x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Intermec 6651, Pros and Cons?

1 2
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 7:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm considering the 6651, but I'd like to hear from others on their experiences. I get the impression the screen is much improved over those found on say the jornadas. I could get care less about the camera, but like the extra screen real estate. On the negative side of things I've heard battery life is close to four hours only, which is troubling. The assortment of ports is a plus, but a 129 mips processor sounds slow. Any thoughts on the matter are welcomed. Thanks!
 Top of the page
unit21 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-10 8:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was actually about to start the same thread. Now I can just hang on to this one...

I currently own a Vadem Clio C-1050. It is being used at work every day, and it is truly an awesome piece of kit. For my work it is perfect.
However, I would like machine that is a bit different for "private" use.

This is how the Intermec 6651 came to mind...

First of all audio out connector with ok sound is a must. Then the size should be more compact then the Clio and the screen crisper...

I am wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this device.
What is sound like? Is it significantly slower than the Clio or the HP 720?
Is the USB only for syncing with a desktop, or can the Intermec act as host and accept USB Mass-Storage?
And lastly. does it have the plastic-feel of the NEC devices? It has a bit of a plastic look....

Any answers you guys might have are greatly appreciated!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 7:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think you'll hear the same story from anyone who has ever owned a 6651. They are great machines. I loved mine and if it hadn't been for the tiny keyboard that was too small for me, I might have kept it.

Don't be fooled by the processor speed. While it might have been 129mHz, the thoroughput was actually faster than other units I've owned with faster processor speeds. I would say it was on par with my MP 790 and J720.

Not being a super power user, the battery life worked out to be fine for me.

Rich
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 8:29 AM
#
unit21 - 2006-02-11 2:49 AM

Is the USB only for syncing with a desktop, or can the Intermec act as host and accept USB Mass-Storage?

It has a host USB port. So there is no synching over this port. You have to do it with a serial cable, IrDA or a networking card.

Andreas
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 9:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Camera (Use it with Portrait as a web cam)
Large Screen
TFT Screen
Reversable Screen so you can use it in tablet mode with the likes of CalliGrapher.
VGA out
Reasonably compact small footprint, fairly light too at around 850g
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 11:17 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The Intermec 6651 / Sharp Telios 7000.

Battery life is wonderful it can last just as long as my J720. 4-6 hrs.

Wifi is wonderful.

It can at like a host you need to down load the driver and need WinRaR to unzip.

It will read usb drives,usb floppy etc.

The screen is bright and readable, you can read 75% of most web pages and documents. Pictures are clear!!!

The sound is loud but using the mic to record and play back is terrible. voice is ok music sucks. download on compact flash card and let WMP do it and you don't need to plug into external speeakers it is that loud.

J720 wins over most HPC in this department . I use my J720 in class for recording it and listen to the teacher as I do my work.

Carmera= priceless decent pics and I have been around this world and was happy to use this and email my pics still and motion home. I am still looking at them and play well on Windows MP. The only negative is the asing around the amera will come apart .

One press of a button and the screen flips over and fold back the screen . If ac cord is plugged in remember to take it out before flipping or you will hear a large cracking sound.

I am looking to getting another one which will be my last and this one will stay home 60% of the time.

I have had 4 of them since Feb 2002 withe the Sharp Telios English then Japanese version and 3 Intermec 6651.

Battery is the only problem. I am in the process of taking mine apart.

I will attempt to attach pics from over the years. Pics are from Times Square NYC (the Good Morning America is shot looking through the glass window).
Tokyo Japan (Imperial Palace outer Garden) and a TV ( I like Rhinos -that is a rare white Rhino)

Oh some games play faster and better on the 6651/7000. my J720 still stays with me. 5 1/2 yrs..

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-02-11 11:47 AM

(ST00072.jpg)

(ST00078.jpg)

(ST00131.jpg)

(ST00016.jpg)

(ST00076.jpg)

(ST00078.jpg)

(ST00086.jpg)

(ST00097.jpg)

(ST00008.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ST00072.jpg (25KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments ST00078.jpg (20KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00131.jpg (19KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00016.jpg (22KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00076.jpg (13KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00078.jpg (12KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00086.jpg (13KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00097.jpg (13KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ST00008.jpg (13KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 12:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Why so many of the same unit?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok, my opinion now

i got the intermec after the J728 and the sigmarion III and the nec 900c. and it is really on par with them in some things or better! in other things it isn't.

regarding speed it is absolutely OK, screen refresh is quite fast, whats more it is consistently fast. the same cannot be said of the sig3. (sig3's screen refresh is also fast but not always.)
the only situation where sig3 wins with faster screen refresh is remote desktop.

IMO the camera is of a very bad quality. i dont have the patch with which i can take pics in vga resolution, and qvga honestly isnt too good (where's the patch?!). sorry but i'm used to my digital camera (thats no high quality stuff either, 3.2 MP, but it is good enough for me). still i want to try ms portrait with it HEHE.

the screen is really cool! very bright, i'm using it at the second lowest brightness and it is good enough. much brighter than sig3 for example... and of course TFT, i still get sometimes surprised that i see the exact same pics in IE4 as on my PC's tft monitor (and on the sig3 but somehow the intermec is a little better).

i love the tablet mode! only thing troubling me is lack of keyboard protection, i didnt get the original keyboard protection thingie, in search of one...

dont worry about battery life!! one of the most important things about a hpc for me is battery life. when i got the intermec it came with a battery that couldnt last more than 3-4 hrs with a lot of wifi (screen brightness 2-3). and always dropped to 7% from 23% suddenly... BUT then i acquired three other intermecs (sold two ), and their batteries were much better than mine. i kept the batt that seemed to be in the best condition out of all three hehe, it lasts 5 hours with *continuous* wlan, so it should be at least 8 without. (? i dont know, i use wifi too often) thats the same as a jornada 720 std 1500 mAh battery! so i'm content with battery life finally. if your battery isnt as good as this, have the cells replaced with 2400's and you'll be amazed (7 hours of wifi at least, i'm sure). i'll do that sometime later to the first battery. (it is 1800 mAh originally.)

the only thing letting the 6651 down is its OS and even more so, its CPU. while the cpu is fast enough (not kidding, this is amazing for a 129 Mhz processor!!! i agree it is on par with j72x speed wise), but the cpu type *is* limiting for someone like me who had always been an ARM only user (strongarm, xscale). i had to ditch some nice ARM only programs and find MIPS alternatives... but it is OK after a night's searching for apps lol. i still cannot run a few apps i'd like to have (hungarian map software) but i can live with that. they are just nice to have stuff. every important stuff is available for mips.
hpc2000 is good, and will remain good for a couple more years, but i forgot what the system stability & IE4 were like (i didnt use my j728 for a while for some reasons - repairing it etc etc), ive been spoiled by IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 and stability of cenet. still i'm OK with IE4 but of course sometimes need to use NF3.0. and dont mind the few resets, i never lost data with them.
all in all i hope this didnt sound too bad. if someone was never a cenet & ARM user the intermec should be perfect. it is still perfect for me as i did get every *really* important apps to run on it. so i dont mind it so much.

all in all the hardware is unbeatable though not jornada sized (my preference) but i still get alot of use out of it. software wise it is ok too. but i feel it is a little let down by the mips.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 12:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

unit21 - 2006-02-11 2:49 AM

And lastly. does it have the plastic-feel of the NEC devices? It has a bit of a plastic look....

hmm, well, no, i have a nec 770&790 (ok, 789 ) here and the intermec is of better build quality
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-02-11 3:24 PM

Camera (Use it with Portrait as a web cam)
Large Screen
TFT Screen
Reversable Screen so you can use it in tablet mode with the likes of CalliGrapher.
VGA out
Reasonably compact small footprint, fairly light too at around 850g

hmm, where can the vga cable be bought?

mmm it is larger than a hvga nec of course it is much smaller than the svga mobilepro's or many other vga / svga hpc's. and this is amazing. !!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 1:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You do know that we have a double post rule on this board, right?
It's no wonder your post count goes up 100 a day

The propaganda states that the battery will go for 10 hours when new.

You could always make your own VGA:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1558&posts=7
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

VGA cable is hard to get even in Japan , I will continue to look for one.

Why so many . First one at home the other with me.

I carry the computer with at all times. Really, I carry my handheld all the time.

This is the reason why I have alot of them.

S/F<
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 2:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nice overview cmonex! I just made an offer for one so we'll see what happens. I mostly intend to use this for surfing, and Textmaker, the others can reside on my 720. Thanks again!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Maul - 2006-02-11 8:22 PM

Nice overview cmonex! I just made an offer for one so we'll see what happens. I mostly intend to use this for surfing, and Textmaker, the others can reside on my 720. Thanks again!

glad if i could be of some little help.

surfing is good on it, especially because of the nice screen. IE4 is OK if you use NF3 too.
(i didn't really try textmaker on it.. but it ran OK)
 Top of the page
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 4:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

<p>1) (Re: Intermec 6651), Ceya said: 'Battery is the only problem. I am in the process of taking mine apart'. </p><p>Gosh I'd love to do this (I have three 6651's - the battery is 100% dead on one & down to less than one hour on one of the others). But how? The casing looks impregnable ... any guidance appreciated.</p><p>2) Returning to the core thread - for me the big pluses have been the super screen (excellent & far superior to the NEC-MPs & HP's for W.Processing, Spreadsheeting, viewing webpages) & the stereo audio. Speed is okay, on par with the MP for Excel etc - but webpage refreshes are far faster.   The keyboard is just about okay for reasonably fast two-handed typing but not quite as 'comfortable' for this as the MPs. Also, till my batteries eventually 'went' I'd have cited 'excellent battery life' as a plus - was getting several hours in continuous use. On the downside, most of the bundled (in ROM) Sharp applications are limited and in some cases flakey. And I find Pocket Word is more prone to crashing than is the case with the MPs. And of course the larger size is less coat-pocketable than the MP or HP units - but that's the trade off for the better screen (but not better keyboard!). </p><p>Nowadays I use my MP790 as my 'take everywhere notetaker' because of the better keyboard & (nowadays) better battery. I mainly use the 6651 as a companion to my desktop, enabling seeing incoming emails etc - without leaving the desktop.</p>
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13