary phone. The more I read about it the more desirable it appears.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol, you really have alot of money to spend just to buy yet another hpc. i always choose them for a reason

hmm.. anyway.. the bsquare phh (hey, no one calls it maui) is very very cool. i do use it as my main phone (not much voice usage for me, luckily - it isn't the best at that).

but it won't work in canada if you don't have 900 or 1800 Mhz. (umm, did we already discuss that?) do you have that there?

hpc2k: a few japanese machines maybe. i don't see much else there... sig II maybe?

the cenet devices aren1t in your price range, the wibook and the bsquare are the only exceptions... edit: umm sorry the neta's / viewsonic's are ok too pricewise. they're tablet hpcs, and cenet 4.1 mostly, and either arm or x86... 250$ or so

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-08 5:50 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 6:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah heck, why need a reason? They're just so much fun and so interesting.

Ya, we talked about the phh, I think Canada is 850/1900mhz, perhaps someone can tell me different. But if the price is right who cares? It'll still make a neat addition to the fleet. You got a great deal didn't you? $140 or something?

I think my one tablet (sl4) is enough tablets. I find tablets great for display, not so good as input devices. And no matter the size, bulky and awkward to tote about. But that's me. I'm lost without a keyboard, even a thumboard. I find it hard going to use my casio for any serious input.

Well, that narrows down the field then. I guess a Sig II would be a good choice. The specs are great and it's usb capable, and the price is reasonable. I don't know about the interface though. Japanese may drive me around the bend, lol.

Anyone have a Sig II or phh to sell me reasonably
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well imeant i want a hpc because it has something i'm interested in and not just randomly searching from time to time. usually i find / see a hpc somewhere, and then realize i need it (not always! )

if canada is 850/1900, then the bsq wont operate as a phone i got mine for 150 EUR = US 180$, they all go for this price. cheap because no pocketpc OS and no wireless.

i'm like you with this keyboard issue ) i can use my only one keyboardless device, the PC ephone-II but certainly not for serious input. its touch screen is excellent, if it were anything less than excellent, i'd go crazy with it. hpc's often don't have that kind of good digitizer but no need for it either

sig II: you need to obtain the special cable for usb which is rare, i'll let you know if i receive mine. not sure if mine includes one or not
you're fairly familiar with hpc2000 so don't worry about japanese. menus all have shortcut letters written there for every option, and the letters are usually logical (open = O and so on, however properties = R) so it is much easier to handle a japanese hpc this way!

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-08 6:58 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah the Power Handheld sounds like your next toy.

The phone frequency is not compatible with ours. So you can treat it as a no frills PDA, which is still not bad at that price. The downside is that it only has one SDIO slot for expansion/memory. I wanted to get one too, but it seems there are still quite a few bidders hunting for these on eBay. Should I wait it out?

I remember saying bSquare can easily sell the PHH today if they update it with WM5 and some wireless built-in. Well, has anyone seen the Sharp W-Zero3?
http://www.sharp.co.jp/ws/
http://www.willcom-inc.com/ja/lineup/ws/003sh/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/13/sharp-w-zero3-mini-review/
Looks familiar eh? Ok maybe it's kinda like a mini PHH, but you can't deny the resemblence...

Then I got side-tracked by all the recent Nexio auctions. Almost won one in Hong Kong:
http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/1111457017
There are other Nexios there or on eBay once in a while, but they usually don't include the keyboard, which makes them half as useful

Speaking of which, in my PPC days, I have always used the on-screen keyboard. I can never get used to the handwritting thing. For some reason it just doesn't feel right.

About the Sig II - yes it's very cool. It looks like the closest competition to our beloved Jornada series. Only that it has a 200Mhz MIPS (which should be faster but less compatible), and Japanese OS.

cmonex,
Your Sig II still has not arrived? It seems to be so long ago when the auction ended. I wanted to ask you to do a comparison between that and the Jornada. And it seems the Sig I/II doesn't have that "issue" we talked about...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Forgot to add, another toy you might be interested to get - JVC MP-C33.

MIPS 180 MHz, HPC2000, 1024x600 7 inch screen (highest res HPC to my knowledge) USB host, PC Card, CF slot. It seems to be similarly sized to i6651.

However I think the OS is in German? And it's almost impossible to get the sellers to ship outside of Europe. Plus it seems to sell for a lot on ebay.de

Anyway, check it out:
http://www.jvc.de/pc/
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-08 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If I remember correctly they had those in Japan a few years (2002) ago but never got one.

S/F<
CEYA!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 12:26 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Aha! That JVC looks like the one! Very neat specs, lighter than a 6651, usb, it has everything I would want. Thanks for that tip.

Now I just need to find one for the right price and available to Canada
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-02-09 5:04 AM

About the Sig II - yes it's very cool. It looks like the closest competition to our beloved Jornada series. Only that it has a 200Mhz MIPS (which should be faster but less compatible), and Japanese OS.

cmonex,
Your Sig II still has not arrived? It seems to be so long ago when the auction ended. I wanted to ask you to do a comparison between that and the Jornada. And it seems the Sig I/II doesn't have that "issue" we talked about...

it did arrive, it is being held at customs and i did not have the time to go there yet even though i'm very impatient i can hardly wait for it!! i will definitely get it tomorrow! will have to pay 30$ VAT though oh well. i didn't have to pay for the intermec etc so i can live with that now.

i'll do the comparison as soon as i can.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2006-02-09 5:45 AM

Forgot to add, another toy you might be interested to get - JVC MP-C33.

MIPS 180 MHz, HPC2000, 1024x600 7 inch screen (highest res HPC to my knowledge) USB host, PC Card, CF slot. It seems to be similarly sized to i6651.

However I think the OS is in German? And it's almost impossible to get the sellers to ship outside of Europe. Plus it seems to sell for a lot on ebay.de

Anyway, check it out:
http://www.jvc.de/pc/

nice, i forgot about this one

probably they would ship to me if i ask nicely. i live very close and in the EU just like they i'll see what the prices are, i might want one hehehe. also i can help with shipping to canada, wally.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

got the sig II!!!!!!! i'll post pics soon.

also, it is amazing! i will definitely use it as one of my main hpc's

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-10 5:31 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.232 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9