x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Non-PDA in-car GPS/Sat Nav Suggestions

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 7:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have been asked by a friend to tell them (yea, they want me to do it) what to get in the way of GPS for their car. There is an awful lot to chose from out there, so I was thinking, who else better to ask about during my musings regarding what they feel is the optimum in-car, n00b friendly GPS system than a bunch of uber geeks! (that'd be you lot).

Here are the specs of this mission should you choose to accept it.

• H/PC isn't an option ...neither is Piddle PC.

• It needs to go into a Jaguar

• The driver is a complete technophobe

• The driver is as blind as a bat

• The driver is easily distracted

• The driver has a proven track record of RTA mishaps at the hands of very large lorry drivers

• Needs to be removable

• Cost is of little consequence - provided it can be proven to be justified

• This isn't for me, the above list does not apply to me - except for the bit about Piddle PC

• Driver and C:Amie live in the UK

Also, any recommendations on a reliable fitter in the UK?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 8:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 8:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

IWAY or Garmin 376 series. The IWAY is very easy to see, its populat for use on GOLDWING motorcycles.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 8:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi,
The Nuvi looks a little small. The person in question doesn't have the best eyesight in the world, so the bigger the better really. The street Polit looks interesting, provided I can find it here - Says US only. I can only find a 2720 here.

stftclmshell,
Again I can't find the 376 in the UK & I think the iWay is another us model, as I find nothing on google UK.

I was looking at:
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=125359&partner=register
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 12:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie, did you see the 7 inch Garmin GPS? Here or Here
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 1:14 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ok, let me start with I have NO FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE with this product, but a co-worker has one and likes it. It gets extensive advertising here in the US and there are European maps available (see link on page below for them - it is an extra cost so...).

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=77&Section=210&Language=4

Supposedly very easy to operate; may be just the ticket for your needs. It's portable, touch screen, voice instructions for when to turn, etc. It even has bluetooth to handle phone calls. Also, I haven't followed up on this, but just so you know - I believe Garmin is sueing them for some reason, so you may want to follow up on that before you buy.

Edited by Cyberstorm 2006-02-17 1:20 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 2:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi, again models that are not available in the UK.
Thanks though.

Cyberstorm, it is going to be a toss up between a TomTom and "the rest". A strong recommendation that it is intutitive for "anyone" is good to know. Thanks.
 Top of the page
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-23 11:17 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Did you decide on one yet C:Amie? When you do let us know. I also ran across this one;

http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Specials

The only thing is, I don't know if the European maps they have work with this device or not? Funny there product is called WorldNav, but as far as I can tell the only maps on the darn things are US and Canada.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

That WorldNav machine obviously runs Windows CE.

According to http://www.mightygps.com/teletype/teletypeworldnav3000xl.htm is has Windows CE 4.2 .

So, perhaps if your friend ever gets more computer literate, you can hack it to expose the H/PC shell for him and get him to use it as an H/PC. ;P
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

No offense, but yer buddy needs a chauffeur way more than he needs a GPS. IMO. You did say cost was no object

Edited by wallythacker 2006-02-28 1:38 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 3:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cyberstorm, not yet no. I've sent off my research along with your suggestions. There is still plenty of time to change their mind.

I have never seen (or heard of) the TeleType's before. I will look into it. If I can convince them that they need a CE based GPS, of course I will do so. Depends on whether it can be obrained locally - they're not the kind to be playing the international markets.

wallythacker,
It's a she actually... and yes she does. The car is far too big for her, a 2L state of that art, high end Jaguar that her husband wanted her to have. Unfortunately she was side swiped by an artic last year, just a complete, total, amazing set of circumstances that she walked away without needing hospital time / worse.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12