x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The HPC Joystick Project

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 3:14 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

What about an NES gamepad?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 9:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Trouble with IR is that they put the ports randomly around the periphery of the device... and they're always facing the wrong way. You'd need a repeater to redirect the IR.

You want to base the driver on a basic, cheap gamepad.

What are the possiblities of a axis / button detection system? Is it at all feasable for the user to plug in a stick, run a wizard and have the daeomon listen for signals, kind of like the stylus calibration, but mapping buttons.
That way you're maximising the hardware audience.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

An awesome idea...is there some kind of flight simulator game that will work on a hpc? I can just see it now...joystick hooked up to my j720...lost in my own little world of airports and sky as the Chinese countryside whizzes by out the train window.....
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 11:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, I've heard that Leo's Flight simulator works flawlessly on the Jornada 720.
About a NES pad I think it has too few buttons.
What I'll do is design a joystick circuit that will fit inside the SNES gamepad case. You can of course fit the circuit inside any joystick.
A DB15-to-Jornada adapter would eat too much current as it must feed the adapter circuit and the joystick itself.
making a [console joystick]-to-Jornada would be the same and even worse (where will you get a SNES (console side) connector?)
So I really think that the best way is to design my own joystick circuit connected to the serial port of the Jornada.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Would you be selling the modified joysticks, or just posting the building instructions here?

Yes, serial is best. It could be modified to fit serial ports in other handhelds.

Lol, I was about to mention that the IR signal would need to be redirected, but C:Amie took care of that. It's like those generic irda keyboards for ppc and palms, they have an ir port on the bottom for handhelds with a port there, and an extendable stick that goes to the top of those handhelds with an ir port there. (Mainly palm os devices)
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-18 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'll post the building instructions..
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

With a joystick, wouldn't it just be giving x and y coordinates? (for the simulation of mouse movement) Yeah, CE doesn't work with a mouse like that by default, but there are applications that have allowed a white point on the screen to be moved with several keys on the keyboard, and act like a mouse. I forgot what it was called, but I think that mouse was in the name.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-02-19 4:11 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

You'd need a repeater to redirect the IR

That doesn't need to be fancy... Just a piece of optical cable works wonders: I use that to use an IR keyboard on my Zaurus...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.169 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9