x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The HPC Joystick Project

1 2
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok, I've been very inspired lately on projects for my HPC device and I'm not the kind of guy that sits waiting someone to do the job for him. So here I go again.
After the release of a non-beta version of OKey (this week? next week?) I plan to work on more hpc software but this time for more advanced uses like programming. Together with my next software development I would like to work on a hardware project that lately came to my mind: a Joystick.
Of course I'm not talking about a 98 button joystick with force feedback lights analog sticks a virtual reality headset and integrated movement sensors, I'm talking about a SNES-like joystick. In fact I'll either make a SNES-to-HPC adapter or a small schematic that can fit inside a SNES-like "case" . I'll develop a sort of driver for the joystick (I say "sort of" because If I can't develop a driver I'll develop at least a systray driver-like app) that should Work (if everything goes as I plan) on SH3, MIPS and ARM devices with WinCE 2.0 or something like that (I need to check the requirements of the APIs needed).

Well.... what'd you say? Is it a good Idea?
Am I losing my time?
Would someone use a joystick with his/her HPC?
Does milk lessen the negative coffee effects?

Again lot of questions, no answer...
I would love to hear your answers
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 8:26 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yes, it is a good idea.

Yes, you are losing much, much time.

I might use the joystick.

Milk? Well, nothing bad about it.

Why not just make this "driver" map the joystick driver to keyboard keys? Then it would work in all our games. You could even integrate it into OKey. (Oh no, it might be 1kb more... )
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, obviously the driver will let you map the joystick buttons to keyboard keys...
BTW, I still need to recover myself from the latest 23Kb winwatch version that's more than I expected.. (no, I didn't make it on purpose to match the version number [2.3])
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 9:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I say so long as you can do it without adding a proriatory API for the game / interface manufacturers to impliment (i.e. pick it up, plug it in and use it on any app) you have a winner. Especially if you can get it to work in a cursor mode and expand it beyond the games setup.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 10:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

don't worry, as far as I've tested I'll only need windows CE API that according to microsoft's documentation are present in "Windows CE OS 1.0 and later".. That's for a basic driver (daemon-style driver and no cursor)... for a proper input driver (I don't even know if it's possible to register some kind of input device) and/or cursor I'll need to do further research on the APIs I'll need... and that of course mean that it may require most "modern" OS versions.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 10:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The diffidulty with a cursor and input system is that not all devices come with the core necesities.

Fairly big project to write your own - espeiclaly to have to consider not upsetting systems which already have the core bits.

Keep us informed, it's an intersting project!
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 11:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think I'll stick with the "daemon" approach (that is, a "driver" that needs to be loaded on the systray for the device to work) because the info I've been reading states that driver is VERY hardware and OS-dependant, so if I plan to support older devices I would need to write special versions and probably some older devices won't have a "device driver layer" so I'll end up making a systray-loadable driver anyway.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, C:Amie, I think this is a standard project for him.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:43 PM
#
Joystick? That might be pretty cool for Star Defenders when I finish it. Would it plug in to the Serial port or USB...? Also, are you talking about an analog joystick or a digital gamepad? (or both?)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 11:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-02-16 7:43 PM

Joystick? That might be pretty cool for Star Defenders when I finish it. Would it plug in to the Serial port or USB...? Also, are you talking about an analog joystick or a digital gamepad? (or both?)

Serial Port? USB? That means CE 2.11 or later
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Serial? I do not see any more reasonable way.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

While we're on the subject...

Gravis Stinger serial gamepad driver for PPC by legendary Larry Bank:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=f0b89bd7fda18b9773f6c2f3992e5e3b&threadid=26864

USB gamepad driver for PPC by Bagoj:
http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2719
(Note, it was written for the Fujitsu Pocket Loox 720, which has USB host. It has nothing to do with Jornada 720)

Bluetooth gamepad with PPC2003 driver:
http://www.smartgamepad.com/

I know they are all for PPC, but I feel they're worth noting.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 8:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It'll be serial.
And you can't compare comercial joystick to the look and feel of an original SNES pad!!
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

What about IR?

Not sure about this, but I believe most HPC's have an IR port (which acts as a serial port). Since you have to make an adapter of some sorts anyway to make it fit, I would go for infrared. you might even be able to use a driver for an IR keyboard for mapping buttons to keys. (which would make it compatible with any game availiable)

Also, if you look in the overstock bins at a local computer shop, you can usually pickup a cheap IR wireless joystick to get started.

I would use a joystick for use with my HPC, but would rather have it to be able to take over the mouse movement for games like doom and quake.

Edited by PocketDVD 2006-02-17 10:21 AM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

IR wouldn't be practical. And the joystick will need external power. I don't know if I can simulate mouse movements but I'll try.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10