x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 4.2 IRC options (particularly Netbook Pro)

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does anyone have any suggestions for IRC clients that will run on a Netbook Pro (CE .Net 4.2)? I am not having any luck with the usual suspects (IRC CE and Splatter). I have been trying a few JAVA clients but most of them are very simple and geared towards embedding chat support in a webpage.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 4:09 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ircce works just as on the j720, what problems are you having with it?
splatter probably wont work.
java: the ibm irc client is not basic, its very good and a real app, not just an applet. downloadable from handheld attitude.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 4:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have not been able to get any of the 3 versions of irc ce downloaded from movsoftware to work on the Netbook Pro. Double clicking on the executable produces the usual error message ('IrcCE' not a valid yada yada). Executability Check gives something about not matching CPU type and that a bunch of "" can't be loaded. "" or its linked file can't be found. There are a couple of these blank "" ones and then some with a bunch of gibberish characters enclosed in the "" with the same message.

I tried the Java IRC client. From the screenshots it looks really full featured and I guess it supports DCC and a bunch of other nice features. I am not sure what I should be typing to get it to run, though. The Netbook Pro includes the Jeode EVM from Insignia. I can launch a EVM console, but I am not sure what to type to get the IRC client to launch. You can download the IBM 1.4 client from http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?p=244209 although you need to be a registered user. I sure wish I spoke Spanish...

There is supposedly a 1.57 version client, but I have been unable to find a download site. IBM stopped supporting it years ago and pulled all the download links from their page.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you could provide me with the exact error message i would be able to help sort them out. im interested in the latest hpc2000 arm version.

as for the ibm client, the 1.57 is an applet version, forget it, 1.40 is what you need. no need for spanish, handheld attitude has the client or i can sendit to you
does sun pjava run on your netbook pro? its free and i know the command for it to run the ibm irc. i know the jeode command too but have to find it in my docs
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 6:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman,

I imagine that the splatter problems are down to the htmlview issues with CE4, or is this some other issue you are expereiencing?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 7:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

http://izemize.fw.hu/irc140.zip

i wrote the readme for it a very long time ago and it concentrates on HVGA devices, the ticker bug i mentioned in it should not affect the SVGA netbook pro

you can edit the ini file as you wish! default res is 640x230 in it now, but you can edit that too.

the command maybe a little overcomplicated but works with sun personal java

i believe jeode (at least the version i installed) can't use a "working dir" that is different from the root, so you need to put irc in the root. not nice after that i can't rememebr the exact command now but it isn't as complicated as with pjava. just type something like

"you put the jeode evm path here" -classpath "\IRC\irc.jar" app.IRC
(or wherever you put the irc client)
if this doesnt work let me know.

oh and if you want a shortcut drop the whole command in a txt and name it something.lnk

also... still interested in the ircce errors, please copy them here. it works fine on all my cenet stuff so i'm very surprised that it doesn't run on the netbook pro & curious to find out why.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I will try to get the IBM Java IRC client working tonight. In the meantime, I found that PocketIRC (www.pocketirc.com) works reasonably well on my Netbook Pro. If you want to try it out, I recommend reading the help file, as the interface is a bit "different" so that common tasks can be carried out more quickly on PPC devices.

Here is the output from Executability Check for IRC CE from Mov Software:

"\SD-MMC Card\Internet\ircce\IrcCE.exe" doesn't match CPU type
"" can't be loaded. "" or its linked file can't be found.
" a" can't be loaded. " a" or its linked file can't be found.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 5:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I should also add that the Slashnet JAVA IRC client embedded in the page at http://www.slashnet.org/java.php seems to work, although the buttons don't seem to properly respond to screen taps. I was able to connect to channels by entering the console commands to do so. This client is based on the Eteria IRC Client available from Sourceforge(http://eirc.sourceforge.net/).

Strangely, while Eteria runs and has the same button press issues as the Slashnet version of the client, I am unable to get it to connect to servers at all. I get "could not resolve server address" issues, even when entering in the server by IP address.

I hope this information is helpful to someone. I spent all last night monkeying around with every IRC client I could find.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 6:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry to hear you've spent this much time on it. just like me a long time ago before finding the right clients!

ibm irc is really great, i loved it (but i use ircce now as the java requirement thing is clearly a disadvantage)

pocketirc does work even on the j720 but i don't like it

ircce... hrm, very strange errors! it didn't tell you the filenames? can you try this one: http://izemize.fw.hu/IrcCE.exe (just run it on the pro!)

if that doesn't help, could you load Peinfo on the nb pro (downloadable from my site) and analyse the ircce executable? i'm interested in the main information, at the beginning of it peinfo will give you the CPU type in hexadecimals and if possible the name of the CPU.
thanks if you do this... very very interestign case!

edit: just a little idea, what happens if you run ircce (especially the one i linked here) from RAM? not from the SD (i see you're using the SD)
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 11:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Your version of IrcCE works (from SD) and is very different in size from the three that I have downloaded from the movsoftware.com website. The .exes I have downloaded from there are more like 200 KB vs ~60 for this one. It sure sounds like the newer versions are kinda borked. The one on your site is version 1.03.02b. Does anyone know the version information for the ones on the movsoftware.com website?
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I downloaded the HPC Pro version of IRC CE from the mov software site and strangely that worked, but none of the other ones did (HPC 2000, PPC, PPC 2003, etc.). The HPC Pro version on their site is version 1.03.01, which is older than the one downloaded from your site!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

my version should be the latest... what is the latest then? btw this is the hpc2000 version.

can you send me once the other versions, as it is really strange.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 4:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2006-02-16 7:46 AM

i believe jeode (at least the version i installed) can't use a "working dir" that is different from the root, so you need to put irc in the root. not nice after that i can't rememebr the exact command now but it isn't as complicated as with pjava. just type something like

"you put the jeode evm path here" -classpath "\IRC\irc.jar" app.IRC
(or wherever you put the irc client)
if this doesnt work let me know.

I tested the IBM java with the Jeode JVM and you were right on the money. I have not been able to find any what to specify a working directory. The app needs to access a number of files, including sound files, toolbar image files and the default.ini setting file. The only way for the app to access these files using the Jeode JVM is for everything to be plopped right in your \ directory. This makes for a big mess, but it works. The IBM Java client is very cool. It is just a pitty it is such a pain to get running.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wwell, its easier with sun's personal java. but jeode is already preinstalled on your nb pro so i can understand why you chose that route
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8