x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC Mobilepro 789 and tcpmp .71

Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 1:31 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Anyone else tried this version of tcpmp? I just recently upgraded my 780 to a 790 with a rom chip upgrade off of eBay (fyi - if you're thinking of doing this - DO IT! Like a new handheld really!), and decided to go crazy and try video. I converted an episode of Lost using PocketDivXEncoder 0.3.60 and tried a few different settings. First off, I am totally amazed that the thing can do video at all - I know what a technical feat that is! However, with a lot of motion it really isn't very watchable. My question is - would the older version .66 be any better? I know I have to use GDI mode which is not the best. Also are there any key settings in the conversion software I might change to enhance playback?

One more question - is there a car adapter for powering the MP780? If not, is it possible to make one without hosing it up?

Thanks!

FYI - been lurking here on and off for a while, now have my MP789 out of mothballs and am really starting to put it through it's paces.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 7:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We usually recommend that you convert using DVDCatalysy/PocketDVD - basically because the H/PC is directly supported by the converter program, and you can perform optimisations from the application.

Essentially though, you are looking at running sub 8fps, 240px high and a data rate of 160Kbps or lower - the settings for the Jornada 720.

If you bench mark your video file, you are looing to get the main percentage as close to or over 100%. Anything under 100% and the CPU isn't coping.

For the MIPS processor 0.66f or higher is required. As f was a test version not a formal release, you are better sticking with the latest and greatest.
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 12:39 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks! I'll take a look at those other programs and see what can be done. Interesting sidebar - the first video conversion I did was approx 80 meg in size, and I sync'd it via the serial cable. Took around 12 hours to do it!! Needless to say, I bought a memory card reader now and the second one I did took literally 15 seconds! Gotta love usb 2.0.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cyberstorm - 2006-02-12 5:39 PM

...I sync'd it via the serial cable. Took around 12 hours to do it!!
Patience of a Saint - or perhaps more along the lines of Madness of a hatter.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 6:23 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Or just a standard nerd with 300 baud modem experience...
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 7:13 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

300 baud indeed! Had one of those bad boys for the C64! Funny watching text come across your screen and you can actually read it faster than it is showing up. The really funny thing was getting the phone bill the next month for the long distance BBS I was dialing up too - cripes!!! Had to work a month of Sunday's to pay that bill off!

Needless to say, the modem didn't get much use after that. Small town livin' gotta love it right?

On a side note: I got my Enterasys wireless card working again and surfed HPCFactor from Burger King this morning. Amazing what technology can do in a few years time. And the cost of that surfing was ZIP!
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 11:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I like using WODEON for my H/PC's. I seem to get much better playback without all the "fiddling" with settings etc.
I crunch 8gig dvd's down to about 480 meg MPEG1 files. Another cool thing is that WODEON is processor specific, not platform specific. That means it works on darn near all the CE platforms.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I recommend AC inverters. One inverter accomodates your whole hpc fleet.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 11:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

On the 300 baud, I have a T1/ cable hybrid broadband at my Texas home and office. At my home in Kentucky I have dial-up, sloooooooooow dial-up. A good session is 24k, average is 19k. NO HIGH SPEED-NO CABLE, and none for the for the next 5+ years either.

Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 11:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wow, AC inverter - so obvious now that you say that!!! Thanks for the tip! (smacks forehead with hand!)

Wodeon eh? I'll hit Google and see what I find.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 1:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

My experience with Wodeon is that it doesn't seem to handle as much data load as TCPMP, so video flow in Wodeon tends to get interrupted more often (even at smallest size and with large buffer) than with the same video in TCPMP. At the moment, I'm using version .66e, with the GDI video driver, in my 790, and though not perfect, the quality is pretty good. (I've downloaded .71, but haven't installed it yet. Will have more comments once I do.)

Re: AC inverter
I second wally on this. I actually did a restore while driving a couple of days ago, with my notebook computer (ActiveSync server) running on battery power, and the H/PC plugged into the inverter. (Before all the smart-alecks out there start making jokes, I initiated the restore before I began driving.) While I was looking at the road, my gadgets were at work.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 10:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I love wodeon. It's simplicity in 70K, and works on anything. Mimoxa's great too.
The problem with it is converting downto MPEG1. It's not as simple as doing it to DivX or XVid. Of course if you have ripping programs to MPEG1 then I imaging it's darn easy

Alas I do, only video file > MPEG1.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 8:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I finally installed version .71 today. Looks pretty good, but the jury is still out on how much better it is than .66e, since that version was pretty good too.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10