x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Intermec 6651, Pros and Cons?

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 8:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-02-11 9:47 AM

i love the tablet mode! only thing troubling me is lack of keyboard protection, i didnt get the original keyboard protection thingie, in search of one...

There's one right now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Protection-for-Intermec-6651-SHARP-HC-700_W0QQitemZ5865197837QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 8:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm thats not the original
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-02-11 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

yep not original.

I understand what you mean by hard to open the casing.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 2:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Shows you how much I know. Well, there is a 6651 on eBay right now with two keyboard protectors included, and from the pics, it looks like they're the originals. (Just missed winning a different 6651 on eBay earlier today - got outbid while in flight back home from San Francisco. Geez, any way we can eventually get WiFi in flight? )
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2006-02-12 11:49 PM
Geez, any way we can eventually get WiFi in flight?

I think there's interference issues? Anyway I would rather have ethernet coming out of the armrests. But I guess we'd have to keep dreaming.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 4:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe Ethernet is doable. I'm well aware of the interference issues with WiFi, but I guess I'm hoping against hope that at some point WiFi and aircraft navigation transmissions could be assigned to different frequency ranges.
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Once you installed those drivers for USB storage (usbmsc.dll... etc)
You could directly connect some types of digital camera (like Fuji FinePix 50i) via USB
6651's 7" LCD is perfect for managing the pictures from your DC
Can't live without it when traveling
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'd better add my 2 cents as I'm always touting the 6651 as a great machine.

I firmly agree with all the positive points others have raised. It's an amazing little package. I personally find the MP units "cheesy", they flex too easily for my liking. Having said that, nothing on my MPs has broken yet so perhaps their "flimsiness" is my perception.

Both my 6651s take 3x longer to sync over wifi than my MP/720s. It is likely something I did, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

There is no way to describe the screen. Nothing else non-Sharp comes close. (Thanks Monica for the honest assessment of the S3 screen)

Having USB hosting is amazing. I'm constantly using it and I *really* miss that feature on my other rigs.

I decided to keep my 6651s as "indoor" machines (they go on overnight trips but they're not used as daily travelling knockabouts) because I value them so much. That, and they serve a special purpose in the summer. (no, it's not covert chic pics at the beach ) so I really baby them.

My only wish? If they would run ARM programs they would be perfect. Supreme. Nirvana.

Who knows? Maybe someone will create an ARM HAL for MIPS cpus.

Finally, it's love or hate IMO with a 665. You'll feel one way or the other, no in-between.

edit: The 6651 was my first hpc and is still my favorite of the bunch. The only possible hpc that might take the crown as my favorite is a S3.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-21 11:39 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27