x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Problems with nPOP (v1.01)

1 2
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 10:13 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Does anyone have problems sending mail using nPOP and a network? I can't send email using SMTP AUTH on my wireless network but can receive mail perfectly.

Does CE 2.0 with SP1, NSP or the Lucent/Orinoco card w/Lucent drivers have any problems with SMTP AUTH?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-13 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Have you tried sending smtp-authenticated mail via another internet connection?

I run nPOP on my Velo 1, CE. 2.0 upgrade, and I can send both AOL and Earthlink authenticated mail through both a PC connection and a GPRS connection with my Nokia 6100.

Using nPOP, I can also send the same authenticated mail wirelessly on my Jornada 720, though obviously that's a different OS.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snake - 2006-02-14 4:13 AM

Does anyone have problems sending mail using nPOP and a network? I can't send email using SMTP AUTH on my wireless network but can receive mail perfectly.

Does CE 2.0 with SP1, NSP or the Lucent/Orinoco card w/Lucent drivers have any problems with SMTP AUTH?

i, like you, couldnt send mail with smtp auth (or even normal smtp) with npop. until someone else showed me what i did wrong
in the smtp settings, there're three lines:
name
address
smtp server

the name can be anything... (well, this is the name you send out with the email!) i did the address wrong.. i put the server address there, not the email address.

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-14 9:36 AM
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:29 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thank you for the suggestions guys!

I did have my reply email address in the Address field. nPOP does say it authorizes but then it freezes on "SEND BODY". This shows both on the screen and in my logs:

(end)
gethostbyname...
connect...
220 smtp.MYISP.com ESMTP
EHLO MYISP.net
250-smtp.MYISP.com
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XYMCOOKIE
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN *user*
Send password
235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)
RSET
250 flushed
MAIL FROM:<ME@...>
250 ok
RCPT TO:<ANYONE@...>
250 ok
DATA
354 go ahead
send body...

and that's as far as it gets. The server disconnects after timing out. From there I must warm restart the unit as the TCP stack does not seem to transmit any packets, any it seems that if I reboot in impatience to get out before the time-out the network stack gets corrupted (which is just one of reasons that I have had to restore at least 4 times...)

This is not caused by the SP1 as I tested it - I hard reset the unit and only installed the NSP and the Orinoco drivers. nPOP is on a CF card and therefore I did no other installs for the test.

Cmonex, are you using a network card or via modem (PPP)? I am going to try modem but first I must get a dialup from my DSL ISP.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 6:28 AM
#
I have been having this exact problem also. I'm 100% certain I have filled in the relevant fields correctly and I can receive emails just fine, but sending email always gets stuck at "sending body" until the server times out and disconnects.

I also am using nPOP V1.01 through my LAN

So far nothing I have done has gotten around this. Slightly frustrating.

Any further input as to how to get around this would be much appreciated.

Edited by Britty 2006-03-11 6:29 AM
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 12:50 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

As I have spoken to the nPOP Yahoo support group it is believed that the problem is we need SSL support for mail over IP networks.

I am currently using nPOP 1.06, and while it has an SSL option it does not work as no CE2.0 DLL has been created for the support. nPOP works perfectly when using a dialup PPP connection - it transmits the mail perfectly and receives perfectly as well.

I have asked the support group (and therefore, the software's author) to possibly compile a CE2.0 version of his SSL DLL. In the meantime our only option for STMP AUTH networks is to use a dialup PPP access route and send via that method. nPOP right now simply does not support SSL over a IP network for us 2.0 users.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 6:54 PM
#
Yes, you are correct. I haven't managed to get SSL to work with CE2.0 on nPOP at all. Only option with LAN is not to use it. It recieves emails just fine, but sending is another matter.....
It feels like crippleware at the moment being forced to use dialup function just to send email.

I'm happy you got an answer out of the Yahoo support group Snake as to what the problem is.

It would be awesome if there is going to be a release fixed version for CE2.0, because surely we cannot be the only 2 who have come across this issue? Actually I am a tad surprised that this issue has carried right through from the first release all the way up to the 6th revision.

Did you get an answer from the support group if they are willing to do this compile? Is it possible to give me the url or email of whomever you contacted? I'd be willing to put forward a request also. Maybe they might concur if they see more than one person asking for this. I'd really love to have a fully working version of nPOP. *crossing fingers*
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it is hard to believe you'd need SSL for sending mail over a lan/wlan connection... but i don't know much of these

anyway, i'll try it with my CE2 devices... and report success or failure

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-13 7:21 PM
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-13 9:20 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Britty - 2006-03-13 6:54 PM
Did you get an answer from the support group if they are willing to do this compile? Is it possible to give me the url or email of whomever you contacted? I'd be willing to put forward a request also. Maybe they might concur if they see more than one person asking for this. I'd really love to have a fully working version of nPOP. *crossing fingers*

No official word. The software author is Japanese with extremely little English literacy. I've asked, the English-speaking admin of the support group kindly answered noting that the author does indeed (try) to read the forum - we'll just have to see what happens.

I believe it certainly couldn't hurt to put your own request in!! Maybe you're right - more than 1 request might be worth the author's time to solve.

That is assuming, of course, that SSL support via a DLL compile can be added to CE2.0 at all...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
FWIW, on my Sharp Mobilon 4100 (CE 2.0 MIPS) with an Orinoco Classic Gold and LinkSys router, I can send earthlink mail (smtp-authenticated) wirelessly without problem. Dunno about SSL, since EL doesn't require that. Yet.

Jake
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 8:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Yeah, in that manner I miss Earthlink. I "inherited" them from my Mindspring days - Mindspring was great, Earthlink was a group of morons (somehow) running a very large network that worked great...except when it didn't. Then you could not find a single tech that had a clue.

I miss Earthlink's broad coverage and very good email systems (as you note! ). I have my current ISP for DSL availability (Earthlink couldn't provide it for a long time, then not competitively) but they are far, far too restrictive on email issues. Blah. You're shafted if you do, you're shafted if you don't.
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-03-16 12:08 AM
#
I believe it certainly couldn't hurt to put your own request in!! Maybe you're right - more than 1 request might be worth the author's time to solve.

I joined the user group and posted a request for help also.

Seems posts need to be authorised by the group owner before they become visible to read to the rest of the user group though. So I'm waiting....

And cmonex did you try this yet? Interested to see if you had success at all.

Edited by Britty 2006-03-16 12:22 AM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Any of you try 1.0.7 and see if SSL works for CE2?
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 11:19 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

1.0.7 does not come in CE2.0 guise, only 1.0.6
 Top of the page
Britty
Britty Page Icon Posted 2006-04-19 4:00 AM
#
Well the members at the nPOP community wern't much help above the obvious suggestions of did you enter details correctly etc etc. Until they recognise there is a bug in the software I think we are SOL with a CE2.0 compatible version of nPOP ever being able to reliably send email via LAN.

Which leads me to the next obvious question, are there any viable email clients for CE2.0 which both send and receive emails reliably with SMTP and POP protocols through a LAN??

I didn't think a working email client would be this hard to find....

Edited by Britty 2006-04-19 4:02 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 27