x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Infocom text adventures (Zork anyone?!)

Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 12:57 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ran across the program ZipCE that allows you to run the old Infocom text adventures such as;

Planetfall
Stationfall
Zork
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
etc.

Fantastic little program (absolutely free too!), and works perfectly on HPCs. The site to get it is here;

http://www.geocities.com/zipceppc/

Sorry if this is old news to most of you, but I only found one minor reference to this when I did a forum search for it - so hopefully someone will get a kick out of this! I had played the game Planetfall all the way through on my old Commodore 64 (yea I'm old!) way back when and had started Stationfall, but never finished it. Well, now Stationfall is loaded up and I've made it to the main station with Floyd at my side.

The above mentioned site only has the emulator - you still need to acquire the data files to play the games. They are still available commercially so best to get them that way. I believe, however, that the Zork ones were released freely to help generate "interest" in text adventures, so you can find those available for download via Google searches.

Please let me know if I should be posting something like this in another forum - was going to place it in "off topic" but that didn't really seem to fit.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 4:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm hoping to port Return to Zork to the H/PC, but that version is GUI-based rather than text-based. I've been hoping to see pDOSBox ported to H/PC (see the poll thread on this); I don't know if I can get it to work on my HP 200LX. I'm not even sure how to install it, since it runs off the CD in desktop Windows.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9