x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Forum speed

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Cheers! *hic*
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

my opinion is simple, if the person asks just basic questions i'll tell them to go to the support section
if the q is not so absolutely basic but was already discussed at least 10 times or i cannot remember the exact answer by heart, i'll tell them to search better for me than searching in the exact same way to give the answer. if i remember the answer i won't keep it secret.
personally i don't get annoyed with the same questions, just don't have the energy to write and again write the same. but if sometimes i have the energy i'll answer directly. the problem is this spare energy dissolves over time.
in any case... i can perfectly understand if someone's a newbie (i really sympathize with them - also want to make the hpc more popular hehehe ) and i think suggesting the support section helps much more than just giving the answer in two lines.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-02-13 4:42 AM

I only hope the first timers visiting here aren't blaming their hpcs for the lag.

wow, did you know the first time i visited hpcfactor i was using my J720...? yes, i did ... over a 56k phone line because i didnt know my lan card was compatible (until someone made me realize it was worth a try )

I have a different take on forums in general.
About 2 years ago I flushed all my favorites folders of special interest forums. I got tired of all the ---"RTFM"-- "DO A SEARCH IDIOT"-- "THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE"-- blah,blah, blah replies.

When someone spends hours trying to figure out some problem that several of us have already been thru, does it really hurt to just say," it's easy, just do this, do that, push this etc."?

I come to a forum to discuss my interests, don't you? Fresh discussion leads to fresh thoughts on a subject. Researching archived info, be it electronic or be it book, only covers a subject up to a certain point in time. Fresh discussion often can spark new thoughts on different solutions to problems. If a person gives the ," RTFM" reply, does that person then have any more PRODUCTIVE input to a suject?

i very much like your attitude! for example, i visit a hungarian pda forum frequently and this really applies there, because they're really saying RTFM too often even though it is no problem imo if someone tells the noob to check out the support section or search (if the answer is easy to find)... what matters is the way they say it ...

but yes can hurt to say do this and do that if the answer already is in the support section no plain living thing owns the Infinite Energy i certainly don't

oh also if someone is too irritated by the newbies and can answer only with a very rude RTFM, they shouldn't read the newbie's questions it is that easy
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 2:16 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I either help as much as I can, or I don't reply at all. It's understandable that sometimes you simply do not have the energy to answer the same question the 34th time. Even people who are paid to support users can feel the frustration. So it's no surprise that voluntary community support can be hard to maintain. However, I would suggest if you don't feel up to it, don't do it. With so many of us visiting all the time, I am sure not every one of us is tired at the same time. If a certain thread seems too repetitive or bothersome to respond to, let someone else deal with it. It is often better to leave a question unanswered (usually only temporarily) than to give a negative respond.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8